Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lycoming

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

doesn't seem to have provided them with the performance they were hoping for. odd decision to run it based solely on a bit of running in P3, Mclaren tested that DRS rear wing for ages before finally running it at spa. but I guess this is how they mean by being more radical.

beelsebob

Lycoming wrote:doesn't seem to have provided them with the performance they were hoping for. odd decision to run it based solely on a bit of running in P3, Mclaren tested that DRS rear wing for ages before finally running it at spa. but I guess this is how they mean by being more radical.
Not sure it's an odd decission tbh – they have nothing to lose and a lot of data on how it's working/not to gain.

Francesc

The 2012 wing is quite flexible

Lycoming

got a pic of the old wing under similar circumstances for comparison?

doink

haha, that's a beauty.

2012 is going to be laughable, well done to the FIA for entirely failing to sort this issue out, and lets all look forward to another attempted midseason rule change once the issue gets out of hand and extremely large amounts of cash have been wasted.

MIKEY_!

It has been sorted, it passes the test so it's legal, simple as that.
BTW Do they test the wing resting on something or does the test take into account nose flex as well.

ergenomic

Francesc wrote:The 2012 wing is quite flexible
It looks like they have successfully reverse engineered the Red Bull Monza wing left behind by Mark Webber at the Parabolica. I am referring to the Carbon Fibre layering technique to achieve flexibility of course; rather than the design of the wing itself. I read somewhere in the forum that half the front wing ended up with Ferrari.

King Six

ergenomic wrote:
Francesc wrote:The 2012 wing is quite flexible
It looks like they have successfully reverse engineered the Red Bull Monza wing left behind by Mark Webber at the Parabolica. I am referring to the Carbon Fibre layering technique to achieve flexibility of course; rather than the design of the wing itself. I read somewhere in the forum that half the front wing ended up with Ferrari.
Yup, RBR totalled their car in the worst place possible :lol:

Check this picture out, on the Autosport forums, making quite a few people laugh:

raymondu999

Put it side by side like that those look absolutely identical
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Put it side by side like that those look absolutely identical
Wow, you have to wonder how much Ferrari really took from that wing in monza.

amouzouris

doesnt this make u think that this is the reason they were in such a rush to make it....this might not be their 2012 fw...maybe they just made a copy of the rbr front wing to test it...

Javert

amouzouris wrote:doesnt this make u think that this is the reason they were in such a rush to make it....this might not be their 2012 fw...maybe they just made a copy of the rbr front wing to test it...
Maybe the "just copy it" talk in this forum have been taken too literally :lol:

With their announced pull-rod next year, we could see the red Red Bull!

beelsebob

Clearly it's not a copy, there's a tiny flange at the top of the end plate, and the red bull one has a tiny wing just above the main cascade wing, the ferrari doesn't. With diffrences that significant, they can't possibly have copied anything.

=D>

amouzouris

i have a theory which is something i've been thinking for the last week....if u think about it ferrari lost their mechanical grip after silverstone...and i was thinking that they might have not lost their mechanichal grip but its just the game with the EBDs...if u think about it changes with the EBDs came in Valencia where they were not allowed to change maps between qualy and the race...so they were forced to run less blowing in qualy as well...as we know the RBR style outer blown diffuser works very well at low speeds...so maybe the red bulls and mclaren have found a way to legaly change how much they blow their diffusers between qualy and race without really changing maps...also if you look at the footage between qualy and race day, you can hear the retarted ignition in the rb and mclaren cars much more in qualy than the race where as there's not really a difference with the ferrari...this would also explain the gap between ferrari and rb and mclaren in qualy which dissapears (almost) come the race..both in Japan and today in korea ferrari could keep up with rb and mclaren...what do u think??

shelly

I appreciate beelsebob irony. The two wings are so similar that it's strange there's so little noise about it
twitter: @armchair_aero