Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Red Bull RB5

Another pic of the rear end
Upper wishbone seems to be conneted to sort of keel. Not a deDion, though :D

Mr Satay

anyonelse notice neweys new take on the shark fin at the rear? alot smaller then last years but still there, funny how renault have continued with a design newey introduced last year yet hes abandoned it for this year!

Shaddock

timbo wrote:Another pic of the rear end
Upper wishbone seems to be conneted to sort of keel. Not a deDion, though :D
That upper wishbone better be made of sturdy stuff, the exhaust exits right below it :!:

timbo

Shaddock wrote:That upper wishbone better be made of sturdy stuff, the exhaust exits right below it :!:
I think they are probably metal, notice that they are thinner than usual modern wishbones.

bgroovers

timbo wrote:Very interesting take on the endplates

And looks like he still have friends in Macca))
Has anyone else noticed the pod banging below the tub between the wheels? Im guessing this is for ballast as i can see no other purpose for it...

i70q7m7ghw

Testing device to measure ride height is it not?

Roland Ehnström

What is that drop-shaped thing hanging down underneath the nose, is that a camera?!

Edit: Sorry, I see bgroovers already asked this question. But what is it?
Last edited by Roland Ehnström on 09 Feb 2009, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

timbo

bgroovers wrote:Has anyone else noticed the pod banging below the tub between the wheels? Im guessing this is for ballast as i can see no other purpose for it...
It is ride-height laser sensor. Ferrari used it for years and many others used too. It is the lack of turning vanes below the nose cone that exposed it.

Sawtooth-spike

Really like this car. Lovely Design.

The coke bottle shape is amazing. Also the exausts are quite old school, nearly come out into the defussor.

Probably the most WOW Car of 09. With the Least WOW car being the renult (subjective)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

ESPImperium

What has struck me about the RB5 is that they are still not using the zero keel suspension on the front, Red Bull are the only people to still use a V keel hybrid i think.

That front wing looks to have plenty downforce to it.

The rear wing is deffo intresting looking.

No Shark Fin, intresting since Red Bull introduced it first last year.

This pic is intresting:

Bardgeboard on the wing mirror supprot, very intrsting.

Waiting for the rear diffuser pics tho. Those will be intresting.

Shaddock

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Really like this car. Lovely Design.

The coke bottle shape is amazing. Also the exausts are quite old school, nearly come out into the defussor.

Probably the most WOW Car of 09. With the Least WOW car being the renult (subjective)
I think we all want to see a shot of the rear (diffuser and crash structure), this could be biggest wow factor on the car.

joseff

One of the reasons the back end is so tight is because this car carries the KERS batteries below the fuel tank.

Along with the engine exhaust blowing directly to upper wishbone base, the Red Bull team motto for 2009 is clearly "What, me worry?" :lol:

djos

If Webbo and SuperSeb cant knock BMW off their perch and mix it up with McLaren & Ferrari this season I'll be shocked! The RB5 is easily the most radical and clever '09 car of them all - Newey is a freakin Genius! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Shaddock

ESPImperium wrote:What has struck me about the RB5 is that they are still not using the zero keel suspension on the front, Red Bull are the only people to still use a V keel hybrid i think.
It looks like they have just attached the bottom wishbones to a small hub at the bottom of the nose to improve the suspension geometry. More single keel, than V or no keel. Ferrari did the same with there first zero-ish keel car. They attached the wishbones to small pods on either side of the nose.

Has Newey been forced to seperate out the steering arm from the upper wishbone due to the high nose, or is it a positive move to improve aero?

timbo

Shaddock wrote:Has Newey been forced to seperate out the steering arm from the upper wishbone due to the high nose, or is it a positive to improve aero?
If you consider McLaren, which also has very high nose, it is logical to consider this pacaging/CofG driven decision.