Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

New teams can't keep up with the top teams since they have slower cars but Virgin also has "Build Quality" problems!
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zgred

wrcsti
wrcsti

looks like he also wins the title for most "tacked on" wing this year.

zgred

Shrek
Shrek

Red Bull like front wing
thanks to scarbs(for the umptenth time)
Spencer

ringo

seem faster than lotus in practice.
A new team battle up ahead?
For Sure!!

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

autogyro
autogyro

That exhaust is of no use at all.

godlameroso

The problem with these new cars is that they are just simply re-skinned, and re-badged GP2 cars. Most of the "regular" cars are underweight and use ballast to fine tune the balance. These new cars don't carry over the type of materials used on the regular ones, since their base comes from a lower formula. Hence they are mostly overweight.

The Acura lmp2 cars were dogs when they first came out, they didn't even have 3rd springs. They just re-badged and re-skinned a Courage LC70 and stuck a new engine in there. It wasn't until the year after that the car became radically transformed all that was left was the tub.

Perhaps Wirth think he can get away with this sort of engineering, which goes to show how different Lmp racing is to F1
Saishū kōnā

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

hmm, Isn't GP2 a spec series?

If so, how can these cars (apart from the HRT machine) be directly comparable to GP2 ones? Does this mean that the GP2 car designs are public knowlege?

Or am I taking you too literally?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I know i some times over-speculate, but the above is drivel.

The 3 new cars arnt based on a GP2 car, firstly their design is totally diffrent to a GP2/05 or even the new GP2/11 chassis. The HRT may have simmilar design concepts but even that is diffrent to the most part.

The Virgin and Lotus are totally diffrent, they are coming from a lower base because of material compromises, for example steel components and not carbon, and hydrolic systems that are about 5 or 6 years out of date, even a 2006 car has better hybrolic systems to what was in the 3 "GP1" cars you could call them.

You are right on the ballast thing as the material and system compromises mean theres less ballast to throw arround and ballance the car, but thats only about 50% of the problem. The other half of the problem is also design compromise as well, the fact that the designers of the cars have had to make cars that can relyably work on the track, also last a race distance not to mention go as fast as they can. Ultimatly those compromises lead to the sheer lack of load going thrugh the tyres and the apex of grip isnt there. Typically the "GP1" cars are arround 30-40 points off a car such as a Force India, and up to arround 70 points off a McLaren or Ferarri, and are probably as much as 80 off the Red Bull. To give some wild numbers for refrence.

PlatinumZealot

My opinion on this topic of the new cars being not much faster than a GP2 car is the level of development/refinement for the GP2 cars are probably higher. I like to think of it as the BGP01.. it wasn't the fastest base design as we saw it's speed plateaued after midway through 2009, but the level of refinement from the outset was way above the rest. These Virgins and Lotus's pretty much were designed and built in six months not to mention just a few days of testing. I am not too knowledgeable of the time and work that goes into making a GP2 car, but It must be more than anything those Virgins, Lotus's and HRT's ever got.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

^^^ Never thought of that aspect as well, but i must aggree with that line of thought!!!

So basically refinement, bespoke parts and simple downforce should make the cars faster.

forty-two

zgred wrote:Image
Wow, I'm sure that I have the same tea-tray at home that they used to build this wing!

Seriously, that is a very basic wing (in F1 terms!), kind of impressive that they do as well as they do with design like that. Well done VR!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?