Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
meves
meves

Re: Red Bull RB5

From what has been said it's likely to be his driving style pushing the engine further by using the kerbs more and so he blows more engines than other renault engine users.
Revs: The average engine speed at this circuit is relatively high, but the main danger for the engine comes from potentially over-revving when the car is launched over the kerbs and the driven wheels lose contact with the ground. We need to manage the risk of over-revving as well as possible, by judicious use of the rev limiter, without sacrificing performance over a flying lap. However, in race conditions, excessive use of the limiter can generate potentially harmful vibrations for the engine, so we may ask the driver to modify his shift points or adjust his line to adapt to this constraint

djos

Maybe he just plain lacks Mechanical sympathy?
"In downforce we trust"

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

djos wrote:Maybe he just plain lacks Mechanical sympathy?
I like that phrase .. "mechanical sympathy". But too much of that and you're slow.

Terrible3
Terrible3

richard_leeds wrote: My other thought is that (with hindsight) it might be better to have a team quota for engines. That gives them a chance to smooth out any problems due to bad luck with one driver, but maintains the same number of units used. The downside is that some teams would give the number 1 driver a new engine nearly every race, the number 2 driver would have to make his engines last longer, or use second hand engines passed down from the number 1.
Personally I think the driver already takes a large enough penalty with his DNF that any further penalty is stupid. I think that if the engine expires in a race the team should be allowed to install a new one with no grid penalty for the next event. If there was no engine freeze this would be a bad idea, but since they are frozen I don't see the problem with this. I think with the current situation it would be a real shame to see the championship determined by engine penalties rather than the drivers performance.

As far as Vettel being an engine killer, I think its more down to lady luck. Even if he was driving overly hard both engines failed overly prematurely.

ISLAMATRON

Could be a batch problem... until they take the engines back and analyze them they wont know. A domino effect really, afer blowing the first one, he dipped further into the supply and into the bad batch sooner than Mark... so he gets all the bad batch parts back to back. Or maybe it is from an effort to give him the stronger engines(since there is a slight variance between them coming out of the dyno), but it somehow backfired. Or maybe it is sabotage by a raging Webber fan in the team(or at renault engine). :wink:

djos

I've never liked the restricted engines rule - fair enuf 1 per driver per weekend but after that it became un-F1 imo.

I still remember fondly the unlimited engine days when they ran qually hand-grenade motors that lasted for about 5mins at max output! :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Wow! I just saw Vettel's front wing via TV. That thing is all flicked up! More elements than I've ever seen on it. Interesting on a lw drag track like Spa. I'll be looking for pics ..

Here's a pic that gives you an idea of all the different layers of fliip ups in front of the tires. I lokoed and could not find any shots of the wing layout I saw on the P2 feed when the track went red, and they had to push Vettel back to the garage though. It also had some elements on the inside area of the wing, along the legal edge of it.

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_188.jpg
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 28 Aug 2009, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

di44ety
di44ety

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

[quote="di44ety"][/quote]

Transcript anyone? That guy really has to work on his english :wink:

StrFerrari4Ever

Yes and he needs to talk a little bit slower you don't need to preview everything that quickly like his being held at gunpoint

timbo
timbo

Are they running with old nosecone all weekend?

djos

timbo wrote:Are they running with old nosecone all weekend?
yeah skinny nose but the wing itself is different.

Webber seems to be having an Exhaust/engine problem. :(
"In downforce we trust"

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

timbo wrote:Are they running with old nosecone all weekend?
Actually, on Friday they ran with the wide one. They just switched Saturday. This motor thing is going to cost them ..

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 08 Sep 2009, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

djos

DaveKillens wrote:The engine saga at red Bull continues. Now Webber had to change his unit, and on first impression, it extonerates Vettel.

It's frustrating for us fans because in cases like this, teams and suppliers almost always never divulge the true reason for their mechanical problems. So the truth is we're guessing more than actually discussing the true facts.

But one thing for sure, the Renault engines at Red Bull are having more problems than on average.
Apparently Webbers engine didn't actually expire, it was a faulty coil causing his power loss and Renault can rebuild it.
"In downforce we trust"