Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

Scotracer

Re: Force India VJM02

vasia wrote:
Scotracer wrote:It looks like the VJM02 is a good car but just lacked downforce. On a circuit where downforce isn't key, it shines.
If it lacks downforce, how is it a good car? Using that logic, almost every car on the grid is "good" in some way.

So far, the FI cars have only been fast at Spa and now Monza, the two lowest-downforce tracks on the calender, where low downforce, low drag, and engine power are essential. Is this a coincidence; I think not. Monza and Spa are not your typical F1 tracks at all.

If FI can finish on the podium in Singapore or say Suzuka, then we can say they have a good car.
Take the wings away, and it's still a car. Take the chassis away...and it's no longer a car ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

axle

Random Comment: LOL at the people that voted NO...
- Axle

kilcoo316

vasia wrote:If it lacks downforce, how is it a good car?
Because it has very good -L/D figures.

Pretty obvious really...

zgred

axle wrote:Random Comment: LOL at the people that voted NO...
Other random comment: I recall quite intensive discussion that VJM02 is simply a copy of the MP4-24. Now it is a bunch of ideas from all the field and from Force India it self and it is beating MP4-24 from time to time. So good work FI.

marcush.

I asked myself for almost a decade ,just why the F1 minnows like Minardi,Arrows etc
not concentrate on the Special tracks for their development.This is the chance of the year to beat those teams who need to build a compromise car suiting most of the tracksas they aim for the title.So if you got 10%of the budget you stand a good chance to be very competitive if you concentrate on the one and best chance you will potentially have in the course of a year.And of course if you just have one top event ,you will also make life easier to produce reliability.Treating the rest of the year as a big test+optimise the car for The Day.
My idea was to build a Montecarlo special ,I have to admit...but the monza /Spa special is a really cool theme, bravo
FI does really impress ,hats off and shame ont the big names!

mstar

i am really interested to see how they get on in the remaining tracks have they got the medium/high level of downforce like the mclarens/brawn/redbull/ferrari to be so high up again??

kilcoo316

marcush. wrote:I asked myself for almost a decade ,just why the F1 minnows like Minardi,Arrows etc not concentrate on the Special tracks for their development.
Only recently with the engine rev limit has the power disparity closed up enough to make it a viable option.

However, yes, with the way things are now you are right. Perhaps the likes of force india and STR should be looking at this closely (maybe force india have been designing their car with this in mind).

i70q7m7ghw

zgred wrote:
axle wrote:Random Comment: LOL at the people that voted NO...
Other random comment: I recall quite intensive discussion that VJM02 is simply a copy of the MP4-24. Now it is a bunch of ideas from all the field and from Force India it self and it is beating MP4-24 from time to time. So good work FI.
Interesting how they have moved from the near the bottom of the pack to the front around the same time as McLaren as well :lol:

Mazdaboy

The Force India very-very good, but the Liuzzi's transmission dropped the seventh gear after the Curva Grande. So they don't stop the developments. I think this car characteristic is greatly different from the MP4/24. Go Force India!
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

axle

I get thoroughly fed up of people insinuating that the smaller teams can't possibly have done good work for themselves that they had to copy someone...

FI designed their car to HAVE a DDD but didn't introduce one until they had clarification from the FIA. Imagine if they'd gone for it at the start and had one in Oz..oh no then they'd be accused of copying Williams/Toyota/Brawn FFS...

The FI was designed to have a low L/D ratio...unlike the Williams (I assume). So it's not exactly surprising it goes like a rocket on a fast track. As they have gotten their DDD to work better and better and have developed the car they have advanced well - the technical team has clearly focussed on bringing together solid developments that have brought solid returns.

They deserve some god d*mn credit without a "copy"/"McLaren" etc etc insinuation being thrown in.
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw

axle wrote:I get thoroughly fed up of people insinuating that the smaller teams can't possibly have done good work for themselves that they had to copy someone...

FI designed their car to HAVE a DDD but didn't introduce one until they had clarification from the FIA. Imagine if they'd gone for it at the start and had one in Oz..oh no then they'd be accused of copying Williams/Toyota/Brawn FFS...

The FI was designed to have a low L/D ratio...unlike the Williams (I assume). So it's not exactly surprising it goes like a rocket on a fast track. As they have gotten their DDD to work better and better and have developed the car they have advanced well - the technical team has clearly focussed on bringing together solid developments that have brought solid returns.

They deserve some god d*mn credit without a "copy"/"McLaren" etc etc insinuation being thrown in.
Source for them developing a DDD car before the season please?

axle

Diesel wrote:
axle wrote:I get thoroughly fed up of people insinuating that the smaller teams can't possibly have done good work for themselves that they had to copy someone...

They didn't develop one until it was FIA approved. But they allowed for one in their design so that one could be incorporated easily. I'll post the link if I find it again.
- Axle

imightbewrong

axle wrote:
Diesel wrote:

They didn't develop one until it was FIA approved. But they allowed for one in their design so that one could be incorporated easily. I'll post the link if I find it again.
Vijay MALLYA: When we started the season I was told by my technical team that they were not clear about the diffuser. What I understand is that we designed the car with the possibility of having a diffuser should the rule get clarified, so we were able to introduce very quickly an interim diffuser in Bahrain and then develop upon it. We always planned to have a significant aero upgrade for Valencia which we introduced and then following on from there for Spa and for Monza and that seems to be working well for us. The car is quick and competitive but if we had started off with more clarity at the beginning of the year, maybe we would have done things differently, maybe not. But going forward into 2010 I hope that there will be clarity up front, so that everybody knows what they are doing and there won't be many surprises.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78521

axle

Thanks IMightBeWrong
- Axle

Vasco

The one advantage of having some technical support from Mclaren is that both teams can learn from each other. Both cars have different strong points and weak points and as a result they can take ideas from both cars to develop next years car.