2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Silent Storm

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

Nathanael F1 wrote:Who was VES referring to in that quote from FP2?
He said that in fp2 because he thought Kimi was blocking him.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Schuttelberg

carisi2k wrote:Since Seb hit Kimi first. I would suggest that the incident was Sebs fault. I feel that Seb would have hit Kimi even if Max wasn't down the inside. Max should maybe have shown some caution and stayed out of the way instead of going for a small gap. Some people may say this is similar to Kyvats move in China but I would call BS on that. Kyvat had a gap that you could park a tank in. Max did not.
Disagree, strongly. I think Max's move was fine, as was Vettel's. It's the first lap, people are racing, accidents will happen. Kimi was absolutely helpless, like Seb was at China. It's racing, it happens.

What's beyond tolerable is Max's attitude in and post race. Seems to me like he has a lot of growing up to do.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

iotar__

Had an hour watched an hour. I'm glad to see that F1 is still a sham and a farce. How on earth didn't Verstappen get a drive-through for this double move at high speed #-o ? Only Charlie Whiting and the paddlers of fiction he obliges know. That was as dangerous and illegal as it gets. Of course he created it himself by making a mistake at Eau Rouge. First one when he pushed Raikkonen off was nice too.

Speaking of paddlers of fiction, it's funny to see how reporting is trying again to spin it into 'aggressiveness' instead of describing it for what it was, no skills amateurish driving. On top of that he blamed Raikkonen after stupid dive at the start which shows that he doesn't know how corners work. Verstappen is basic as hell, panics under pressure and learns nothing. Good, even cheating from fellow kids Charlie and Bernie can't carry him forever. RB would have to take care of Ricciardo's one lap speed.

djos

iotar__ wrote:Had an hour watched an hour. I'm glad to see that F1 is still a sham and a farce. How on earth didn't Verstappen get a drive-through for this double move at high speed #-o ? Only Charlie Whiting and the paddlers of fiction he obliges know. That was as dangerous and illegal as it gets. Of course he created it himself by making a mistake at Eau Rouge. First one when he pushed Raikkonen off was nice too.

Speaking of paddlers of fiction, it's funny to see how reporting is trying again to spin it into 'aggressiveness' instead of describing it for what it was, no skills amateurish driving. On top of that he blamed Raikkonen after stupid dive at the start which shows that he doesn't know how corners work. Verstappen is basic as hell, panics under pressure and learns nothing. Good, even cheating from fellow kids Charlie and Bernie can't carry him forever. RB would have to take care of Ricciardo's one lap speed.
Oh io, how we missed your tin foil hatttery. :mrgreen:

Oh crap, I actually agree with most (not all) of your points, doh, I must be suffering cognitive dissonance or something. #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Samraj_official

djos wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Had an hour watched an hour. I'm glad to see that F1 is still a sham and a farce. How on earth didn't Verstappen get a drive-through for this double move at high speed #-o ? Only Charlie Whiting and the paddlers of fiction he obliges know. That was as dangerous and illegal as it gets. Of course he created it himself by making a mistake at Eau Rouge. First one when he pushed Raikkonen off was nice too.

Oh io, how we missed your tin foil hatttery. :mrgreen:

Oh crap, I actually agree with most (not all) of your points, doh, I must be suffering cognitive dissonance or something. #-o
on the other hand, Verstappens D̶a̶n̶g̶e̶r̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶D̶r̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ "Agressiveness" can be good for the Grand Bernie Circus.........*Seat Belts on*

lebesset

I wish someone would explain to me how the drivers steward is selected
as far as I understand it the one at spa was someone living in california and nearly 70 years old ; why is this ? F1 has money to burn ...why not someone of more recent experience and from nearer at hand ? in case anyone hadn't noticed the stewards decisions in recent times have been open to question to say the least , and don't tell me that the professional steward doesn't have a big influence on the other stewards who are basically there for a jolly

having seen the video of corner 1 on this thread I am not surprised that ves was apoplectic , there was sufficient space for his move up the inside and he would have got his nose to the apex before kimi had vet not cut kimi off and caused the collision ....had vet not done that kimi is good enough to have opened the wheel and avoided a collision

but ves then had the red mist a la rosberg and blocked kimi which was nearly a horrendous accident ..not acceptable !

so I believe we need a new rule with a penalty for carrying out a dangerous manoeuvre and also stewards with more recent experience of F1 , maybe selected by a majority vote of the drivers association rather than the old boys club as appears to be the case at present
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

turbof1

lebesset wrote: so I believe we need a new rule with a penalty for carrying out a dangerous manoeuvre and also stewards with more recent experience of F1 , maybe selected by a majority vote of the drivers association rather than the old boys club as appears to be the case at present
It would be very nice if we had such a rule, wouldn't it? Like some sort of catch-all rule that gives stewards enough authority to bring such actions into contention.

Oh wait, we have that already:
27.8 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
It's just madness they have not use 27.8 against Verstappen. Under that article the stewards could have punished him for the crowding Perez and Raikkonen, as well as the "abnormal change of direction" on the straight right in front of Raikkonen.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

Look what I found. :D

Back in 2014, Max Verstappen was still in F3. This race was also at Spa. He was leading the race with Auer closing in on him in the latter stages (final lap). Skip to 48:09 minute mark. Watch and say deja vu. Only difference is that F3 cars don't go as fast as F1. He just did almost the same move on Kimi.

lebesset

turbof1 wrote:
lebesset wrote: so I believe we need a new rule with a penalty for carrying out a dangerous manoeuvre and also stewards with more recent experience of F1 , maybe selected by a majority vote of the drivers association rather than the old boys club as appears to be the case at present
It would be very nice if we had such a rule, wouldn't it? Like some sort of catch-all rule that gives stewards enough authority to bring such actions into contention.

Oh wait, we have that already:
27.8 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
It's just madness they have not use 27.8 against Verstappen. Under that article the stewards could have punished him for the crowding Perez and Raikkonen, as well as the "abnormal change of direction" on the straight right in front of Raikkonen.
aha , perhaps max would say I didn't crowd kimi off the track and my change of direction was not abnormal , I was just changing to my normal line ; but perhaps the addition of something like ....or any deliberate action liable to endanger another driver ....would fit the bill ; or some allusion to blocking a driver in the process of overtaking
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

knabbel

As a Verstappen fan I thought that the stewards were sleeping all race. There were 4 incidents where I would have expected at least an "Under investigation":

The T1 incident.
Sainz who was also driving dangerous with the flat tire
The Wherlein/Buttun incident
And of course the aggressive defensive move of Verstappen on Raikonen.

dans79

WaikeCU wrote:Look what I found. :D

Back in 2014, Max Verstappen was still in F3. This race was also at Spa. He was leading the race with Auer closing in on him in the latter stages (final lap). Skip to 48:09 minute mark. Watch and say deja vu. Only difference is that F3 cars don't go as fast as F1. He just did almost the same move on Kimi.
You have to wonder how this child hasn't seriously injured himself or someone else yet!
197 104 103 7

TwanV

dans79 wrote:

You have to wonder how this child hasn't seriously injured himself or someone else yet!
Well sorry this is starting to get annoying. Open a bash VES-thread or something guys, because this is something very different and every driver would do that in the last lap of a race. without drs there is just slipstream, not a big difference in speed. You would do the same I'm sure.

If we would have to make a compilation about all the stupidity drivers do throughout their careers, there would be plenty hours to fill, including many of VET, RAI(hmpf), ALO and so on. Just accept that the only really bad move was on the straight (les combes is much more ambivalent IMO), that you don't like the guy and get over it. *sigh*

Fifty

I don't like the guy. I did right up
Until his interviews after the race.
But I still believe that all 4 wheels off the track going into turn one, and Max's expectation that the rules serve him and not kimi in that turn, but reverse in Max's blacking events later.
So no...the only bad move wasn't on the straights.

sosic2121

dans79 wrote:

So he's been an idiot 2 years ago.
So how many race opportunities for Ferrari have been destroyed by RB idiots this year?
China, Russia, Hungary, Spa?

TwanV

I'm more with Gary Andersson's point of view, VET turning in on RAI didn't help, but he's getting no blame for that. Nevertheless, not a wise move by VES. But the same thing can be said about overtaking on the outside of Les Combes if you don't nail Eau Rouge. And did VES say those words to the international press as well? It was more sarcasm in dutch.