Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

The McLaren gearbox is being used by FI, but Merc have their own gearbox department ...

EDIT :
Newton, is your sig a Douglas Adams reference?
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless, Published 1992
(one of my favourite books)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

gridwalker wrote:The McLaren gearbox is being used by FI, but Merc have their own gearbox department ...

EDIT :
Newton, is your sig a Douglas Adams reference?
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless, Published 1992
(one of my favourite books)
In fact, it isn't actually. I think it's from the "Murphy's Laws on Technology". But I'm very familiar with the works of Douglas Adams. I have bought read his most famous 5 works and love them to bits! I'm sure you know what I'm referring to. :wink:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

NewtonMeter wrote:For all we know, Mercedes HPE made an engine or two especially for Petronas to try out so that the two companies can work together on engine matters in the future.

So for the next two or three years Petronas can get the hang of the Mercedes way of designing engines so that by the time the new regs come about, Petronas know how Mercedes roll, and vice versa.

IIRC, petronas used to be a BMW sponsor. I don't know if they made the lubricants for their engine, but if they did, they should know all about the demands of a modern F1 engine and be equipped to handle it.

I made this tinfoil hat myself, btw.

(And yes, I'm just speculating for the fun of it, because pretty soon we won't have anything to talk about for a long, long, long, long, long-long, long time).
Entirely plausible.
And Im mulling the shortest F1 winter ever with great optimism :D
13 or so weeks till Winter testing!
More could have been done.
David Purley

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Entirely plausible.
Yeah, optimism certainly doesn't hurt! I'm looking forward to the Pirelli test tomorrow and will be watching like a hawk how the W01 goes about. I wonder if they will alter the weight distribution accordingly (next year we have a mandatory WD, as you'll no doubt recall) to comply with 2011 regs. It would be a better simulation, I'd imagine.

Ironically, here in South Africa it's actually "Summer Testing". Although freezing and with rain in Pretoria, so you wouldn't guess it. Oh joy.. :?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

NewtonMeter wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Entirely plausible.
Yeah, optimism certainly doesn't hurt! I'm looking forward to the Pirelli test tomorrow and will be watching like a hawk how the W01 goes about. I wonder if they will alter the weight distribution accordingly (next year we have a mandatory WD, as you'll no doubt recall) to comply with 2011 regs. It would be a better simulation, I'd imagine.

Ironically, here in South Africa it's actually "Summer Testing". Although freezing and with rain in Pretoria, so you wouldn't guess it. Oh joy.. :?
Yes The W01 will no doubt be optimised to get the best data for next year. Without any homolgation to worry about, we may see somthing slightly different from Mercedes.
Ps: I was born in pretoria!!
David Purley

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Yes The W01 will no doubt be optimised to get the best data for next year. Without any homolgation to worry about, we may see somthing slightly different from Mercedes.
Ps: I was born in pretoria!!
Yeah I would be delighted if they could modify a W01 to get it up to speed as they should have a long time ago. But I'm afraid if they start to evaluate the W01B, they won't have time to focus on the tyres.

Fantastic place, isn't it? Just a pity they want want to rename it. They would have a long time ago if the opposition didn't fight it tooth and nail. But it's better not get into politics on here. :D

747heavy

slightly off topic
afaik BMW worked with Castrol as a technical partner on their F1 program (see Williams BMW,Formula BMW; WTCC etc.).
The Petronas deal came with Sauber-AFAIK.

It is possible, that in the meantime Mercedes has provided some engines to Petronas to do some R&D, but Shell,Castrol & Mobil etc. to have some serious know how and resources in this respect.
Have a look under the bonnet of a new car, does it say Mercedes/AMG recommends Mobil1? This is where the money and the deals are for this kind of partnerships. The same goes for tire deals.
Tier 1 OEM supply is what is interesting for the companies such as Michelin, Bridgestone and Mobil etc.

There is a difference between a technical partnership and a sponsorship/marketing deal in motorsport.
It is not unusual to have different tech. partners and sponsors.
It happens all the time, not only in terms of oil/fuel companies.
See the LUK stickers on an Audi DTM, BWM WTCC or VW Paris-Dakar car?
They all use a SACHS-clutch and pay for it, while LUK gives them some money fo the stickers on the car.
No big deal.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote:Schumacher is referring to his situation in MERC:

"Seitdem ich mit dem Chassis Nummer fünf unterwegs bin, auf das ich lange Zeit gewartet habe, ist die Situation wesentlich stabiler geworden. Unser aerodynamisches Paket, unser Auto funktioniert konstant. Seither läuft es auch bei mir. Ich komme besser mit dem Fahrzeug zurecht und kann es so fahren, wie es eben möglich ist."

Basically his words say: he has had to wait for Chassis No5 for a very long time to arrive and now as he got it the situation for him has improved significantly and has allowed him to exploit the package to the max and the car is operating with consistancy.He also states that now finally their aero is working now.
Question is what was wrong with the chassis Schu used before,as it was not a single one AND the part is homologated ,so cannot be modified ?
Don't take member marcush translation at face value, this is what MS really said;

"Chassis number five turned out to be just another shitbox, same crap-different day. The aerodynamic package constantly sucks and there's no way in the world that I can improve this hopelessness any further."
=D> =D> =D>
exp,I´m sure you will be at ease to make friends quickly in Ravensburg ...if only by the fact that german people generally Have difficulty following english conversation let alone being able to understand english terminology...but seriously your "swedes" german translation is likely to be a bit more reflecting the CI /PR babble of Schumachers words I have to admit...I still tend to be too naive ,believing everything I hear in the first place after all these years....

Blackout

Look at this RW. I do not Remember Mercedes using this wing. It's different from the early versions, and the 'F-ducted' ones, its endplates are fully closed (no anti turbulences slots in them) and there is screws on it. Maybe a moveable RW with its mechanism placed on the wings ?

bjpower
bjpower

could be just to stop the young drivers using the f duct.
i assume its hard enough to get used to the car as it is.
last thing you want is a crash before the tyre test.
I dont think anyone will show off concepts for the rear wing at this early stage.

siskue2005

Rosberg just said that the Pirelli's are worse or equal to B'stones and it may not help them :cry:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88413

raymondu999

That's interesting. James Roberts F1 (@JRobertsF1 if you do Twitter) tweeted that: "Vettel reported that the Pirelli fronts were stronger and the rears weaker which caused the car to slide around more. #f1 #testing"
Last edited by raymondu999 on 19 Nov 2010, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

siskue2005

it seems that only Rosberg has bad thoughts about the tyres
Massa and rest say the tyres are great
We have to see what Schumy thinks after tomorrows testing

JohnsonsEvilTwin

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 13 Dec 2010, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This thread is not about Rosberg
David Purley

aral
aral

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 13 Dec 2010, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stripping another man-to-man fight out of here... sigh