Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong

Re: Red Bull RB5

would it be allowed to connect the rear wing like this?

djos

Wow, if they really have done that it will certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons! :lol:

I notice that the trailing edges flair out slightly creating another diffuser like effect! Very Nice! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw

imightbewrong wrote:would it be allowed to connect the rear wing like this?
Where's the actual diffuser?? Doesn't appear to be one, I think this is just a red herring...

tomazy

Well if the sideplates of the rear wing give them an advantage, i am preaty shore that they can be easily replicated by other teams. But lets wait untill tomorow to see the pictures of the real car.

mariof1

Yes, endplates are allowed to go as low as 50mm above the reference plane.

At least I can't find any specific article proving me wrong.

i70q7m7ghw

:lol: I'm telling you, it's done like that on the model as a place holder. There's no diffuser on the 3D model. Also by doing that with the endplates they lose out because they wouldn't be able to use the maximum width available for the diffuser...

wesley123

Diesel, there is an diffuser on it, you cant see it very well tho, it looks realy simple on it.

I dont know, but maybe those deep endplates add the downforce that it lost by the diffuser. Deep end plates gain dowforce, in this case add an venturi effect and it keeps the turbulent air away from the diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ian P.

WOW....Great video.
Interesting comments from Vitel...reduced wake, punching in KERs at the wrong time...opens up some discussion topics.
I found it interesting they were showing the KERs being connected to the front of the crankshaft and not through the transmission as I would have expected. Through the transmission would be more applicable to a road car, but F1...different beast.
If I recall, there is a statement in the KERs rules that says it can not be charged up prior to the cars going on track. This means if it is to be used at the start of hte race, it can only be charged on the formation lap. For a system that would be charged under braking only, this will be difficult.
With the arrangement of the generator/motor on the front of the crankshaft, the system can be charged by the engine, completely independant of the braking system.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

Conceptual

Even if it isnt on the launch, they may owe one to the modeling department of whoever made this video for a legal idea tht may have a practical use in F1.

Maybe this is why Newey delayed the car? He saw the video, and was struck by the same idea?

Who knows?

tk421

Diesel wrote:

Where's the actual diffuser?
I see the horizontal 175mm line across the back. Could it be that they just chose to use two huge channels instead of the 4 or 6 channels that the other teams are using? e.g.:
ESPImperium wrote: Image
Anyway, we'll find out tomorrow.... :)
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

slimjim8201

The CG model in the video looks nearly identical to the press release photos. High and thin nose, large bargeboards, downwardly extended rear wing supports...

xpensive

Beautiful piece of engineering that, but I wonder how do they plan to get a husky Aussie with a broken leg into it. What, they don't...?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ben_watkins

Here's the official pics..

http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/v/Re ... B5/Launch/

=D>

Nice looking race car! Such a tight coke bottle shape!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

djos

Wow, what a brilliant Car, Webbo was right, Newey did design a beautiful Car!

and the model was right, the Rear wing end-plates do jon with the rear diffuser! :o
"In downforce we trust"

timbo

Surpisingly close to video!