Sauber C29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.

Re: Sauber C29

Giblet wrote:Well, I figure since this car was started at the early dropping of the 2009 car, it would have been designed for the BMW lump with it's ancillaries and power characteristics.

The late and resource tapped switch to Ferrari engines would have played a major part in the design philosophy.

All the performance data and engine mapping on the ECU would have been new to learn as well.
yes ,but Honda Brawn did go through that as well and they performed.the difference was that BMW dropped a hot potato suddenly and Mr.Sauber stepped in only because BMW was going to let them die .
Brawn on the other hand was at the sttering wheel all the time and motivated the team to push forward as he was going to give them a chance to save their future.
quite a different starting point.

Giblet

True, but unlike BMW, Brawn had an ace up their sleeves with the DDD.

Problem with the 2010 cars is that they are, for the most part, an incremental step and not a revolution like the 2009 cars were.

I fear if Brawn was not on top of the DDD they would have fared little better than BMW did this year, against the might of the Red Bull's obvious basic chassis dominance, having no ace in the from of KERS or a DDD.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marcush.

Giblet wrote:True, but unlike BMW, Brawn had an ace up their sleeves with the DDD.

Problem with the 2010 cars is that they are, for the most part, an incremental step and not a revolution like the 2009 cars were.

I fear if Brawn was not on top of the DDD they would have fared little better than BMW did this year, against the might of the Red Bull's obvious basic chassis dominance, having no ace in the from of KERS or a DDD.
obviously Williams and Toyota had DDD as well and did not dominate at the beginning of 2009 .they were good but not the class of the field...

Mercedes shows that this incremental step is big enough to knock them fair and square out of the inner circle of those who compete for the win.

with the late form BMW sauber showed last year I ´d say it was entirely on the cards for Sauber to be towards the front of the second group with Merc,Renault,Force India,williams and TRand not at the tail of them.

n_anirudh

Pictures from 2010 Australian Gp.
Images from previous posts have been moved to this location.
http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz29 ... lain%20GP/

Afterburner

New engine cover with f-duct:

raymondu999

I would've thought they shouldn't have cut more holes in their car with their structural integrity as it is :roll:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Blackout

Mclaren... Ferrari...

Saribro

Intriguing detail on that floor, the center seems recessed, perhaps with some slits in it too?

zgred

Operation of the Sauber F-duct:

On - hand operate duct.

Off - two hands on the wheel.

ringo

The new Ferrari power helps a lot as well!

The car seemed to have surpassed the Force India.
For Sure!!

segedunum

The car certainly seems to be a hell of a lot better, which will reassure Sauber after the start they've had. Pedro de la Rosa suddenly jumping into sixth was a nice surprise, and being able to do that at Barcelona will give them much more confidence in the car. If they were miles off with no downforce then I'd go so far as to say the team's future would be under threat.

nacho

Again BMW/Sauber goes badly in Monaco after going so well in Barcelona. There must be something wrong with their suspension and balance that good aero compensated in Barcelona.

ringo

Since 2007 i remember BMW sauber always having grip and balance problems. Heidfeld was always complain about the grip. I think it's the understanding that their engineers have; they may need some new blood with new ideas. Same goes for Williams and their old engineers.
For Sure!!

lotus7

ringo wrote:Since 2007 i remember BMW sauber always having grip and balance problems. Heidfeld was always complain about the grip. I think it's the understanding that their engineers have; they may need some new blood with new ideas. Same goes for Williams and their old engineers.
Maybe James Key's ( ex F I ) influence already showing ?

mith

ringo wrote:Since 2007 i remember BMW sauber always having grip and balance problems. Heidfeld was always complain about the grip. I think it's the understanding that their engineers have; they may need some new blood with new ideas. Same goes for Williams and their old engineers.
That might be the case, as Kubica after his first experience with R30 said, that his new car has much more grip and is much better balanced than he was used to while driving for Sauber.