Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

ESPImperium

Re: Force India VJM02

Singapore:

wesley123

Nice shot of the bodywork, seems like they decreased the size of the sidepods once again?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

scarbs

New mirrors mounted on the pod wing, not the cockpit side...!

bjpower

new spiky wings on the side of the cockpit
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1104-3715

Callum

bjpower wrote:new spiky wings on the side of the cockpit
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1104-3715
hmm, to create vortices over the top of the sidepod?

bjpower

I would assume so, in the pic they look very flat with 0 deg incline.
so they dont seem to be for directing air to an area ( unlike the brawn wing mirrors).

I just cant tell what the advantage is

raceman

where's that guy in the cockpit looking???

A-ha! :mrgreen: =P~ =P~

Fergie is walking from behind the car, staring at her :wink:

vasia

Well, now that the exceptions of Monza and Spa are past, FI is back to their usual ranking, languishing near the bottom of the grid.

I don't expect the remaining 3 races to be very favourable to the FI cars either, as the remaining 3 tracks require a fair bit of downforce and high speed stability in the corners.

perer

That is nonsense, Singapore (or as I call it Singabore) is an extremely high-downforce track with lots of low speed corners. The VJM-02 is fast at high speed, that includes high speed corners.
Suzuka should suit them, it is much more like Spa.

Btw they had some more updates for this race:
"new front wing package, bodywork modifications – including changes to the mirror mountings – bladed rear wheel spinners, front bargeboards and a diffuser and an engine cover update."
(from the team's preview).
I was able to spot everything besides that diffuser and the new front bargeboards.
Does somebody have a picture of their new diffuser?

ISLAMATRON

Suzuka is nothing like SPA(especially the new SPA)... Dont expect to see FIF1 anywhere near the front until at earliest Bahrain 2010, and that is highly doubtful as well.

perer

Well but you have to agree that Singapore is all but a good representation of a car's performance.
They won't be at the front at Suzuka, but should get into Q2 with both cars easily, it's only one week away so we'll know soon enough.

ISLAMATRON

There are much more F1 tracks like Singapore these days then there are like SPA, unfortunately. FIF1's points scoring opportunities are done.
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 27 Sep 2009, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

vasia

perer wrote:That is nonsense, Singapore (or as I call it Singabore) is an extremely high-downforce track with lots of low speed corners. The VJM-02 is fast at high speed, that includes high speed corners.
Actually, what you mentioned is nonsense. The FI car is fast at high speed corners? Really? Were you even watching the same F1 season as the rest of us?

Lets look at some results this season, shall we? GPs like Malaysia, Turkey, and China are known for fast, flowing corners. Where did FI finish in all those races? Near the bottom of the grid, as usual.

Spa is a big exception, as it is a *low* downforce track with high speed corners. No other low-downforce track on the calendar has high speed corners.

The FI cars being fast in a straight line does not make them good cars. The cars having really good low-downforce or aero efficiency alone also does not make them good cars. Much of this anyways can be credited to the superior Mercedes engines that FI uses. The FI cars have problems with low speed traction, with fast, flowing corners where high downforce is needed, with tracks where car balance is key, and also on tracks where high speed stability and braking stability are paramount.

As I said, now that the exceptional Spa and Monza have passed, FI is back where they usually are, at the end of the midfield and near the bottom of the grid, just like they have been ALL year excluding Monza and Spa.

rahulsampath

vasia wrote:
perer wrote:That is nonsense, Singapore (or as I call it Singabore) is an extremely high-downforce track with lots of low speed corners. The VJM-02 is fast at high speed, that includes high speed corners.
Actually, what you mentioned is nonsense. The FI car is fast at high speed corners? Really? Were you even watching the same F1 season as the rest of us?

Lets look at some results this season, shall we? GPs like Malaysia, Turkey, and China are known for fast, flowing corners. Where did FI finish in all those races? Near the bottom of the grid, as usual.

Spa is a big exception, as it is a *low* downforce track with high speed corners. No other low-downforce track on the calendar has high speed corners.

The FI cars being fast in a straight line does not make them good cars. The cars having really good low-downforce or aero efficiency alone also does not make them good cars. Much of this anyways can be credited to the superior Mercedes engines that FI uses. The FI cars have problems with low speed traction, with fast, flowing corners where high downforce is needed, with tracks where car balance is key, and also on tracks where high speed stability and braking stability are paramount.

As I said, now that the exceptional Spa and Monza have passed, FI is back where they usually are, at the end of the midfield and near the bottom of the grid, just like they have been ALL year excluding Monza and Spa.
I think FI will be in top 10 at suzuka.If we look at spa they were faster at sector 1 & 3 which mostly includes high speed corners and Vijay Mallya said that the recent updates introduced in singapore was mainly aimed at Suzuka.Better watch out,they may suprise us again.

vasia

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves, we shall see. If and when FI finishes in the Top 10 at Suzuka or other conventional tracks, then they can be given some credit.