Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carlo's

Re: Renault R30

Interesting.

kwanchepan

different angle

forty-two

Carlo's wrote: Interesting.
Where were these taken and when?

Could it be that Renault are testing running the car without the F-Duct, but are doing so by removing the whole sharkfin-RW Flap?

Seems very odd.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

mith

It's from the young drivers test. Maybe they're simulating adjustable RW?

forty-two

I hadn't thought of that.

Surely running all the time without a RW would hurt like mad in the twisty stuff?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Arunas

One consider gearbox - is it enough only longer 7th gear to cover increase in top speed? Another thing, how much DF is lost without rear flap 1/2 of RW total (anyone with aero experience to know)? It can make aero balance totaly out of shape, as very long FW lever can reduce rear DF even more.
Thoughts?

Formula None

forty-two wrote:I hadn't thought of that.

Surely running all the time without a RW would hurt like mad in the twisty stuff?
Does anyone know, in general, what percentage of rear downforce is created by the rear wing vs. the ground effect? The diffuser always has more potential it seems, than a wing, but with the rules on undertray/diffuser being so restrictive I'm not sure if this is true anymore.
Arunas wrote:One consider gearbox - is it enough only longer 7th gear to cover increase in top speed? Another thing, how much DF is lost without rear flap 1/2 of RW total (anyone with aero experience to know)? It can make aero balance totaly out of shape, as very long FW lever can reduce rear DF even more.
Thoughts?
I was wondering this, too. Won't they just be banging off the limiter when the wing is cut to passing mode? Will the teams really want to gear their cars taller and end up spending most of there time on the straights in a 7th that's too tall?

mith

Formula None wrote:Does anyone know, in general, what percentage of rear downforce is created by the rear wing vs. the ground effect?
I think I saw some estimations on this forum a while ago, but I'm not too sure where exactly... Maybe it was in BGP 001 thread?

Going back to missing flap... The upper one was the one that was stalled, no? So maybe they're trying to check how effective was F-duct stalling to completely removing it. Maybe to calibrate their wind tunnel or CFD facility even better? But I still think it rather has sth to do with next year's adjustable RW.

Blackout

Renault F-duct stalled the primary wing not the upper one.

I think they are testing a prototype moveable rear wing...

viewtopic.php?p=210576#p210576

madly

FlowVis

[edit] removed photo of Virgin RW, still my favourite (thx wesley123)
This one is my favourite :D

and bigger previous photo published by Carlos
Last edited by madly on 17 Nov 2010, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

madly wrote: This one is my favourite :D
Thats the virgin front wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

madly

Compare those 2 photos - similar angle - is it illusion or RW has different angles of upper wing?

madly

and some more pics:

Arunas

Isn't flap in these last pics too far away from main RW profile?

kwanchepan

Re: Renault R31

The picture which is collected in 11/16 Abu Dhabi Test shows a very good angle of perspective and light to see the blown diffuser