McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spencifer_Murphy

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

segedunum wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Quite a bold comment to make based on next to no evidence.
The MP4-18 was fast when it tested and looked fast from the off. It had a list of problems McLaren got cold feet about. The 26 doesn't look fast from the off at all. I said all this above.
Somehow I feel the MP4-26 will fare slightly better in as much as it will be on the grid in 2011.
Somehow? Based on what? The Renault certainly looks ahead from what we've seen over three tests, and we're looking at them being at the head of the midfield at best.
I think they are having some minor problems getting to grips with the car in terms of finding a setup.
They're having problems finding a definitive exhaust layout, nevermind a set up. Set up takes track time and having a working car - which they haven't had and haven't got.

The MP4-18 may have been fast but it was so fragile they didn't race it. Hence it's worse than the MP4-26. End of.

My feeling is based on nothing, a hunch, much like a lot of your comments which you pass off as fact. You'll notice I said: "Somehow I feel..." where as in this very post above you've said: "They're having problems finding a definitive exhaust layout" as it is it fact. Here's a fact: YOU CANNOT SUBSTANTIATE YOUR CLAIM. I have yet to see ONE photo that catagorically shows an alternative exhsust layout for Mclaren. Not one. We've only seen the pipe by the diffuser, and a pic where they aren't visible. For all we know the pipes could just be shorter and out of view in the second picture.

Finally you can bleat on all you like about exhausts, but the fact remains that my comment about their setup issues has been mentioned by Jenson Button, who I suspect might know more about Mclarens apparent problems than yourself. You'd have know this you you'd had read the other posts.

I normally dont get rialled, but unlike many others I have not once personally attcked your posts, I replied to your last in a constuctive and polite manner, and in return get my own intellect lambased by your derogatory comments about "reading" and am then subjected to a rather hypocritical comment about my hunch being based on no facts. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black? At least I say when I'm going on hunch.

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal comments.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

Sorry I forgot to mention:
segedunum wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Somehow I feel the MP4-26 will fare slightly better in as much as it will be on the grid in 2011.
Somehow? Based on what? The Renault certainly looks ahead from what we've seen over three tests, and we're looking at them being at the head of the midfield at best.
Based on the fact that it will be on the grid in 2011 - which was made abundantly clear in the section of my post that you quoted.

I am yet to understand what the pace of the Renault has to do with this part of the discussion also, as I simply said the MP4-26 would appear to be on the grid in 2011, I don't know how Renault's pace would change this?

antitomm

edit: Pic is from Day 2 at catalunya when button was running. I dont know whether it was with or without the U Bend.
Last edited by antitomm on 20 Feb 2011, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

murtoidf1

whens that pic from?

I guess thats the slit again, or is that slope at the end the exit...

murtoidf1

Just popped over to the STR thread and saw this

Alot neater, but the same philosophy as McLaren with a slot exahust outlet

segedunum

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 21 Feb 2011, 14:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: The MP4-18 is not the MP4-26

JB2011

murtoidf1 wrote:Just popped over to the STR thread and saw this

Alot neater, but the same philosophy as McLaren with a slot exahust outlet
Indeed. Obviously with the McLaren one pointing inwards you would hope that they had a good reason for doing it that way and considered the easier option (Toro Rosso) before deciding to do the more complex one they have.

They're the pros so I have faith in them, even though Hamilton wasn't running it today.

JB2011

segedunum wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:The MP4-18 may have been fast but it was so fragile they didn't race it. Hence it's worse than the MP4-26. End of.
No. The MP4-18 was fast and not unreliable. The MP4-26 is not fast and not reliable. Not rocket science and not a great combination.
Erm.
But it had more serious problems as the side impact structure failed the FIA’s crash tests. It also suffered some unplanned crash tests as both test driver Alexander Wurz (pictured) and racer Kimi Raikkonen suffered enormous shunts in the MP4/18.

Reliability was also a problem with the narrow side pods impeding heat rejection from the 3.0 litre V10 engine.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/07/11/t ... ver-raced/

Richard

Different teams approach this different ways. Some just stay on track all day churning out lap after lap, others are constantly measuring & monitoring multiple options.

McL happen to festoon their car with instrumentation and test different bits of kit. So what, live with it. Its what they do every year. One could argue the other teams have nothing to test, noting left to explore, they up a dead end. Personally I respect all the teams for doing what they do, doing what is right for them.

This is a place for observation and understanding of technical aspects of F1, and why teams do what they do. I repeat - observe & understand. These teams are way more intelligent and talented than any of us on here, if you don't get that then please go off to pollute some other forum.

Where is Ciro? This thread needs a calming dose of his therapeutic philosophy.

KeiKo403

richard_leeds wrote:Different teams approach this different ways. Some just stay on track all day churning out lap after lap, others are constantly measuring & monitoring multiple options.

McL happen to festoon their car with instrumentation and test different bits of kit. So what, live with it. Its what they do every year. One could argue the other teams have nothing to test, noting left to explore, they up a dead end. Personally I respect all the teams for doing what they do, doing what is right for them.

This is a place for observation and understanding of technical aspects of F1, and why teams do what they do. I repeat - observe & understand. These teams are way more intelligent and talented than any of us on here, if you don't get that then please go off to pollute some other forum.

Well said....I couldn't agree more! =D>

Spencifer_Murphy

And as JB2011 also shows, it had reliability problems.

richard_leeds wrote:These teams are way more intelligent and talented than any of us on here, if you don't get that then please go off to pollute some other forum.

I caouldn't agree more. ...

With regards the rest of your post its something I've not really paid much attention to: the fact that the teams can approach testing in such radically different ways with such different programs, even though they are all heading towards the same common goal: To understand and finalise their own machines before the season starts. Speaking of which, Aside from the diffuser on the first day of testing the MP4-26 I don't recall Mclaren using much in the way of pitot arrays ths year...

...does anyone know (or provide an educated guess) as to why this may be?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed comment on modded post

Richard

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Aside from the diffuser on the first day of testing the MP4-26 I don't recall Mclaren using much in the way of pitot arrays ths year...

...does anyone know (or provide an educated guess) as to why this may be?

Have you not noticed the rake that runs all the way across the underside of the floor? See scarbs' blog for more.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/02/1 ... ront-exit/

amouzouris

I think that McLaren can't extract the expected pace from the MP4-26...that's why they keep changing configurations trying to get what they want....just personal opinion..

RedTzar

"McLaren certainly can be there as well, though we're not certain what's going on with them - they're obviously early days with their new car."
From Mark Webber on Autosport, he believes Red Bull and Ferrari are leading (no surprise) and clearly the McLaren is an unknown, seems only McLaren know their pace at the moment. But I maintain, we haven't seen what the MP4-26 can do yet.

Spencifer_Murphy

richard_leeds wrote:Have you not noticed the rake that runs all the way across the underside of the floor?
No I haddn't noticed that, thanks! Nothing having the spare time I had as a student is really becoming apparent now LOL!