Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Dipl-Ing.

Re: Williams FW33

I think/hope that the FW34 will be big improvement, think Williams should be one of the teams to benefit most from the EBD ban. They couldn't do it with the Cosworth and now they're changing to Renault power should help there packaging.
I dont get why the small gearbox should weigh more, most weight comes from rotating mass and that should be almost identical. At least I thought I had read somewhere that it was the same as there 2010 box. And even if it is heavier, being flatter will give them a better CoG. And with the standard weight distubution shouldn't matter if its tail heavy just put the ballast up front where it normally goes.
Williams made two mistake in recent Seasons, the first was letting Rosberg go, the second was letting Hulkenberg go.
They need a talented young driver to build a car around.

aleks_ader

Dipl-Ing. wrote:I think/hope that the FW34 will be big improvement, think Williams should be one of the teams to benefit most from the EBD ban. They couldn't do it with the Cosworth and now they're changing to Renault power should help there packaging.
I dont get why the small gearbox should weigh more, most weight comes from rotating mass and that should be almost identical. At least I thought I had read somewhere that it was the same as there 2010 box. And even if it is heavier, being flatter will give them a better CoG. And with the standard weight distubution shouldn't matter if its tail heavy just put the ballast up front where it normally goes.
Williams made two mistake in recent Seasons, the first was letting Rosberg go, the second was letting Hulkenberg go.
They need a talented young driver to build a car around.
Exactly, i read some were that is this "LOW" gear box 20% heavier than previous one??
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dren

I read in racecar engineering the hydraulic system that came with the Cosworth engines was pretty bad. It didn't have enough pressure to lock the rear dif under high loads. They stated it was bad for traction and also bad in high speed corner stability due to a compromised set-up.
Honda!

axle

dren wrote:I read in racecar engineering the hydraulic system that came with the Cosworth engines was pretty bad. It didn't have enough pressure to lock the rear dif under high loads. They stated it was bad for traction and also bad in high speed corner stability due to a compromised set-up.
Which is why Williams ran their own in house hydraulics system.
- Axle

Coefficient

Read an interview with Mike Coughlan today and I believe he indirectly points the finger at the gearbox for causing headaches this year. Check this out and see if you read the same thing into it as I did.

“I don’t think it’s just aerodynamics. I think we made some decisions where, effectively, we gambled on something which would have cost us performance from a vehicle dynamics point of view, but which would have been outweighed by the aerodynamics gain. That obviously didn’t pay off – had it done so we would have looked much better this season.”

Full article:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2729 ... irst-test/
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

dren

axle wrote:
dren wrote:I read in racecar engineering the hydraulic system that came with the Cosworth engines was pretty bad. It didn't have enough pressure to lock the rear dif under high loads. They stated it was bad for traction and also bad in high speed corner stability due to a compromised set-up.
Which is why Williams ran their own in house hydraulics system.
Did not know that.
Honda!

dren

Coefficient wrote:Read an interview with Mike Coughlan today and I believe he indirectly points the finger at the gearbox for causing headaches this year. Check this out and see if you read the same thing into it as I did.

“I don’t think it’s just aerodynamics. I think we made some decisions where, effectively, we gambled on something which would have cost us performance from a vehicle dynamics point of view, but which would have been outweighed by the aerodynamics gain. That obviously didn’t pay off – had it done so we would have looked much better this season.”

Full article:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2729 ... irst-test/
Sounds like it based on that interview. I don't see what else he could be talking about. Maybe internal packaging? Scarbs said it was other issues that caused the poor performance a page or so back.
Honda!

ringo

not much space in there.
For Sure!!