2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

Drive of the day for me is Alonso. 7th from the back in that tug boat is great stuff. Sure, the incidents helped him massively but he held on at the end when being chased by faster cars.

Vettel messed up his and Kimi's races. Max tried his best to get penalties for dodgy driving. Solid drive from the Mercedes drivers. Rosberg had it easy once the first turn incident took out Max and the Ferraris. Hamilton lucked in massively with the red flag. Both just then did what you would expect of them.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 28 Aug 2016, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A duplicate2

piast9 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Mercedes screwed Lewis once again. Instead of bolting a new Supersoft, they gave him Mediums and protected Nico.
All weekend we were told that SS got chewed in 3 laps.
Really? Isn't that's what they told in Austria too? And Lewis did such a LOOOOOONG first stint. Here, it was last stint with just 15 or 20 kilos of fuel.

matt_b

Unchallenged quiet afternoon for Nico which is what everyone expected. Miracle result for Lewis thanks to the chaos and red flag, stopped Nico's grand chelem with fastest lap also. Great recovery drive from Vettel, what could've been though.

basti313

GPR-A wrote:Mercedes screwed Lewis once again. Instead of bolting a new Supersoft, they gave him Mediums and protected Nico.
No idea, why you hate Nico so much, but once you name him in a post, the post goes BS all over. On the other hand your posts without him are always quite good...
So much hate in sports is not what you should go for...
Don`t russel the hamster!

GPR-A duplicate2

wesley123 wrote:
How exactly did they screw Lewis? Rosberg was never even within reach, not even remotely
Well, he was just 2 seconds behind Ricciardo when he pitted and Ricciardo was a further 7 seconds behind Nico. So, it was 31 Seconds to close down with 11 laps. On last stint, with 15-20 kg fuel, Lewis could have easily be faster by atleast 3-4 seconds on SuperSoft. Lewis himself told his engineer that it wasn't a good idea to bolt Mediums.

diego.liv

GPR-A wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
How exactly did they screw Lewis? Rosberg was never even within reach, not even remotely
Well, he was just 2 seconds behind Ricciardo when he pitted and Ricciardo was a further 7 seconds behind Nico. So, it was 31 Seconds to close down with 11 laps. On last stint, with 15-20 kg fuel, Lewis could have easily be faster by atleast 3-4 seconds on SuperSoft.
Submit your CV to Brackley, do us a favour
On a side note, i know i'm helping you here with your argument, but still: if the pit time is around 22 seconds, people need to stop adding that time when comparing delta to other drivers, they still have to drive on the main straight..so the penalty to take a pit stop is shorter, usually around 17 seconds. Ham would have been some 26 seconds behind Nico on softs/supersofts
Last edited by diego.liv on 28 Aug 2016, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Sounds like a lot of Hamilton fans in the crowd! Not so many Rosberg fans. Not so keen on the negative reaction to the podium.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ismail1991

Medium tires were the tires to be on. Nico showed that nico on mediums were faster than Lewis on softs. Lewis couldn't catch Ricci on softs. Supersofts would have been gone in 3 laps. Then I guess Lewis would have a race with Hulkenberg not Ricciardo
Last edited by ismail1991 on 28 Aug 2016, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum

I don't think any of the tyres functioned well today, and that's why they were conservative at the end. Pure damage limitation, and 3rd probably beat most forecasts.

@GPR-A - No-one elected to run Supersofts after the initial stint, which speaks volumes to me. Putting those tyres on at the end was more likely to expose Hamilton to Hulkenburg and Perez than anything else.

Juzh

GPR-A wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Well, he was just 2 seconds behind Ricciardo when he pitted and Ricciardo was a further 7 seconds behind Nico. So, it was 31 Seconds to close down with 11 laps. On last stint, with 15-20 kg fuel, Lewis could have easily be faster by atleast 3-4 seconds on SuperSoft. Lewis himself told his engineer that it wasn't a good idea to bolt Mediums.
lol

atanatizante

Could someone tell - in detail - how could Lewis managed to change 3 PU`s and the reason behind those strategic changes?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

GPR-A duplicate2

Juzh wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
wesley123 wrote: How exactly did they screw Lewis? Rosberg was never even within reach, not even remotely
lol
I am happy to have made you laugh, which otherwise, your favorite driver's situation today would have completely turned you off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

f1316

Verstappen's never going to learn if he never even gets any kind of penalty. The first corner lunge was madness and whilst I appreciate cars not just diving out the way, his defence is dangerous, moving under braking and weaving.

In saying all that, I don't get why Vettel feels the need to squeeze his own teammate so tight on a day when they had a good chance of double podium. Verstappen's was the worse crime but if you take him out of the picture then the two Ferraris still come together; doesn't make sense to take such a risk so early in the race regardless of who you're racing but even more so against your teammate.

Nico had the pace anyway but think the Ferraris would have pushed him harder than Ric. Hopefully the engine upgrade next week is as good as rumoured and they can challenge at Monza.

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:Drive of the day for me is Alonso. 7th from the back in that tug boat is great stuff. Sure, the incidents helped him massively but he held on at the end when being chased by faster cars.

Vettel messed up his and Kimi's races. Max tried his best to get penalties for dodgy driving. Solid drive from the Mercedes drivers. Rosberg had it easy once the first turn incident took out Max and the Ferraris. Hamilton lucked in massively with the red flag. Both just then did what you would expect of them.
You said it all.

Scuderia1967

Rejoice people, Pastor Maldonado is back! It's a bit strange to see him in a Red Bull, however