2011 F1 car concepts

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richied76

Re: 2011 F1 car concepts

forty-two wrote:
Richied76 wrote:flexable sidepod inlets. Not tested for flex so will be hard to test and outlaw. Wide at low speed for maximum cooling and close up under aero load to reduce drag....Just an idea
... would qualify as moveable aerodynamic parts, so would be illegal I fear. Nice idea though!

In fact, I'm fairly sure the Ferrari F430 Especiale (needs) road car actually had flexible wings to achieve precisely this.
Yeah i knew it was illegal i just thought its not really an area that you would look for flexing and theres never usually a camera looking at that area. Plus they would have to develope a way of testing the flex. The F-duct was a devise that was driver opperated so was legal...suprised they dont have fins on there helmets already

forty-two

Richied76 wrote:
forty-two wrote:
Richied76 wrote:flexable sidepod inlets. Not tested for flex so will be hard to test and outlaw. Wide at low speed for maximum cooling and close up under aero load to reduce drag....Just an idea
... would qualify as moveable aerodynamic parts, so would be illegal I fear. Nice idea though!

In fact, I'm fairly sure the Ferrari F430 Especiale (needs) road car actually had flexible wings to achieve precisely this.
Yeah i knew it was illegal i just thought its not really an area that you would look for flexing and theres never usually a camera looking at that area. Plus they would have to develope a way of testing the flex. The F-duct was a devise that was driver opperated so was legal...suprised they dont have fins on there helmets already
Actually that's not strictly true about the F-Duct. What made it legal (or rather meant that it was not illegal) was the fact that it contained no valves or moving parts other than the air flowing through the fluidic switch.

The question of a helmet mounted wing was discussed in humour in the "Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall thread" and someone pointed out that if such a device could be made, the forces it would produce (in order to be worth it's weight and drag penalty) would snap the driver's neck like a twig!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

raymondu999

After seeing the F150, and the W02 rendering, it's made me think. Are there still any benefits of having a ridged v-nose configuration? Wasn't it originally conceived to allow a similar "v" shape on the underside of the nose, hence letting more air through the sides of the underside? But now there are maximum chassis heights, and instead if we use a v-nose now, the central part of the underside would be restricting airflow, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico

raymondu999 wrote:After seeing the F150, and the W02 rendering, it's made me think. Are there still any benefits of having a ridged v-nose configuration? Wasn't it originally conceived to allow a similar "v" shape on the underside of the nose, hence letting more air through the sides of the underside? But now there are maximum chassis heights, and instead if we use a v-nose now, the central part of the underside would be restricting airflow, no?
Well the front of the platypus noses so far shown aren't v-nose. The v-shape doesn't start until almost to the driver it seems.

H. Zedozil

See the comparisons between all the cars that already launched:

raymondu999

Could you rearrange it so the Sauber is next to the Ferrari and the Lotus is next to the... well, Lotus? That way they're next to similarly-angled shots
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Ferraripilot wrote:I have a feeling RB7 and W02 are going to look nearly identical. Anyone else? Man I am excited!!
You musn't have a very high opinion of AN's work then? #-o

yes the W02 looks good from the little we've seen but I expect the RB7 to take things to the next level and set the bar very High (the Ferrari F150 is the benchmark atm imo).
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 01 Feb 2011, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this and following few posts brought over from the W02 thread.
"In downforce we trust"

Ferraripilot

djos wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I have a feeling RB7 and W02 are going to look nearly identical. Anyone else? Man I am excited!!

yes the W02 looks good from the little we've seen but I expect the RB7 to take things to the next level and set the bar very High (the Ferrari F150 is the benchmark atm imo).

I respectfully disagree. Newey is good, but this year will be en evolution of RB6. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just that we will not see something 'OMG' in the morning.

F150 the benchmark? Really, with those sidepods? I can't see it.

Byronrhys

Ferraripilot wrote:
djos wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Newey is good, but this year will be en evolution of RB6. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just that we will not see something 'OMG' in the morning.

Wow coming from a ferrari man :lol: so what would u say is the benchmark out of what we've seen so far? for sure the f150 imo, the side pods are slightly bulky but it makes up for it other places, also look back at 2009 and see what we had back then,

Ferraripilot

Wow coming from a ferrari man :lol: so what would u say is the benchmark out of what we've seen so far? for sure the f150 imo, the side pods are slightly bulky but it makes up for it other places, also look back at 2009 and see what we had back then,

Coming from a long-time Ferrari fan and multiple Ferrari owner no less! Nope, just not impressed with their car this year. I could be proven wrong with how quick it is though.

djos

Ferraripilot wrote: I respectfully disagree. Newey is good, but this year will be en evolution of RB6. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just that we will not see something 'OMG' in the morning.

Im not predicting anything radical however I'd be surprised if the W02 is as naturally fast as the RB7. I expect the W02 to be more reliant on the excellent Merc KERS system like the MacMerc of '09 was for outright pace (but less of a dog in general).

The f150's sidepods might be slightly bulky but it looks like the downstream airflow management to it rear-wing, diffuser and beam wing will be superb with that tiny tiny a$$.
"In downforce we trust"

timbo

Have to say, I am VERY pleased with cars this year.
It's been awhile since I've seen so many different ideas.
Sadly the front of the cars look more or less the same...

ringo

The funny thing about these innovations is that all of them can be copied given time.
Only the underlying structures are fixed.

I think we are in for a very close season. It may be down to mechanicals.
For Sure!!

timbo

ringo wrote:The funny thing about these innovations is that all of them can be copied given time.
Only the underlying structures are fixed.

I think we are in for a very close season. It may be down to mechanicals.
Rear crash structures and gearboxes are homologated, no?

mith

I know I'm asking a lot, but maybe there's someone here with proper skills, who's eager to make comparison of wheel base of cars released so far.