Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
autogyro

Re: Lotus T127

axle wrote:
autogyro wrote:I live close to Hingham
So do or have you worked at Hethel if you live near Hingham? I have.
I have undertaken consultancy work for both 'Team' and Hethel, mostly when Tony Rudd was MD and earlier, various projects mostly power train.
Tony was a regular visitor at my company in North London.

Holm86

ive heard some rumors that lotus is getting into a cooperation with the old toyota team.

horse

Holm86 wrote:ive heard some rumors that lotus is getting into a cooperation with the old toyota team.
My belief was that they already had some of the Toyota staff on their books, hence the Toyota style front wing. This certainly gives potential for further collaboration.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

marcush.

I ´d rather say this is a sort of joke in toyotas direction....If they were into that they would have aquired the TF110 already last year.
But somehow Gascoyne convinced Fernandez to shovel the millions towards Gascoynes
MG company near cologne ..and produce half of what the Toyota is .why should they now after one year go that route? Gascoyne would look like an idiot then or Fernandez has told him last year to do it cheaper ?

nacho

I don't think Toyota was out before they had to start doing the car.

marcush.

tbh you can stop a project at any time and you have to if you realise there is a viable alternative that will bring success quicker AND you can afford it.
That is somple project management ..you have to consistantly review what you are on and what is on the plate .
All things considered Lotus would have been in the position to aquire the car and score points in 2010 possibly even outscoring Toro Rosso with two drivers of that caliber.. so of course we do not know how much those two chassis would have cost
but surely not THAT much more than gearing up designing and building the Lotus T127 ..They would have been easily ready even if they needed an engine adaption and a new gearbox housing .How much in terms of money is on the plate for Toro Rossos championship ranking ? This is maths ,nothing else and the prospect of attracting big sponsorship coming into the game with a serious bang.

gridwalker

You also need to factor in contract termination costs : how much of a penalty would Lotus have need to have paid in the event of dropping the existing arrangements and breaching existing contracts.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

marcush.

eerm .. Gascoyne is the td of Lotus AND of course boss of MG enterprises who designed the Lotus T127.. would you ask from the hand that is feeding you to get termination cost when a truckload of work would be on th plate to adapt the Toyota?
Maybe that was the problem...toyota not willing to sell just the car and documaantation ....but insisting to do all the engineering and development to follow up...that would make sense.

gridwalker

MG enterprises would not have been handling all of the design/build/development work in house with the kind of time schedule that they were given for entry : a lot of work would have been subcontracted simply to get it built and implemented within the right timeframe.

It wouldn't necessarily have been MG enterprises demanding the termination fees, but others within the supply chain.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

marcush.

I´m quite sure that most subcontracting work is not really tied down as severly as you are painting it here.
Tony Fernandez talking about 4 people starting Lotus in Monza last year..You would not even have time to work out cotracts for all the subsuppliers.
To my knowledge this is a order downpayment or advance payment business .No compensation or contracts.
HRT has according to Kolles to put everything up front so everything you see is already paid in advance.
this is a 100% match to what i know about suppliers in F1 or Motorsport ...COD or prepaid ..nothing else.
There might be some companies ,especially engineering companies which go into a project writing invoices later ....but those are the ones who have to hunt for their money.

nacho

Someone wrote somewhere that Toyota wanted something like 30 million dollars for the cars, putting conversion work on top of that, and who knows maybe they wanted to only sell the cars and not the design fully.

ESPImperium

http://lotusracing.my/

Makes intresting viewing!!!

I am thinking that Lotus Racing will be known as Team Lotus before the end of the season and the Proton logos to be gone from the cars before the end of the season as well.

mycadcae

autogyro wrote:Email I sent to Lotus early in the season

I understand that Lotus F1 has a problem with gearbox shifting.
I would be pleased to give an opinion if I had the relevent detail.
I believe both Williams and McLaren have experienced gearbox problems with either missed or slow shifts.
In the past, I have experienced a reduced effectiveness and speed of gearchanges problem, when improvments were made to increase the speed of performance shifts. I am aware that changes have been made to the selector spools and mechanism by some gearbox companies this year, so perhaps the problem is in these components.
However, I could of course be completely wrong.
I live close to Hingham and I would like to see the extra second a lap in Spain that I think should be possible.

Of course aero is the main area of potential improvement, which is why they are building a wind tunnel.

I hope this problem will be to assist in the upcoming season. New season coming and all the other teams to the competition
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

mycadcae

ESPImperium wrote:Image
http://lotusracing.my/

Makes intresting viewing!!!

I am thinking that Lotus Racing will be known as Team Lotus before the end of the season and the Proton logos to be gone from the cars before the end of the season as well.
New Update

Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD