Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Muulka

Re: Williams FW33

CMSMJ1 wrote:They will look superb in the night time races..flames!
The problem is that the flames on F1 cars are so hot that they are a really pale blue- as anyone who's ever used a Bunsen burner knows, it's hard to see a bright blue flame.

I'll never forget seeing the fire from the exhausts of the Red Bull show car. I never saw it move, but I was lucky enough to be right in front of it when they fired it up. My sister thought that the starter was the engine lol.

But I'd doubt that you'd be able to see the flames, unless they put something in the pipes like copper or whaever gives orange flames lol.

boyracer94

They do look like experimental parts to find find the best positioning for performance to me.

Also you will be able to see flames in night races:

hardingfv32

[quote="imightbewrong"]Image

In this photo there seems to be a "large" camera mounted on the beam wing, with the lens aimed at the bottom of the rear wing. Also something on top of the crash box. Could they be squirting something towards or onto the bottom of the rear wing and recoding the results? Heat sensing camera?

Brian

aral

hardingfv32 wrote: In this photo there seems to be a "large" camera mounted on the beam wing, with the lens aimed at the bottom of the rear wing. Also something on top of the crash box. Could they be squirting something towards or onto the bottom of the rear wing and recoding the results? Heat sensing camera?

Brian
The exhausts appear to be angled as to blow to the top surface of the rear wing. So if this is the required exit point for exhausts, it looks as if we will be seeing 'blown rear wings' next year. I understood that the gasses were to be released to an area where they could not be used on the rear wing or diffuser.

hardingfv32

But what is the testing apparatus about?

Brian

aral

hardingfv32 wrote:But what is the testing apparatus about?

Brian
Probably a thermal imaging camera, seeing how much of the hot gas is coming below the wing . Keep an eye of the angle of the exhaust at further testing, it may be varied.

Owen.C93

That does look like a heat sensing camera, but it's about 20 times larger than the usual one used in F1. Looks kinda funny but it provides good resolution.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32

Can you image the air or do you view a surface?

My thought would be to spray fluid from the device above the crash box and record. Maybe slow the car when spraying if you wish to coat the wing. Or record while spraying to visualize the flow.

A lot of science/research behind designing the test. The better teams come up with better tests.

Brian

Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:Can you image the air or do you view a surface?

My thought would be to spray fluid from the device above the crash box and record. Maybe slow the car when spraying if you wish to coat the wing. Or record while spraying to visualize the flow.

A lot of science/research behind designing the test. The better teams come up with better tests.

Brian
With infrared you need a surface to reflect the infrared light so air wouldn't really work unless in a lab or something.

hardingfv32

They don't seem to concerned about the exhaust heating anything up, as there does not seem to be any heat reflection/protection coatings on the wing or strut.

Is this a correct observation?

Brian

PhillipM

Probably not at that sort of distance with the surrounding airflow cooling the stream

Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:They don't seem to concerned about the exhaust heating anything up, as there does not seem to be any heat reflection/protection coatings on the wing or strut.

Is this a correct observation?

Brian
It's not to see what is going to melt but more where the heat is distributed on the RW is where the exhaust plume is hitting it so you can measure what the exhaust is doing to the airflow on the RW.

aleks_ader

Hmm what actuall they measured with this extra tubes? And where those extra tubes goes?

My geuss is some sort of flow measurmend or?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aral

aleksandergreat wrote:Hmm what actuall they measured with this extra tubes? And where those extra tubes goes?

My geuss is some sort of flow measurmend or?
My guess is that these are just to ensure exhaust exits low down whilst in the garage, otherwise those who are standing close to the car would all have pretty red faces!