Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Dubliner

Re: Renault R30

The livery on this car is stunning. Though I have to share the others' disappointment. Because, this probably means that we won't see the new package in its entirety until the first race. I know cars evolve a lot from the first test to the first race, but with the oddness of this reveal (fitting an old nose cone and test '09 wing when the upper nose section is clearly this years inspired by the RB5) it probably means that Renault is hiding quite a lot.

I think we can look forward to new bits being revealed all throughout the weeks to come:
- New nose and front wing.
- Perhaps a new rear wing.
- Maybe new side pods, because they look quite similar to the '09 side pod shapes.

And the bag over the diffuser? It seems like feigning secrecy to me. That's probably the '09 diffuser under there but with a rush job to make it seem like it's more than what it is. The new one is probably sitting around to be fitted later.

Though I will agree that this chassis is '10 spec. It's just disappointing that we won't see the new car in its entirety for a while.

ElRebelde

I was just reading this analysis here: http://www.vivaf1.com/blog/?p=2342 and they point out some of the differences between the R29 and R30 that have already been mentioned here but they also note that it isn't the same nose at all.

It's convinced me that it is the 2010 car but I'm very surprised at how little the car has evolved since last year, it's not as if it was a great car that you would want to reproduce. Maybe Renault should have gone back to a clean sheet of paper?

Dubliner

The only reason I doubt that this is a developed '10 nose. Just look at the lack of the seamlessness (is that a word) towards the bottom of the nose cone where it joins the upper nose. I don't think that's shoddy build quality. Or am I wrong? :?

Confused_Andy

I think your right, the nose doesnt work in well with the body, the bit where the nose connects looks as if it wants to keep rising to a higher nose but rather its suddenly dropped to this 2009-esque nose.

I honestly think Renaults just bullshitting with this design as they were probably rushed to get one out on time so found some odd parts from development.

Fil

Kubica's new helmet has succumber to corporate colours.. [-X

VERY disappointed in that!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

manchild

Ok, you skeptics, there you go. It is different chassis, not just tweaks.

Fil

i think its pretty obvious this is the R30 chassis, floor, new suspension layout front & back & diffuser since they're hiding it. All other extremities are probably initial designs which, like all teams, will change by Bahrain.

The fact they've kept such a similar wheelbase is very impressive & shows some great work done back at Enstone. I suspect they've managed this by pushing the driver forward, rather than the engine back like others.
Fascinating that they had space to move the drivers forward & front susp back.. particularly when they've upgraded to taller drivers this year.

Chubby sidepods are an evolution of their 09 style, as well as McLaren's MP4-24, which was a race-winner by year end.

A relatively low nose cone bucks the 2010 trend, but where it attaches, the monocoque hints that a taller nose may be coming..

Now where do i buy my new yellow Renault hat & shirt? Go Kubica!!!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

i70q7m7ghw

Fil wrote:Image
Kubica's new helmet has succumber to corporate colours.. [-X

VERY disappointed in that!
I second that, I really liked Kubica's original helmet design!

ISLAMATRON

Last edited by Steven on 01 Feb 2010, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Be nice will you?

ringo

I am sorry for Kubica, worst move of the year!! :lol:
Pedro de la Rosa should be laughing his head off.
Why did Kubica move from Sauber?
This R"30" looks like it was only made to see Renault through the year and nothing else.
It is basically an R29. All they did was make new exhaust pipes. new suspesnion arms, they cut the styro foam chin off, hack sawed the nose at an angle and glued it on back. Simple adjustments that a team would make to update their car through the season. This does not look like 1 year worth of work, and i am not buying it from Renault.
This is downright laziness, just look at the cat notstril radiator inlets, they're the same thing from the R29!

This R30 must be one of the Pimp my ride lost episodes.
For Sure!!

manchild

ringo wrote:I am sorry for Kubica, worst move of the year!! :lol:
Pedro de la Rosa should be laughing his head off.
Why did Kubica move from Sauber?
This R"30" looks like it was only made to see Renault through the year and nothing else.
It is basically an R29. All they did was make new exhaust pipes. new suspesnion arms, they cut the styro foam chin off, hack sawed the nose at an angle and glued it on back. Simple adjustments that a team would make to update their car through the season. This does not look like 1 year worth of work, and i am not buying it from Renault.
This is downright laziness, just look at the cat notstril radiator inlets, they're the same thing from the R29!

This R30 must be one of the Pimp my ride lost episodes.
Kubica moved from Sauber because Sauber didn't exist in the time when he moved. BMW pulled out and the team was dead until Peter managed to save it at the last moment.

Obliviously you haven't took the time to check gallery and compare pictures. That is completely new car, without any big part from R29 fitting on it. New chassis, new floor, new suspension, new nose, new engine cover, new sidepods, new airbox, new mirros, new wings, new brake ducting. And yes, new radiator inlets. R29 had wider and shorter ones, with additional aperture for KERS cooling below radiator inlets.

That is called development. Just like F2004 was development of F2003GA, or just like R26 was development of R25.

As a matter of fact, exhaust is the only thing that remained untouched.

Can't wait to see them beating others with low consumption. It will be hilarious to see guzzlers with "revolutionary" design, fitted with fuel tanks 20 liters bigger than Renault's, cruising of save fuel mode, running of it, and being overtaken in the final laps.

WhiteBlue

I can't help myself thinking about janosch's tiger duck

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ringo

I know it's new, just teasing. It reminds me of how BMW makes a face-lift for the production cars half way through the model cycle.
The parts are ever so slightly modified, I can imagine them using the CAD software to change the dimensions on the R29 then run CFD, change then run change then run till the end up with the R30.
Williams started from ground up, this is a different approach, maybe more economical.

Hope it improves on 2009, the livery is too good to bee at the back.
For Sure!!

Fil

:lol: WB, its like a hand-drawn version of the car! excellent!

So a fuel tank more than twice the size has snuck into that car, yet the wheel base has only faintly changed.. i would suggest they've done more successful work than the huge wheel-based examples from Ferrari & McLaren!

:-k That 09 front wing plane.. the 09 uprights don't line up with the nose.. they've had to curve them in to attach it.
Hmmm, notice there's no FIA-mandatory cameras on the front..?
They'll most definitely be testing with them attached, but this nose assembly doesn't even have mounting holes..
i'm beginning to think its a dummy nose for the launch only..

joseff

manchild wrote: Can't wait to see them beating others with low consumption. It will be hilarious to see guzzlers with "revolutionary" design, fitted with fuel tanks 20 liters bigger than Renault's, cruising of save fuel mode, running of it, and being overtaken in the final laps.
Isn't it the other way around? Fuel misers would be lighter & quicker in the opening laps. By the final laps, *everybody* would be on fuel saving mode.