Williams FW31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Williams FW31

OMG :shock:

Best looking car of 2009 confirmed. That new nose is beautiful =D>
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

spaman

I am sorry. But I really really couldn´t resist:

axle
axle

Much higher than it was.

I'm surprised at how many quite different noses Williams are using, I'm wondering if they feel that different noses are needed for different tracks (low drag and high DF). Or on the flip side if they are just really confused about the right way to go. They are certainly investing in testing, but I'm amazed they've actually got 3 or 4 variants already.

This version is certainly pretty.

- Axle

Mitsuhirato
Mitsuhirato

Looking at those pictures of the new nose makes me wonder if they could be trying a formula that as already worked before. The side picture could almost pass as a FW17 to me... But it could be just me.

djos

Scotracer wrote:OMG :shock:

It's a very good looking car but it's no RB5 so I'll declare it 2nd best looking car for '09. :mrgreen:

PS. I'd luv to seem Williams, RedBull and Ferrari dukeing it out for the WCC this yeah. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Scotracer
Scotracer

djos wrote:
Scotracer wrote:OMG :shock:

It's a very good looking car but it's no RB5 so I'll declare it 2nd best looking car for '09. :mrgreen:

PS. I'd luv to seem Williams, RedBull and Ferrari dukeing it out for the WCC this yeah. 8)
The Red Bull to me is the one of the ugliest cars (about as ugly as the Renault). It has too many components "stuck on" and has many sharp features (the front wing, the nose, the ridges on the monocoque, the engine cover and the rear wing).

djos

Scotracer wrote: The Red Bull to me is the one of the ugliest cars (about as ugly as the Renault). It has too many components "stuck on" and has many sharp features (the front wing, the nose, the ridges on the monocoque, the engine cover and the rear wing).
Each to their own, I like both designs and both "look" fast to me. [-o<
"In downforce we trust"

Roland Ehnström

I love how different the cars are! I find the Ferrari gorgeous, the Williams with the new nose beautiful but perhaps a tad boring, the McLaren and Red Bull extremely interesting, the Renault totally crazy, the BMW boxy and the Toyota just plain ugly.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Picture request: Anyone have a high resolution (at least 1280 wide) picture of the FW31 today running that new nose?

Danke ;)

autolover

tomazy wrote:Image
from the top view,I feel losing sth a lot without bargeboards,and gravity centre is moving backward,which impose more loads on the rear tyres and front wings for balance,I suppose
Yes,we can

Moanlower

Nakajima admitted that he has never pressed the KERS button on the steering wheel, and Rosberg revealed that this situation is not likely to change for some time. In fact it's quite sure they will race the first 6 races without KERS.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

ISLAMATRON

Seems like the teams we thought were leading in KERS are falling back while the lagging teams are progressing faster than first thought.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Looking at some basic videos about flywheel technology, I have to say im surprised Williams were the only ones going that route. It just looks so much simpler and more elegant, than a chunky and inneficient battery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAVSEv5 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcIt0FP ... re=related

Here´s hoping it does well!

axle
axle

With Williams long nose, and positioning of the driver...

What are the chances that they have manage to package some of the KERS flywheels in the nose? Is it any more dangerous than having a 100,000rpm flywheel behind them? If not - would that not help the weight distribution...
- Axle

pjobmathew

Williams FW31 - final livery

Here are images of FW31's final livery.

Well i feel its really sick . The earlier one was so cool .It made the car look like batmobile :lol: .

Also could anyone show me where the 'S' to commemorate Ayrton Senna is ???