2011 F1 car concepts

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: 2011 F1 car concepts

ringo wrote:
timbo wrote:
ringo wrote:The funny thing about these innovations is that all of them can be copied given time.
Only the underlying structures are fixed.

I think we are in for a very close season. It may be down to mechanicals.
Rear crash structures and gearboxes are homologated, no?
I don't really know about the gearbox casing.
Well, if I think about it, I remember Ferrari did some tweaks of the gearbox to alter the pickup points for suspension when they put EBD. However, I don't know if fundamental change of design is possible.

ringo

timbo wrote:
ringo wrote:The funny thing about these innovations is that all of them can be copied given time.
Only the underlying structures are fixed.

I think we are in for a very close season. It may be down to mechanicals.
Rear crash structures and gearboxes are homologated, no?
I don't really know about the gearbox casing.
For Sure!!

vall

mith wrote:I know I'm asking a lot, but maybe there's someone here with proper skills, who's eager to make comparison of wheel base of cars released so far.
yeah, last year we had very good figures

ringo

Nice summary of what's going on with a good number of the cars this year:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/03/r ... l-rinland/
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:Nice summary of what's going on with a good number of the cars this year:

Nothing technical. I literally got nothing from this at all, apart from a guy enthusing about how great the Red Bull is, and how the rest have copied it.
Yet in the same piece he says Ferrari havent stuck the boat out and have evolved the F10 to the F150 :?
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Why is it that none of the cars this year have the 15cm slots in the middle of their rear wing? Has that been outlawed now?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
ringo wrote:Nice summary of what's going on with a good number of the cars this year:

Nothing technical. I literally got nothing from this at all, apart from a guy enthusing about how great the Red Bull is, and how the rest have copied it.
Yet in the same piece he says Ferrari havent stuck the boat out and have evolved the F10 to the F150 :?
Yeah, that piece is a joke. He got a hard on from the RB7 and said "neat" more times than any man should ever do. I'm not discrediting the RB7 at all though, it's a potent mix of cleverness and simple evolution which has proven to be a quicker than the rest almost two seasons in a row.

And although I'm proud of what they have accomplished, I'm awaiting the end of their "domination". A lot of cars now have similar solutions, although not as "neat" but still somewhere near the ballpark so it's possible that more teams give them a run for their money.

As for Renault, I have high expectations from the R31 but now that Kubica is out I'm doubting their potential to deliver on that.

Push rods, pull rods, L-shaped sidepods, and FEE's do offer an exiting season though. A trully special year awaits us!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard

mx_tifosi wrote: Push rods, pull rods, L-shaped sidepods, and FEE's do offer an exiting season though. A truly special year awaits us!
I hope you are not tempting fate.

FW17

We have now seen a path for the air to be fed to the beam wing from Mclaren. Can this be made more radical and the radiator be completely taken separated from the engine and fuel cell with the air channel extending all the way to the floor? Maybe the end of the coke bottle shape, but can this be packaged?

Teams can also run a mid-wing connecting the radiator pods to the main chassis.

raymondu999

I think a lot of this year's concepts revolve around getting quality flow blowing over the diffuser to energise the downforce it produces, or the beam wing, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

Could an air in take be routed into the exhaust manifolds to increase air speed through them making the diffuser more effective in terms of more downforce??? Or is that illegal???

As for another couple of things, could you put the exhausts coming out from step plane underneath the car, looking at some of then DDD pics from the last 2 seasons, like what Red Bull had in 2009, but in reverse and for the exhaust pipes???

pipex

Joerg Zander on 2011 cars (in greek). Could someone translate this?
http://www.gocar.gr/news/races/4567,F1: ... _mono.html
"We will have to wait and see".

bar555

pipex wrote:Joerg Zander on 2011 cars (in greek). Could someone translate this?
http://www.gocar.gr/news/races/4567,F1: ... _mono.html
As i am Greek i can give a crude translation on Zander comments

on Mercedes car :

Mercedes has a high top rear suspension wishbone and a very low one giving the impression that this configuration is able to change wheel camber angle while bumping . Pirelli tyres are still susceptible on degradation and an excessive camber angle will for sure cause overheating and excessive ware .

on Williams :

Williams has a very low differential maybe because they want to move it away from the airflow heading to the beam wing and to the diffuser because the engine cover is also so short at the rear . Let's hope that they did not face any heating issues caused by this arrangement and especially at driveshaft joints .

on Renault:

Renault's differential also stands very low . It seems that they emphasized on the beam wing design and they way it interacts with the diffuser

on Sauber :

Sauber seems to be conservative but there might be some thinks still uncovered
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

luca

bar555 wrote: on Mercedes car :

Mercedes has a high top rear suspension wishbone and a very low one giving the impression that this configuration is able to change wheel camber angle while bumping . Pirelli tyres are still susceptible on degradation and an excessive camber angle will for sure cause overheating and excessive ware.
Based on the latest tests, we might say this is exactly what is happening. :(

pipex

Thank you very much bar555 for the translation ;)
"We will have to wait and see".