McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Here's the link to high res testing shots that someone asked for (Click zoom, then show all sizes, then click original for super high res)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/

The red-bull is pretty long from cockpit back, hence why they have more room to package the rear before the end of the car, McLaren seem to have a longer car from cockpit forwards for some reason. Of course the super short (not necessarily skinny) packaging of the RB is the main contributor to the acres of floor space at the rear.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Predator

Chalke wrote:
Re: Red bull, I think the concept for what Mclaren are doing with the air here is very different, RedBull are taking a direct path the blow the outside edges of the diffuser, whereas Mclaren seems to be trying to use the exhuast to draw more air in and over the top edge of the difuser and away from the rear tyre.
Yes, I didn't mean they have the same concept for how they are blowing the edge of the diffuser, I meant the shape of the outlet being flat like RB. Sorry, should've been more clearer.

Edit: Yeah, I've been checking flickr regularly for photos.
Last edited by Predator on 20 Feb 2011, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

JB2011
JB2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/

This photo is from Jerez, not Barcelona. In the same area, the 'outlet' is quite a bit chunkier and looks even more like an exhaust outlet.

Formula None
Formula None

Chalke wrote:Presumably the slit would also be better at keeping the air 'low' and not spewing in all directions as typical exhaust 'pipe' might.
Chalke wrote: 2.More exhaust length is needed to convert the round pipe at the manifolds to the slot-shape at the exit, a sharp change in the exhaust pipe could limit airflow?
3.It prepares the air somehow, my knowledge of CFD is little to none, but could the u-bend even be a spiral to 'slingshot' the air to either increase speed or shape the airflow?
I agree. The exhaust might taper along the length of the slit to get more consistent flow through its entirety. If so, it would explain the u-bend. An couple of gentle bends may be less restrictive than aiming right at the slit directly. If so I imagine it would look something like this:

Predator wrote:Can I ask where you sourced your photos?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29617295@N ... 455987379/

PlatinumZealot

Interesting, it is definitely there. I guess my attempt was a good shot.
You notice that you had to add another U to your bend. Looking on the body of the car, It would be much easier not having the U there like the RedBull, not to mention the limited space looking on your sketch. So I say your theory is correct. But maybe there is more to the shape.

Same picture the side pods walled up. It might be more of a loop than a U i think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5 ... otostream/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

Torro Rosso's solution is the ideal.
Mclaren has the pipes twisting and turning just to let them out right ahead of the engine?
They could have blown the floor much easier.

Secondly i don't see the need for the slot, i don't know how well the air's gonna mix.
A rectangular trumpet shape would probably be better. They may try a few more things as well, this doesn't seem to be giving clear results, hence the switching back and forth between solutions.

Notice how redbull changed to the MVR type exhuasts. The cannon style probably works just as well as the slit.
For Sure!!

FemiA
FemiA

ringo wrote:Torro Rosso's solution is the ideal.
Mclaren has the pipes twisting and turning just to let them out right ahead of the engine?
They could have blown the floor much easier.

Secondly i don't see the need for the slot, i don't know how well the air's gonna mix.
A rectangular trumpet shape would probably be better. They may try a few more things as well, this doesn't seem to be giving clear results, hence the switching back and forth between solutions.

Notice how redbull changed to the MVR type exhuasts. The cannon style probably works just as well as the slit.
I feel we are looking at an unfinished car...

zgred

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

zgred wrote:...
and back they go again..

here's a post from the STR topic i wrote thats more relevant here. anyone agree?

I wouldn't be surprised if the cars have the same characteristics as last year. i.e the red bull has oodles of downforce and the mclaren is the fastest in a straight line.

Of course this is based purely on conjecture and hearsay from james allen, but that's all we can do at this stage.

If the redbull is able to use its DRS where no one else is, it suggests they have a higher base level of downforce than the other cars, which will be advantageous on corners, but once again limit their top speed.

Mclaren have those L shaped side pods channelling air to the RW, and their whole design philosophy suggests they are maximizing the value adds, such as Kers and the DRS. It's likely to be faster than a bullet in a straight line, but once again not as welded to the road as the red bull around corners..
Last edited by Steven on 21 Feb 2011, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't quote pictures when it's in the post above yours

JB2011
JB2011

Yeah, they are back to the standard exhaust system today. After 5 test days they still haven't decided, oh dear.

From Autosport:
McLaren are back-to-back testing different solutions and have resolved back to a standard exhaust system, that exits at the back of the sidepods, today.

To back-to-back different solutions at every test is a strange route for a team that would have the tools to simulate the various systems. The aggravation caused by having a complex exhaust system is not really worth it if you can't measure it in real laptime.
and
Word from McLaren is that Hamilton has an issue that will keep him in the pits until after lunch now.
Goodness me.

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

JB2011 wrote:Yeah, they are back to the standard exhaust system today. After 5 test days they still haven't decided, oh dear.

From Autosport:
McLaren are back-to-back testing different solutions and have resolved back to a standard exhaust system, that exits at the back of the sidepods, today.

To back-to-back different solutions at every test is a strange route for a team that would have the tools to simulate the various systems. The aggravation caused by having a complex exhaust system is not really worth it if you can't measure it in real laptime.
and
Word from McLaren is that Hamilton has an issue that will keep him in the pits until after lunch now.
Goodness me.
once again, I'm sure if they had fairly good CFD they'd have decided what to do before the car was even made surely?

I understand that there's no replacement for real running, but this is indeed a very strange thing to do.

Its also puzzling as to why they can't swap the exhaust systems over at night. and have one day of one config then one day of the other, saving themelves two hours of track time.

... this reminds me of silverstone, when they sent both drivers out on the same EBD config instead of running two diff ones side by side..

Very odd..

Shrieker

Anyone think Mclaren have messed things up in a hurry ?

2009 all over again ? Oh boy...

Edit: On another note, there isn't a complete aero ovehaul this year (as was the case 2 years ago) so they can't mess up that badly, no ? Fingers crossed...
Last edited by Shrieker on 20 Feb 2011, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Well it's too early to tell, but early signs are pointing that way. BUT they haven't brought out the fluorescent paint yet
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JMN
JMN

Ah, hold your horses. They are obviously still dialing in the car and as Jenson noted, aerobalance is extremely important in Barcelona. The few 10 lap stints we've seen from them doesn't look too bad in terms of drop off and Hamilton is topping the timesheets ahead of lunch.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Correct me if I'm wrong but before anyone else starts to worry about McLarens pace they have got reliability issues. Isn't there a saying like to finish first, first you have to finish?
Can I remind you too that McLaren have still to show their hand with the new rear wing (poss anything else too)
The differing exhaust layouts maybe for data gathering for high or low DF tracks this year. Teams can change the exhaust layout as much as they like from track to track so would they really want a load of DF at a track like Canada?
Also of all the exhaust pics I've seen, I think one 1 has the blue heat discolouration that we see on exhausts.Could all the other pics just be diversionary tactics like what we saw at RB last pre season with stickers that looked like conventional exhausts?
Let's hope im right [-o<