Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

The more i look at that wing, the more it looks and is developed like a BMW Sauber F1.09 love child with the Red Bull RB5 to my eyes.

Personally, the Virgin is the prittiest of the new teams, but it is also the least relyable and one with least overall pace. HRTs car is actually the most relyable and the Lotus is the one with the best overall pace but neither are as pritty.

marcush.

glock had very good pace in hockenheim race ...maybe they will overtake lotus now.

ringo

raymondu999 wrote:It's not quite that simple though. That front wing, since last year, has to condition the flow to suit the rest of the chassis, as there are no more flipups/conditioners allowed on the bodywork (like the Ferrari canards/McLaren horns/dumbo wings). The front wing has to be designed to work with the body for maximum effect.
The front wing just has to be very good. A redbull wing would work as well on all the cars on the grid. They don't really have to match the car. They all basically serve the same purpose, within the same dimensional restraints.
I don't really take the interdependence of the wing and car too seriously. Yes they are related, but the relationship is not super critical.
Take for instance the F10 running with last years wing, and the lotus wing change. A better wing would make the car better. I don't think a better design can make the car worse.
For Sure!!

marcush.

do virgin HRT and Lotus have dedicated High Downforce aeropackages at all?

if not ,their downforce levels should be at least show a bigger gap or they they should carry more drag for downforce produced than teams with specific Highdownforce configurations..
could this contribute to the distance to the topteams increasing ?

raymondu999

Well I suspect that their highest downforce levels would still be unable to compete against Ferrari/RedBull etc, or even Sauber/Toro Rosso. In that sense, it'll make more sense to constantly run their "high downforce" packages, unless at tracks such as Monza where they'd make a low downforce package.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

raymondu999 wrote:Well I suspect that their highest downforce levels would still be unable to compete against Ferrari/RedBull etc, or even Sauber/Toro Rosso. In that sense, it'll make more sense to constantly run their "high downforce" packages, unless at tracks such as Monza where they'd make a low downforce package.
I think the problem is less the amount of downforce but the drag they carry for that As I understand ,efficiency is less important for high downforce slowish circuits as Montecarlo or Hungaroring..so i´d think for a new team these two would be the best opportunities to close the gap in performance?

zgred

ringo

Nick Wirth, Virgin technical director
“Geeks of the world - rejoice! After the disappointment of not demonstrating Virgin Racing’s performance progress in Silverstone and Hockenheim, we have finally managed to have a relatively smooth weekend with the revised VR-01 and have regained our place at the top of the new teams. Lucas’s day was looking very strong in FP3, but it seems that he ran wide at the beginning of qualifying which tore a big hole in his floor and damaged his front wing. This will have lost a lot of downforce and compromised his qualifying, but he will be strong in the race, as ever. Timo and his crew made a big step forward with the car overnight and we knew after his first run we were in good shape. His second run was another good step and he did a great job to give the team our best qualifying result since Shanghai. From the outset, Virgin Racing has dared to be different and I want to thank all the team, our partners, sponsors and fans for keeping the faith this year in our unique digital development process. In the meantime, we’ll focus on a strong race performance from both cars tomorrow.”
Good showing, looks like he was waiting to say that for ages. One victory for total CFD design then.
For Sure!!

marcush.

of course you visualize what is going to happen...even if it takes ages to get there..
Finally they have beaten ,Timo has beaten lotus in Q...
He stated ,it was a brilliant lap from him and he thought this lap in a competitive car would have been a guarantee for a top spot ...HE beat the lotus ....the virgin was three tenths to slow for this.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: proud man..and rightly so.

747heavy

:oops: upps - Sorry !! you are right
Last edited by 747heavy on 26 Aug 2010, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Carlo's

This is BGP001, heavy.

zgred

ESPImperium

What a VR/01 tub looks like:

This looks like VR/01-05 whitch is the T-Car.

seinfeld

congrats to Virgin Timo and Lucas both toping the Speed trap at monza, that shows their car is slippery, so now they just add some downforce and get around the corners :P

Francesc

Running this front wing it's quite normal that they're so fast down the straights