Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.

Re: Red Bull RB6

fizzer wrote:
autogyro wrote:So the jury is still out then and the FIA is still failing to clarify what
'ride height control' actualy is.
We all know that active suspension is against the regulations but how can ride height control be? Every car has it in one form or another.
Are they?
"Any system, device or procedure, the purpose and/or the effect of which is to change the set up of the suspension whilst the car is under parc ferme conditions will be deemed to contravene Article 34.5 of the F1 Sporting Regulations," it read, adding that; "any self levelling damper system is likely to contravene (article) 3.15 of the technical regulations."

Seems pretty clear to me. Now, what is "suspension set up"? Its broad enough that they could pretty much nail you no matter what changes under parc ferme.

Most the teams DO have ride height control, but they can only use it during the races in pit stops.

source: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=40453

putting in fuel is allowed under the rules.So a ride height levelling system is not changing the setup ,as it keeps the rh as it was with empty tank ..to me the whole ruling is written in a wrong way.

adam2007

I dont think they have any ride height control, they just have great downforce and its pushes the car down more than the others? The car gets pushed lower to the ground when traveling, as mr horner said they dont have anythink untowards on the car

autogyro

adam2007 wrote:I dont think they have any ride height control, they just have great downforce and its pushes the car down more than the others? The car gets pushed lower to the ground when traveling, as mr horner said they dont have anythink untowards on the car
Well other teams do not think so and the FIA has tried to clarify the regulations because of the RBs low ride height on track and high ride height in parc ferme.
I will say it again. All cars have to have a ride height control. It is part of how the suspension works to keep the car level and the unsprung mass under control.
I do not think the FIA has defined things well enough yet.
Mind you, this was exactly the same with the aero regulations. Both the McLaren wing blowing and the DD could easily have been banned if it was not for Fota and vested interests.

marcush.

autogyro wrote:
adam2007 wrote:I dont think they have any ride height control, they just have great downforce and its pushes the car down more than the others? The car gets pushed lower to the ground when traveling, as mr horner said they dont have anythink untowards on the car
Well other teams do not think so and the FIA has tried to clarify the regulations because of the RBs low ride height on track and high ride height in parc ferme.
I will say it again. All cars have to have a ride height control. It is part of how the suspension works to keep the car level and the unsprung mass under control.
I do not think the FIA has defined things well enough yet.
Mind you, this was exactly the same with the aero regulations. Both the McLaren wing blowing and the DD could easily have been banned if it was not for Fota and vested interests.
+1

with those carefully chosen words of Mr.Horner the only thing sure is:
1.they do not touch the car between Q3 and staart of the race for setup work.
2.they do not have nothing on the car contradicting the rules.

he did not say :we have nothing on the car allowing us to run the car optimised for qualyrideheights,right?

the bottoming out thing is really revealing as if the car will indeed bottom out under qualy fuelloads it will do so under race loads and even harder and longer.
dragging the car has never been the best of ideas...so possibly they run with ultra low tyre pressures in Q3?

Ialmost think they use temperature sensitive bumpstops ,you could easily warm them up to 60°C or more in the pits for Q3 with all those fans and blowers put on the cars it sems an easy option.
for the race you just put a piece of dry ice into the bag containing the bumpstop..and the suspension will be alot stiffer...

ringo

I think that car has a very distinct aero loading distribution, which in conjunction to the fuel load causes it to pitch the splitter as the fuel burns.

Simple moments shows that the spring nearer the load takes a bigger force. Now as the fuel burns the ride increases overall, but the load on one of the spring reduces at a bigger scale, so this spring will decompress more (depending on the spring selection). As the floor goes up,it pitches because of the disproportionate unloading; it can have some benefits as well.
It keeps the front wing down as well as the splitter.
The full detail of how this will work exactly is probably a mix bag of the springs in the front and back, the geometry, the aero, the damping etc. But i just have this general idea of what might be happening with the splitter scraping the floor.
For Sure!!

forty-two

Nice concept Ringo, i still think there's something going on with those trick exhaust outlets. I have no basis for this, and no evidence to support it.

It just strikes me that Red Bull alone have their exhaust layout that way, and ALSO they alone seem to have such good quali performance.

Perhaps we're seeing a combination of your concept, and something to do with the heat from the exhausts, for example, the air from the exhausts "wafts" onto some temperature sensitive rubber bump stops allowing them to slowly get more squashy. Your concept means that they need worry less about the front ride-height.

Whaddya reckon?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

imightbewrong

I'm guessing this is RBR too:

raymondu999

I wonder why they let a pic of their exhaust layouts slip so easily. And brake calipers on the bottom. Looks like RBR for sure.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong

raymondu999 wrote:I wonder why they let a pic of their exhaust layouts slip so easily. And brake calipers on the bottom. Looks like RBR for sure.
They can't do much about it, they aren't allowed to work behind closed doors.

Another one:

raymondu999

interesting. Are they actually measuring the weight and center of gravity?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

engineguru00

It would appear so. I have used a much less elegant solution before in small open wheeled cars, so I am assuming it works the same way.

The pads under each wheel are scales that tell them the static weight distribution of the car. The hydraulic rams on each side (I used wood blocks) are used to lift one side of the car higher than the other. By seeing how much weight shifts between the two wheels, you can calculate the CG of the car (don't have the equation on me).

As for the pictures up a post or two, I had no idea there were so many sensors packed in the front wheel assembly. Makes me think some of that ducting is actually for cooling the electronics as much as it is the brakes. The exhaust layout interests me because you lose 1% top end power for every 7.6kPa of back-pressure in the exhaust. I guess packaging/aero reigned supreme in this case. Im surprised I only see one sensor in the exhaust (looks wideband, but I dont know) right after the outlet. Means they can tell what banks are running what, but not individual cylinders. Most setups I see with sequential injection (not that sequential will have any read advantage over batch about 5000RPM) run a wideband per cylinder so the ECU can make corrections individually.
Chris
UB Motorsports: Formula SAE '08-'10
Powertrain Team Leader '08-'10
Captain '09-'10

drunkmunky

What is the website where you guys get these images?

raymondu999

wri2 :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

There's a clue in the picture...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bill shoe

Here's an RB6 picture link that is similar to the above ones, but not identical. Sorry, I don't know how to directly post the pic.

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13248816

It looks like the rear dampers are probably in the transmission case. Yea, the exhaust packaging does not naturally lend itself to its current exit, that looks like a rather forced location chosen for aero rather than exhaust performance. Look at the clear area on top of the transmission-- other teams with pushrod rear suspension would be quite compromised trying to copy the RB6 center air outlet ("mailbox outlet").