Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Expect the unexpected! :o
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ahhhh Dren,

Im eager too! I can almost make out the longer wheelbase! :lol:
Pics today do you think?
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Ahhhh Dren,

Im eager too! I can almost make out the longer wheelbase! :lol:
Pics today do you think?
We usually see garage pics on Thursdays, so I'm expecting some, just a little later than usual do to the time difference. [-o<
Honda!

MichaelW

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bild ... 025&sort=1

Mercedes coming up with a very very interesting solution for the airbox/F-duct I guess

RacingManiac

I guess with their single beam roll-structure the airbox inlet is not part of the tub....The looks kinda funny...

autogyro

Looks like intakes on the side pods and very little on the roll hoop.
Very interesting.

horse

I can't believe there is a direct drag reduction from moving the air box intakes. They must have the same cross sectional area, after all. So it's either some downstream effect (possibly less interaction with the rear wing) or another trick to get the aerodynamic balance a little further back.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83340
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

imightbewrong

RacingManiac

It looks very different, but is it really THAT different? Looks like the cut the front part of the inlet off as opposed to have it start at the tip of the roll "blade". Their intake is lower than the other teams to start with since you always can see the top of the blade above the inlet before. I can't see them actually make is smaller...and I wonder what that'll do in yaw in terms of engine power....

wesley123

WUT?!

well it is completely legal to do so and i understand it a pit, it decreases fronal area by an big part, probably with some loss of torque, but no much. Also i do not understand how they aregonna incorporate an regular F-Duct by now.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

antrock

is it my eyes or is it the fact that both intakes aren't actually touching the roll structure at their top?

dren

horse wrote:I can't believe there is a direct drag reduction from moving the air box intakes. They must have the same cross sectional area, after all. So it's either some downstream effect (possibly less interaction with the rear wing) or another trick to get the aerodynamic balance a little further back.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83340
The intakes do look smaller. They were larger because the roll bar/structure is larger at the front and was at the front of the intake. Now they are moved back to where it comes to a point. The sidepods look more undercut (hard to tell if they really are because the back of the bodywork isn't attached), the sidepod wing is shaped different, the front brake cooler intakes look different.
Honda!

bugref

a closer long but I am still looking what the nose and the front wing will look like, crap I wanna see the whole thing :P

Yups

http://www.sutton-images.com/preview.as ... esp164.jpg

That might be the nose. Looks same for me.