2016 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim, 29-31 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2016 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim, 29-31 July

Manjhi wrote:I don't know the exact reason, but have seen the Bulls closing the gaps to Mercs after 8-10 laps from the start of the race.
I suspect that's more to do with the race settling down and the leaders managing rubber/fuel/engine than it is to do with real pace differentials. I think the key sign would be DRS detection. Looking back, if you see the Bulls closing enough to get DRS, then it's likely to be actual pace. If not, then it's just the leaders stretching their opening stint and avoiding wear on components.

flickerf1
flickerf1

Manjhi wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: Why would he struggle after 10 laps?
I don't know the exact reason, but have seen the Bulls closing the gaps to Mercs after 8-10 laps from the start of the race.
All they're doing is managing the race at that point. Unless the RB's get into the DRS zone it's not real pace. Look at Hungary for example. The top 4 was lapping pretty close, then all of a sudden Merc start lapping faster than anybody else. Make no mistake, Merc have tons of pace in hand.
The Wicked + The Divine.

domh245
domh245

Tobi Gruener now saying that the Radio Ban is going to be lifted, and that track limits are no longer going to be penalised, although it isn't clear if this starts for this weekend or not

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/758701987269578752

jericho

domh245 wrote:Tobi Gruener now saying that the Radio Ban is going to be lifted, and that track limits are no longer going to be penalised, although it isn't clear if this starts for this weekend or not

You mean this:

iotar__

domh245 wrote:Tobi Gruener now saying that the Radio Ban is going to be lifted, and that track limits are no longer going to be penalised, although it isn't clear if this starts for this weekend or not
Just when you thought F1 cannot make less sense :? :
- what about those sensors and zero tolerance, 0 or 1 is too complicated? The horror of applying penalties uniformly regardless of names didn't last long. Bad for business and against very ethos of F1's manipulated results
- so previous penalties would not be erased, how unlucky it would be if the rule that affected some drives but not the others (unfairly) decided championship, right?
Wynters wrote:
Manjhi wrote:I don't know the exact reason, but have seen the Bulls closing the gaps to Mercs after 8-10 laps from the start of the race.
I suspect that's more to do with the race settling down and the leaders managing rubber/fuel/engine than it is to do with real pace differentials. I think the key sign would be DRS detection. Looking back, if you see the Bulls closing enough to get DRS, then it's likely to be actual pace. If not, then it's just the leaders stretching their opening stint and avoiding wear on components.
I'm guessing it has got less to do with saving, not much to save or to manage (fuel? perhaps but the same for everyone, tyres likewise) or DRS (why would that matter? gap is better) but more with tyres: let's call them prime, options. The pattern this season with Merc: stronger on harder compound like Austria. Since they expect to lead it makes sense. Ferrari used to be closer during 1st stint too.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

That FIA document talks about the halo and relaxing of the radio ban, but where does the track limit story come from? It just seems odd.

justmoi
justmoi

No restrictions? Does this mean driver coaching is now allowed again? Cause that would be stupid. It's like going from one extreme to the other. There's a middle ground...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

There will still be restrictions on radio chat in the formation lap. Presumably to prevent perfect starts and so "spice up the show" in to the first corner.

Looks like Bernie is behind this because the fans actually want to hear radio during the race. Maybe the old goat is finally starting to understand...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

justmoi wrote:No restrictions? Does this mean driver coaching is now allowed again? Cause that would be stupid. It's like going from one extreme to the other. There's a middle ground...
The FIA is just like a computer, it only understands binary!
197 104 103 7

justmoi
justmoi

dans79 wrote:
justmoi wrote:No restrictions? Does this mean driver coaching is now allowed again? Cause that would be stupid. It's like going from one extreme to the other. There's a middle ground...
The FIA is just like a computer, it only understands binary!
Lol

If they have gone back to allowing telling drivers where to brake etc then that IS very stupid.

Wynters
Wynters

Just_a_fan wrote:Looks like Bernie is behind this because the fans actually want to hear radio during the race. Maybe the old goat is finally starting to understand...
Perhaps he could have instructed FOM to broadcast more? I'm pretty sure that FOM has access to most/all of the radio communications. Reading the race transcripts from previous years there was plenty of content that was still valid under the ban so would still have been there this year. FOM just chose not to broadcast anything that didn't have someone swearing in it.

flickerf1
flickerf1

Wynters wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Looks like Bernie is behind this because the fans actually want to hear radio during the race. Maybe the old goat is finally starting to understand...
Perhaps he could have instructed FOM to broadcast more? I'm pretty sure that FOM has access to most/all of the radio communications. Reading the race transcripts from previous years there was plenty of content that was still valid under the ban so would still have been there this year. FOM just chose not to broadcast anything that didn't have someone swearing in it.

Radio ban to be lifted during races: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/07/28/r ... ted-races/
This approach is aimed at providing improved content for fans and spectators, as teams will now be required to provide the Commercial Rights Holder with unrestricted access to their radio messages at all times that their cars are out of the garages.
I'm guessing from this statement that teams could choose to 'privatize' certain messages and as such we didn't hear certain messages.
The Wicked + The Divine.

pob

They had a button they could press for private messages, but it was only usable in the garage.
Last edited by pob on 29 Jul 2016, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

This smells of bernie's doing to spice up the show. Almost like a plot to give Rosberg a better chance of taking the fight to the last race now that Hamilton has overhauled him mid-season. It is the only way to equalize things in the mercedes garage without sabotaging the engines...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

So the Qualifying rule change, the Radio communications rule being rescinded and from what I'm hearing potentially no longer penalizing for exceeding track limits.... that's an impressive record so far.... and we're only at mid season.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत