Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild

Re: Renault R30

So, the louvers aren't louvers, but two longitudinal inverted wings.

Last edited by manchild on 05 Apr 2010, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Downforce

That's some serious shi*! :shock: =P~

Pit
Pit

Wow.. So much for the secrecy, I guess. It's like handing the competition the blueprints of Renault's car :wtf:

manchild

Pit wrote:Wow.. So much for the secrecy, I guess. It's like handing the competition the blueprints of Renault's car :wtf:
Yeah, Petrov's car was surprisingly well photographed after both retirements. Almost makes you wonder "how come someone with pro-camera was present each time?".
d10aus, d10ma... professional photographer for sure, pics named in order, just no watermark on them :-k

EDIT: Just checked, they are Suttons! How come there is no watermark on them, perhaps it was cut-out? :-k
JPEGsnoop wrote:*** Marker: APP13 (xFFED) ***
OFFSET: 0x00000014
length = 11992
Identifier = [Photoshop 3.0]
8BIM: [0x0404] Name=[] Len=[0x0FA0]
IPTC [0x1C02:000] Record Version = [0x0002]
IPTC [0x1C02:005] Object Name = [Formula One World Championship]
IPTC [0x1C02:010] Urgency = [0]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [F1]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Sepang]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Malaysian]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Malaysia]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Kuala Lumpur]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Grand Prix]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [GP]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Formula One]
IPTC [0x1C02:025] Keywords = [Formula 1]
IPTC [0x1C02:040] Special Instructions = [61 Watling St. Towcester, NN12 6AG, UK
T+44 1327 352188 info@sutton-images.com
Web: http://www.sutton-images.com]
IPTC [0x1C02:110] Credit = [Kalisz/Sutton]
IPTC [0x1C02:115] Source = [© Sutton Motorsport Images]
IPTC [0x1C02:116] CopyrightNotice = [© Sutton Motorsport Images]
IPTC [0x1C02:120] Caption-Abstract = [Detail of the retired car of Vitaly Petrov (RUS) Renault R30
Formula One World Championship, Rd 3, Malaysian Grand Prix, Race, Sepang, Malaysia, Sunday 4 April 2010.

PlatinumZealot

Jesus! Wing profiles inside a diffuser! I don't want to imagine what diffusers are going to look like at the end of the year!!

Anyway.. This is still rattling my head. Renault have found a loophole within a loophole... :wtf: They gots at least 4 very long holes under the car. From the Australia pictures.
Not to mention those two top vents in the Malaysia pictures, which some say are cooling vents for under the engine cover, but my gut says those upper cones stem from 2 more holes under the car (I am only 50% sure)... So that's 6 holes under the car the most.. And the thing is all these holes do not seem to comply with the regulations. Has anyone figured it out?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6721/d10mal1771.jpg

The two upper passages to the left and right of where the upper wishbone connects at the rear have been there since winter testing - these are exits for the diffuser. Behind those you can see another 2 openings which are sort of C-shaped - these are for cooling.

The reason why they have several holes under the car is actually to make it legal. You aren't allowed to see any bodywork when looking from directly below, so those curved profiles help achieve that.

manchild

n smikle wrote:Not to mention those two top vents in the Malaysia pictures, which some say are cooling vents for under the engine cover, but my gut says those upper cones stem from 2 more holes under the car (I am only 50% sure)...
The top holes are either fed by hot air from radiators, or their purpose is to accelerate air in the coke bottle region. You can see the curve at the bottom. It could be that perhaps hot air from water rad. reached the exhaust manifold and exits after coaling it through slit around exhaust pipe, and that air from oil radiators is fed directly in this top deck.
So, definitely not for louvers-wings.

ESPImperium

Im gonna say theres something posibly more simple going on here. We have been questioning the reason why the R30 has pretty much the same sidepod inlet design as the R29??? The answer im thinking is that taking a look at this pic, theres clearly a couple of splitters in the lower element of the sidepod, could theese be feeding simething aerodynamically??? Posibly feeding the DDD??? The compromise is the higher CoG than the Red Bull RB6, but the ammount of downforce created is why Kubica is so damnd quick, disturbing th natural order as the "best of the non top 4 team runners". One thing this car has is downforce, maybes not as much as say the Red Bull, but certainly more than many others.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3349/d10aus1806.jpg
Last edited by ESPImperium on 05 Apr 2010, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

manchild

Please, just link heavy images. That one is over 2.5 MB

Inlets are similar in upper area but not the same. Old ones were shorter, and had separate inlet for KERS cooling. Splitter exists, that's obvious, but it is there to split the stream for water/oil radiators. Besides, the top deck tunnel would be in total darkness if it was so.

Last edited by manchild on 05 Apr 2010, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

I'm a very visual person so you guys have to tell me with a picture or explain in more detail. I don't follow words just like that. In other words I am not buying those explanations that easily!
You aren't allowed to see any bodywork when looking from directly below, so those curved profiles help achieve that.
I have to press you on this one. The airfoil profile? I would still see bodywork from below. So it must be some other reasoning.

Onto the holes on top, my other interest is that those two holes on top have light shining through from the bottom. We need a picture of the Renault with holes coming out the sides of the engine cover near to the floor to see if whether these ducts originate above the step plane or below it.

The top holes are either fed by hot air from radiators, or their purpose is to accelerate air in the coke bottle region.
[/quote]

The inlet hole is about 3 inches across and the exit hole is about 10 to 12 inches across. That means this is an expansion cone or a diffuser cone. It would still work as a cooling duct and help the air evacuate from under the engine cover. But we must consider that most of the hot air would be at the top of the engine cover. And you would have to use a reduction cone on the inside of the engine cover to get the hot air to go so low and through such a small 3" diameter. RedBull and Torro Rosso have big holes located near the top of their engine cover.

I have not come to any conclusion yet, however I just have to point out these considerations.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

I don't know.. Cooling vent is definitely possible. But just the light issue that's bugging me. I know the duct goes under the control arms from looking at the pictures though.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw

n smikle wrote:I'm a very visual person so you guys have to tell me with a picture or explain in more detail. I don't follow words just like that. In other words I am not buying those explanations that easily!
You aren't allowed to see any bodywork when looking from directly below, so those curved profiles help achieve that.
I have to press you on this one. The airfoil profile? I would still see bodywork from below. So it must be some other reasoning.
Flip the car upside down and look directly down on it, I bet you that the you can barely see through those holes and anything you can see through them is thin air - otherwise yes they would be in breach of the regulations.

Pit
Pit

ESPImperium wrote:One thing this car has is downforce, maybes not as much as say the Red Bull, but certainly more than many others.
Judging by the straight line speeds they must have a low drag setup.. The question is whether the low drag = low downforce in this case.

I can recall Kubica saying that they actually lack downforce. Of course, Rob used to whine pretty much about everything in the previous seasons, but he's been surprisingly optimistic ever since he joined RF1. Therefore, I don't think he would be complaining about something that wasn't clearly wrong ;)

hecti

n smikle wrote:I don't know.. Cooling vent is definitely possible. But just the light issue that's bugging me. I know the duct goes under the control arms from looking at the pictures though.

I want a more detailed picture of the splitter!!
Looks way different than from the last race and the pics from when the car was in the air.
The center part looks raised and it almost looks like a brawn or williams snow plow, but less pronounced.

ringo

Pit wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:One thing this car has is downforce, maybes not as much as say the Red Bull, but certainly more than many others.
Judging by the straight line speeds they must have a low drag setup.. The question is whether the low drag = low downforce in this case.

I can recall Kubica saying that they actually lack downforce. Of course, Rob used to whine pretty much about everything in the previous seasons, but he's been surprisingly optimistic ever since he joined RF1. Therefore, I don't think he would be complaining about something that wasn't clearly wrong ;)
Those big holes would make it so that the car's down focre is less dependent on wing down force than other cars. The floor is where it's at, and this is why their balance is so good.
The Mcdonalds wing may also be a low drag design.

One thing to note as well about Renault is their radiator positioning. They are angled to have a very narrow frontal area.
For Sure!!