Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Ferrari F10

segedunum wrote:Where are you getting this information from? We know when a team changes and engine but what we don't get to see is what engine a team actually uses in free practice and all we have is hearsay about what engines get used for what races.

As far as I know the FIA just makes sure that any engine that is used is in the allocated block of eight. There is no designated list of what engines were and weren't used.
Info can be gathered from quotes from the team.

Apparently Marc Gene told Spanish tv this weekend that they used the monza engine this weekend for the race and that they'll use the same engine for Yas Marina.

Alonso stated in an interview that the Bahrain #1 expired in FP in china, I have quoted that and posted the link multiple times now.

marcush.
marcush.

additional radiator openings .
there is an exclusion zone for sidepod openings since 2009 starting at a certain distance from the cars centreline .These vents are inside of this distance and therefor legal.

segedunum
segedunum

imightbewrong wrote:Info can be gathered from quotes from the team.
That's what I thought. The list quoted before is meaningless, in other words.
Alonso stated in an interview that the Bahrain #1 expired in FP in china, I have quoted that and posted the link multiple times now.
The problem is, we don't know what 'number 1' is or where that engine, whatever it was called, has been used. We certainly don't have a clue what engines are actually used in free practice. An engine might have gone in China according to Alonso but you can't tell which one that actually was.

forty-two

Arunas wrote:
zgred wrote:
Arunas wrote: Nice pic! I'd like to see another angle of this. A lot of bits and pieces there..
Bottom edge of tub looks in very italian way :?
Thank you! Is it possible to force some air invards at this angle? What must be the purpose of this, to create low pressure trap and lift some more air up to the top side of bottom?
I think that this is actually feeding air direct to the diffusor (possibly second deck), based upon this image:

In this, you can see that there are two ridges running the length of the floor, and apparently ending at the diffusor, presumably this is to augment the diffusor with relatively high pressure air taken at the sides of the splitter. Red Bull seem also to be doing something like this. Granted, these ridges might simply be for stiffening the floor, but excess weight with no benefit other than structural rigidity greater than what is absolutely necessary is unusual on an F1 car IMO.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:additional radiator openings .
there is an exclusion zone for sidepod openings since 2009 starting at a certain distance from the cars centreline .These vents are inside of this distance and therefor legal.
Correct. The gills have been used several times this year, for hot races. Other teams also use them.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

segedunum wrote:
The problem is, we don't know what 'number 1' is or where that engine, whatever it was called, has been used. We certainly don't have a clue what engines are actually used in free practice. An engine might have gone in China according to Alonso but you can't tell which one that actually was.
If you actually went and read the quotes you would see that he categorically states that it was the engine replaced in Bahrain that blew up in china. If we can't trust quotes we are pretty screwed. All we do here is educated guessing and I believe that a quote from someone within the team is a lot more trustworthy than just guessing based on nothing at all.

aral
aral

forty-two wrote: Granted, these ridges might simply be for stiffening the floor, but excess weight with no benefit other than structural rigidity greater than what is absolutely necessary is unusual on an F1 car IMO.
Adding ridges (hollow) can add rigidity with no weight gain, as the rest of the floor can be made lighter. It could well be air feeding the dd, but looking at the photos of Red Bull, the tubes are really too small to be of any effect, so strengthening appears to be the most likely reason.

forty-two

gilgen wrote:
forty-two wrote: Granted, these ridges might simply be for stiffening the floor, but excess weight with no benefit other than structural rigidity greater than what is absolutely necessary is unusual on an F1 car IMO.
Adding ridges (hollow) can add rigidity with no weight gain, as the rest of the floor can be made lighter. It could well be air feeding the dd, but looking at the photos of Red Bull, the tubes are really too small to be of any effect, so strengthening appears to be the most likely reason.
I suppose, if they need ridges for strength, they may as well also use those ridges for agmenting the DDD, but is doing so legal under the current regs?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

segedunum wrote:
Gene who works for Ferrari, and does commentary for La Sexta provides inside information on what engine is being used for each session. Domenicalli and Alonso have also given hints about what engines are being used throughout the season. Add this to the info. that the FIA provide of when a new engine is introduced, plus some common sense, it is fairly straight forward to work out which engine was used where. Hence the list i posted is not meaningless at all, it is completely correct. Judging from your earlier posts you've shown that you are pretty clueless regarding Alonso's engine situation, but don't bring down others who have worked out Alonso's engine situation correctly, based on reliable evidence.
We know that number 1 is the first engine used during FP and qualifying at Bahrain. We also know this engine was replaced after qualifying and assigned to free practice for the rest of the season. We also know that it blew up in China FP, since Alonso said as much.

timbo
timbo

Gerhard Berger wrote:We know that number 1 is the first engine used during FP and qualifying at Bahrain. We also know this engine was replaced after qualifying and assigned to free practice for the rest of the season. We also know that it blew up in China FP, since Alonso said as much.
It seems that the rumor was started by Auto Motor und Sport. I don't speak German, so I can't check the initial publication, but here's the repost http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... abu-dhabi/
Usually AMuS is quite reliable on information.
Care to comment?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

timbo wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:We know that number 1 is the first engine used during FP and qualifying at Bahrain. We also know this engine was replaced after qualifying and assigned to free practice for the rest of the season. We also know that it blew up in China FP, since Alonso said as much.
It seems that the rumor was started by Auto Motor und Sport. I don't speak German, so I can't check the initial publication, but here's the repost http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... abu-dhabi/
Usually AMuS is quite reliable on information.
Care to comment?
Funny that, they them selves wrote an article about how that exact engine blew up in china practice (if my German skills are still intact and I understood it correctly). Now how does that compute?
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 19499.html

autogyro
autogyro

Bottom line is they will be on the ragged edge with engines at the last race.
Expect even more cooling slots.

segedunum
segedunum

Gerhard Berger wrote:Gene who works for Ferrari, and does commentary for La Sexta provides inside information on what engine is being used for each session. Domenicalli and Alonso have also given hints....
Sorry, but that just confirms we don't really know what the engine situation is, other than looking at what we think has blown up and on that score they're extremely thin. What they say is not likely to reflect reality if it makes them look vulnerable.
We also know that it blew up in China FP, since Alonso said as much.
We don't know that at all. All Alonso really said was that an engine that they used at Bahrain had been chalked off - so he says.

Whatever though, if they don't have the engine that was replaced in Bahrain with low mileage on it that they will have been able to make their retrospective engine 'reliability' changes to, then they're in an even worse position. It could be that they've been able to recover an engine used early on in the season that they can make those changes to, which is probably why it hasn't been able to be used until Abu Dhabi.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

segedunum wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:Gene who works for Ferrari, and does commentary for La Sexta provides inside information on what engine is being used for each session. Domenicalli and Alonso have also given hints....
Sorry, but that just confirms we don't really know what the engine situation is, other than looking at what we think has blown up and on that score they're extremely thin. What they say is not likely to reflect reality if it makes them look vulnerable.
We also know that it blew up in China FP, since Alonso said as much.
We don't know that at all. All Alonso really said was that an engine that they used at Bahrain had been chalked off - so he says.

Whatever though, if they don't have the engine that was replaced in Bahrain with low mileage on it that they will have been able to make their retrospective engine 'reliability' changes to, then they're in an even worse position. It could be that they've been able to recover an engine used early on in the season that they can make those changes to, which is probably why it hasn't been able to be used until Abu Dhabi.
Please, read the quotes instead of just guessing:
"I am not worried," he said. "We lost an engine today, which is never a good thing, we would like to have all the engines perfectly OK. We knew that this engine was a little bit damaged after Bahrain, it was the one we replaced in Bahrain before the race so we are not too worried.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ap ... lure-china

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

segedunum wrote: Sorry, but that just confirms we don't really know what the engine situation is, other than looking at what we think has blown up and on that score they're extremely thin. What they say is not likely to reflect reality if it makes them look vulnerable.
Gene is a reliable source. We do know what the engine siutation is, it is just you that is being extremely stubborn and refusing to believe the information we provide (all gathered from reliable sources).
Alonso's comments after FP1 in China:

"We lost an engine today, which is never a good thing, we would like to have all the engines perfectly OK. We knew that this engine was a little bit damaged after Bahrain, it was the one we replaced in Bahrain before the race so we are not too worried."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ap ... lure-china

What more proof do you want?
[/quote]

Once an engine is used, the reliability upgrade can not be made to it. Eitherway it's irrelevant. They'll be using the Monza/Interlagos engine at Abu Dhabi.