Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.

Re: Lotus T127

Jarno and Hekki have +/-.5m of tolerance to stop the car ...the team will monitor their point landings and can see just how much the stop is affected by them noz hitting the perfect zero spot.from this you can decide where you need to improve..
If the reason for your dodgy stops is the driver not hitting the point ,your pitstop drill on thee 0 mark will be useless...so the first thing is to get an idea just how precise your heros can hit the spot ...and go from there.every detail needs to be adressed.they prepare for next year already and this is serious.

raceman

Thnx for explaining. Never seen those with other teams though, so was curious.

n_anirudh

From Mike Gascoyne's twitter
Jarno called into scales so no pit stop training. It is never easy!!!

Pit stop training on the in lap for the boys
I'm rather surprised that an experienced driver like Trulli cannot get his spot right..

Miguel

n_anirudh wrote:From Mike Gascoyne's twitter
Jarno called into scales so no pit stop training. It is never easy!!!

Pit stop training on the in lap for the boys
I'm rather surprised that an experienced driver like Trulli cannot get his spot right..
Well, maybe Trulli is +/-0.40m, and they want him to get to +/-0.20m. I'd guess it also sends the pitcrew that *everybody* here has to improve, that the drivers are not untouchable aliens to worship but (gasp) part of the team.

PS: When you think about it, braking from 100 km/h to 0 within 20 cm is pretty damn accurate.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

marcush.

especially when you think about the brake performance heavily depending on brake temps wich come down rather quickly and don´t forget they are in the rearmost pits.
so no brakepoint entry 60km/h area ...the brake rotors will run for several seconds
at lowish temps ...

747heavy

Marcus´s explaination is correct IMHO

It´s not uncommon to see these things. (also used in DTM for example)
It can/will also be used to tell the driver how much he
over/undershoot the stop so he can adjust his braking point.

If he constantly over/undershoots by a certain amount, they can
adjust the position of his reference point (lolly pop or whatever he
uses as reference).

In short it´s part of the trainings process to ensure quick/proper pitstops.
Used to be much more important with refuelling, as the range of the fuel hose was
limited.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marcush.

I dont see any team placing a mechanics hand as driver reference over the front tyre.
They all do it withthe front lift touching the board ..as you do in touringcars and sportscars .I think that is incridibly tough to judge for the driver.hand over tyre is an easier target.

mycadcae

gear box problems are not complete, and each race will have?. Now that the real problem? ..
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

mycadcae

Each race will have a problem. Engineers do not monitor all the problems arise?. I am very disappointed
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

747heavy

Cosworth engine rendering:

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

astracrazy

Lotus straight line testing at Duxford tomorrow (01/09) so hopefully our first look at a monza set-up? (similar to Renault last year)

ChrisTipper

Nice cosworth engine....and lotus seems to make it work for them.

And the car seemed quite good at spa, maybe Monza they could get closer to the midfield
Engineering student,but still learning alot about Formula One cars and I can Admit that

astracrazy

at duxford today

Italiano

Doesn't look like the Monza package to me...
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

raymondu999

I think the car is more downforcy and draggy rather than slippery. Mike Gascoyne said before Canada that the straights of Montreal were a concern
失败者找理由,成功者找方法