Team Lotus T128 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lotus7

Re: Team Lotus T128 Renault

MIKEY_! wrote:That became problematic did it? :lol:
Nope, I am not a pedant like some on these threads :wink:

conni

they will be team caterham air asia as tony has dropped the lotus name for a 20% share of the govt owned airline and has been put in charge of running it

conni

FW17

"Jarno Trulli: I suffered a lot with the old power steering system because it had been designed poorly." via @Jamesallenonf1

Why does a formula 1 car which has such a large turning radius need a power steering system?

conni

downforce makes the steering really heavy

conni

ESPImperium

Team Lotus T128 Chassis History:

T128-01 History:
Kovalainen: Valencia Test, Jerez Test, Barcelona Test #1, Barcelona #2 Test, AUS, MAL, CHI
Trulli: Valencia Test, Jerez Test, Barcelona Test #1, Barcelona #2 Test, CAN, EUR, GBR, HUN, BEL
Teixeira: Valencia Test Day 4, Barcelona Test #1
Valsecchi: Barcelona #2 Test, MAL FP1
Razia: Barcelona #2 Test
Chandhok: EUR FP1, GER

T128-02 History:
None (Posibly car they have used for crash testing and also the car they use for straightline aero tests now, also car for their 7 post rig usage)

T128-03 History:
Kovalainen: Barcelona #2 Test
Trulli: AUS, MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON, ITA
Razia: CHI FP1
Chandhok: AUS FP1, ITA FP1

T128-04 History:
Kovalainen: TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA
Chandhok: TUR FP1, GBR FP1, BEL FP1

bill shoe

Why power steering for F1? I think the "because they have downforce" answer is too simple and incomplete.

During transients (turning into a corner), steering wheel weight is heavy because the caster causes the steering motion to extend and compress the dampers. You are literally pumping the dampers via the steering wheel.

During steady-state cornering (holding constant steering in the middle of a corner), steering wheel weight is heavy because kingpin angle and scrub radius raise the front end of the car up from its non-steered height. You are literally holding the car weight and downforce up via the steering wheel.

The transient situation does not depend on downforce, but the steady-state situation does. It would be possible to make a car with no kingpin/scrub that had constant steering weight regardless of downforce.

I don't know which effect is more important in a typical modern F1 car. Perhaps the complex interaction of transient vs steady-state steering weight was the reason that Lotus couldn't just dial the power-assist boost up or down to satisfy Jarno Trulli.

King Six

Slightly off topic, but what car is this? It's a pre-2009 car outfitted in Team Lotus colours, which I can't really understand as they didn't buy anyone out for their F1 entry.

PaulB

That should be an early 2000's Arrows.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

RAF
RAF

PaulB wrote:That should be an early 2000's Arrows.
If that is the case I believe Paul Stoddard acquired a number of these when Arrows folded and had them as display cars dotted around Australian Airports, a few of which I believe were lifted from display and used as Super Aguris in their first year.

wesley123

nope, it's an 2003 or 2004 Toyota, Toyota were the only ones to run that flick up configuration.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gridwalker

Yeah Wes, I do believe you are right :

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

majicmeow

I know it was never an amazing car, but that poor TF103 deserved better than that :(

Maybe Tony F. has more from the old Toyota factory than meets the eye? ;)

MIKEY_!

Come to think of it the nose of the last Toyota and last years lotus had a lot in common.

dren

MIKEY_! wrote:Come to think of it the nose of the last Toyota and last years lotus had a lot in common.
Did't Team Lotus pick up a lot of engineers from the old Toyota team?
Honda!

raymondu999

They had a major falling out with FIndia too when apparently they picked up a replica of FIndia's wind tunnel model?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法