Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Red Bull RB6

What a nice shot! It clearly shows there is 2 holes on their EBD.

Thanks zgred!

BreezyRacer

I guess I don't get it .. I only see one port but it is a nice shot.

ringo

wow, look how flat the top of the diffuser is. This is another benefit of the pull rod suspension. Clean, fast, high momentum, flow over the diffuser, entraining air from under it.

Also not bellow the brake ducts, there is a multi element wing arrangement tangential to the floor. Exhaust gases flow through the elements as well.
For Sure!!

forty-two

ringo wrote:Image

wow, look how flat the top of the diffuser is. This is another benefit of the pull rod suspension. Clean, fast, high momentum, flow over the diffuser, entraining air from under it.

Also not bellow the brake ducts, there is a multi element wing arrangement tangential to the floor. Exhaust gases flow through the elements as well.
And they, like Ferrari have a semi-spherical bobble in front of the flap in front of the rear wheels. What might that be for?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

i70q7m7ghw

zgred wrote:Image
I'm not so sure about the 'first' hole which is highlighted, but the second one which is definately a hole in to the diffuser is immediatly right of the highlighted area - you can see light in there.

mep

great pic. but it makes me wonder what that thing is where you made your yellow circe.
For me it looks like its an opening in the floor (goind to the diffusor) but it is half closed by something.
Maybe they just test how big the opening can be.

Fore sure one of the best things on the redbull is his pull rod suspension.
Without it they could not get such a good airflow. The key is that you can rise your lower wishbone much higher without compromising the suspension.

marcush.

mep wrote:great pic. but it makes me wonder what that thing is where you made your yellow circe.
For me it looks like its an opening in the floor (goind to the diffusor) but it is half closed by something.
Maybe they just test how big the opening can be.

Fore sure one of the best things on the redbull is his pull rod suspension.
Without it they could not get such a good airflow. The key is that you can rise your lower wishbone much higher without compromising the suspension.
why coud you not rise the lower wishbone with pushrod?
you would anchor the pushrod to the upright anyways ,wouldn´t you?
the bad thing is of course the pushro will aalways be in the lower airstream ...yes.

scarbs

Also not below the brake ducts, there is a multi element wing arrangement tangential to the floor. Exhaust gases flow through the elements as well.
Yes this slots highlighted by the yellow circle, is indeed an extra inlet into the diffuser. Other teams have picked this detail up and in Germnay Mercedes and Williams also introduced an open front to their EB diffusers. Pics are in my automoto365.com analysis.....

marcush.

and Mclaren!

mep

But why it looks like it got semi closed?
How many wholes they want to make into this diffusor?
At some point it will stop to be an diffusor. Once the basic idea behind it was to creat an extension of the area below the floor. Now they fill all the area extension with air from above the diffusor. I must admit this starts to become strange to me.

marcush.

this area is not really difusser it is the footplate of the difusser ,the slot in this area is nothing new really they had similar shapes last year already,if i remember correctly.

ringo

Looking at this radiator, it seems to be a split in 2 or 3 units.
Notice that instead of 1 water pipe going in at either top or bottom, there are 2 branches.
Why have they done this? To lower pumping losses is one guess.
It may have to do with how much air is getting to the top of the radiator vs the bottom of it as well.

The position of the other 2 pipes in the middle is also something to take note of.

I always wondered why the renault packages are so tight, but yet nothing seems to be tightly packed under the redbull engine cover.
What's really going on?
For Sure!!

tok-tokkie

It is mysterious. The two right hand pipes join up so they are the inlet or outlet - 1 from the top & one from the bottom of the radiator. The two left hand pipes puzzle me as they seem to leave the center portion of the radiator without any in & out flow.

Twaddle

Looking at this radiator, it seems to be a split in 2 or 3 units.
Notice that instead of 1 water pipe going in at either top or bottom, there are 2 branches.
Why have they done this? To lower pumping losses is one guess.
It may have to do with how much air is getting to the top of the radiator vs the bottom of it as well.
I'm only guessing, but the reason that comes to mind for having 2 pipes would be to minimise any problems due to G-forces. Imagine the difference in what the water in the radiator is going to try and do under braking compared to acceleration for example.

mep

How about 2 big tubes on top are inlet, 2 smal tubes on bottom are outlet.
Seems to be a reasonable explanation for it.
We just need reason for doing so.