Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gibells
gibells

Re: Ferrari F10

3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :
a) the volume between 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and 300mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane ;

b) the volume between 300mm rearward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template and the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 125mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane ;

c) the volume between the rear face of the cockpit entry template and 450mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 350mm from the car centre line and more than 100mm above the reference plane.

d) the volume between the rear face of the cockpit entry template and 450mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template, which is more than 125mm from the car centre line and more than 675mm above the reference plane.
The surfaces lying within these volumes, which are situated more than 55mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, must not contain any apertures (other than those permitted by Article 3.8.5) or contain any vertical surfaces which lie normal to the car centre line.

3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures, any of which may adjoin or overlap each other, may be added for the following purposes only :
- single apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of exhaust exits. These apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mmP2 when projected onto the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 350mm from any other point on the aperture.
- apertures either side of the car centre line for the purpose of allowing suspension members and driveshafts to protrude through the bodywork. No such aperture may have an area greater than 12,000 mmP2P when projected onto the surface itself. No point on an aperture may be more than 200mm from any other point on the aperture.
(thnx Ringo)

I don't see any mention of the outlet having to start as soon as the exhaust outlet starts. You may be privy to information I am not, but on the basis of 3.8.5 I see no problem with their gills as is.

Crabbia
Crabbia

is this a new diffuser or just a good angle of the old one?
i havent heard of any new diffuser so im going with old.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Is the back of the engine cover new (click for high res)?

Compared to Bahrain, looks like they indeed have made the outlet bigger, perhaps to fix the overheating problems from Bahrain.

Mr Alcatraz

Does anyone have a pic of the new front wing Fred used today?
As scheduled, both cars were fitted with the engines they had on Friday and Saturday in Bahrain.
On Fernando's car, we also tried a new updated front wing, which gave positive results.
Tomorrow, it will be available to both drivers."
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=361606
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

narkie
narkie

hi all, do ferrari have new flow straighteners on the monocoque sides at about the drivers' waist? i noticed them best during the onbord shots. ideas anyone?

zgred

raceman

zgred wrote:Image
I was just wondering where zgred might be with his detailed and quite interesting non-regular pictures and voila, you popped up!

:-k

zgred

raceman wrote: I was just wondering where zgred might be with his detailed and quite interesting non-regular pictures and voila, you popped up!

:-k
Hey raceman, as always I am here :]

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Tazio wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the new front wing Fred used today?
As scheduled, both cars were fitted with the engines they had on Friday and Saturday in Bahrain.
On Fernando's car, we also tried a new updated front wing, which gave positive results.
Tomorrow, it will be available to both drivers."
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=361606
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 5/731.html

Bahrain race.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ringo

Why are the ferraris so hard to pass?
I think they are playing dirty with the gurneys on the wing end plates. Not bashing the team but i find it suspicious the vertical sides of the endplates have gurneys on them.

Just a thought.
For Sure!!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ringo wrote:Why are the ferraris so hard to pass?
I think they are playing dirty with the gurneys on the wing end plates. Not bashing the team but i find it suspicious the vertical sides of the endplates have gurneys on them.

Just a thought.
Looking at them I would initially say they are for stability under yaw.

ringo

Ok, i know the surface area of the end plates, the fin and the relative distances from the contact patches and COG, are the main factors in Yaw stability. Never knew Gurneys played such a roll.
In any case, they seem to increase the width of the wake.

The cars were visually difficult to follow closely. The same goes for that McDonalds wing on the Renault because of its dihedral in the middle. Hard cars to pass...
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Could that have been a deliberate design idea? Make the wake worse so that the car is harder to pass?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Could that have been a deliberate design idea? Make the wake worse so that the car is harder to pass?
Oh yeah, and have more drag so the car would suck on the straights.
C'mon people. Compared to tyres, diffusers and actual wing those things are tiny contribution.

raymondu999

Whoa. I was just asking... I'm not one of the more technically-knowledged people on the forums. There wasn't any need to be hostile... not all people here are aero geniuses you know :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法