Force India VJM04 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Force India VJM04 Mercedes

ringo wrote:Isn't this the same as the mclaren unit?
It should be. They use McLaren gearboxes.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MIKEY_!

The hole under the crash structure, is that for any kind of blowing?

wesley123

I think it is quite clear there is still a piece missing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

:lol: but seriously whats that bit for?

wesley123

it is just the underside of the crashbox and a small piece on the end is still missing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

scarbs

Francesc wrote:Image
This is the same as the Mac gearbox.

Note a few interesting things:
The case has open sides, you can see that some airflow passes from the sides up into the centre. they have some cable passign through this gap.

The antiroll bar sits on top of the case, the pull rods are obviously low down and no dampers or stuff are on the sides of the case. Not visible here, but I know the torsion bars are vertical. I still cant work out how the pull rod rocker operates on the dampers\heave spring and ARB.

That missing rear section is probably the fairign that joins the lower crash structure to the diffusers central gurney.

marcush.

the window for the lower end of the pullrod seems to be a bit off the rod ...so if the torsion bar is mounted in the svivel point of the rocker and the rocker then has to be monted near horizontally the torsion bar could well be near vertical(/angled a bit towards the car centreline in y-direction) towards the front face of the gearbox ..still very hard to get things properly ligning up ...so maybe there is more kinematics involved ...

hardingfv32

When it is said that this is the same gearbox as McLaren, does that mean the same transmission mounted suspension components (rockers,etc.) and locations?

Brian