Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Why close anything?

Its a forum for people to talk about things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start closing topics for fun and deciding what people can and cannot talk about and I for one will be off to another forum.

PaulB

djones wrote:Why close anything?

Its a forum for people to talk about things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start closing topics for fun and deciding what people can and cannot talk about and I for one will be off to another forum.

That's also my opinion. If somebody comes in here who wants to build this car as a modell - such as I - could ask something about it. And here partly you get very good answers tips ect.

For the new car, there should be a new thread, that's right. But to close the old one I think, is unnecessary.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

tok-tokkie

I heartily agree with moderator intentions of trying to stop all the off topic crap that has crept onto this site. A year ago & the posts were informed technical discussions. Now the threads are blighted with uninformed opinions that get repeated ad naseum when they are challenged.

scuderiafan

tok-tokkie wrote:I heartily agree with moderator intentions of trying to stop all the off topic crap that has crept onto this site. A year ago & the posts were informed technical discussions. Now the threads are blighted with uninformed opinions that get repeated ad naseum when they are challenged.
+100

I completely agree. I'm a long time lurker and the reason I joined was because I enjoyed everything about the technical side of F1. Then I show up here and it's full of stuff about financial stuff, Ross Brawn, and Honda. Let's get back to the technical side shall we?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

7TTT

did anyone saw new (2011) parts on the w01 during the young driver days?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

scuderiafan wrote:
tok-tokkie wrote:I heartily agree with moderator intentions of trying to stop all the off topic crap that has crept onto this site. A year ago & the posts were informed technical discussions. Now the threads are blighted with uninformed opinions that get repeated ad naseum when they are challenged.
+100

I completely agree. I'm a long time lurker and the reason I joined was because I enjoyed everything about the technical side of F1. Then I show up here and it's full of stuff about financial stuff, Ross Brawn, and Honda. Let's get back to the technical side shall we?
Forum is for debate. If you want technical info there are very good blogs about, where one does not have the facility to express their opinion.
Most of what we see in F1 today cannot readily be explained by facts. Witness the RB6 and how it took many months of speculation to unravel its secrets.
Or the Mercedes W01, with the problems facing the car. It was from heated discussion that we got anywhere. Otherwise no one would have asked the question.
By seperating technical and non technical, you isolate those that dont have a technical understanding, thereby forming a basis for elitisim.

The great thing about F1Technical is those of us that dont have the understanding, can converse on a level with those that do.

I do agree that this thread has now probably run its course. W02 thread anyone?
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive

marcush. wrote:Schumacher is referring to his situation in MERC:

"Seitdem ich mit dem Chassis Nummer fünf unterwegs bin, auf das ich lange Zeit gewartet habe, ist die Situation wesentlich stabiler geworden. Unser aerodynamisches Paket, unser Auto funktioniert konstant. Seither läuft es auch bei mir. Ich komme besser mit dem Fahrzeug zurecht und kann es so fahren, wie es eben möglich ist."

Basically his words say: he has had to wait for Chassis No5 for a very long time to arrive and now as he got it the situation for him has improved significantly and has allowed him to exploit the package to the max and the car is operating with consistancy.He also states that now finally their aero is working now.
Question is what was wrong with the chassis Schu used before,as it was not a single one AND the part is homologated ,so cannot be modified ?
Don't take member marcush translation at face value, this is what MS really said;

"Chassis number five turned out to be just another shitbox, same crap-different day. The aerodynamic package constantly sucks and there's no way in the world that I can improve this hopelessness any further."
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

NewtonMeter

Hey btw, does anyone know if Mercedes used Mobil 1 this year or Petronas? Did McLaren and FI use mobil while merc used Petronas or how did it work?

Thanks
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

NewtonMeter wrote:Hey btw, does anyone know if Mercedes used Mobil 1 this year or Petronas? Did McLaren and FI use mobil while merc used Petronas or how did it work?

Thanks
I would have thought all mercedes V8's use Mobil. Very hard to design an engine like the FO108X and chop and change the oil without affecting somthing.
David Purley

raymondu999

That would make Mobil a very unhappy puppy with huge words "PETRONAS" beside the W01 though...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:That would make Mobil a very unhappy puppy with huge words "PETRONAS" beside the W01 though...
Title Sponsors.

Mobil have their deal with Mclaren.
David Purley

NewtonMeter

Yeah you're probably right JET. Nevertheless, I still think it's a bit of an awkward situation.

When the new engine regs come into play and we all get to see the exciting ( :roll: ) 4 cylinders, will it be designed to work with Petronas or Mobil?

Perhaps McLaren will make their own engine (here's hoping) and they will continue with Mobil, while Mercedes switches to Petronas.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Its all dependant upon performance.

Mercedes HPE in Brixworth would(as guess) prefer to deal with Mobil. Simply because they have for so long and any change in the dynamic would not be best, certainly not for Mercedes anyway.
David Purley

NewtonMeter

For all we know, Mercedes HPE made an engine or two especially for Petronas to try out so that the two companies can work together on engine matters in the future.

So for the next two or three years Petronas can get the hang of the Mercedes way of designing engines so that by the time the new regs come about, Petronas know how Mercedes roll, and vice versa.

IIRC, petronas used to be a BMW sponsor. I don't know if they made the lubricants for their engine, but if they did, they should know all about the demands of a modern F1 engine and be equipped to handle it.

I made this tinfoil hat myself, btw.

(And yes, I'm just speculating for the fun of it, because pretty soon we won't have anything to talk about for a long, long, long, long, long-long, long time).

NewtonMeter

Oh, and another thing.

Are Mercedes using the old Honda gearbox or are they using the same one as McLaren/FI? Is the gearbox in the McLaren one designed by McLaren or Mercedes?