2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Photo below from James Allen, who reckons cars will be three seconds a lap faster this year. His estimation is based partly on the GP2 and GP3 free practice times from earlier today. Full article.

Chuckjr

GPR-A wrote:Worst picture you can imagine of a track. At first, I thought it might be a digital image, but no. Looks like a virgin track and wouldn't be as hard on tires as it was before. Very disappointing for that one factor. I just hope it grips less and offers a spectacle of sliding cars.

http://i0.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/w ... =750%2C497
http://www.f1zone.net/news/vettel-prais ... ace/52004/

Have hope. Looks like it's a good thing.

"“I walked the track earlier today and from what I see the track surface looks really good. It’s important these tracks are resurfaced regularly in order to offer us the best possible performance when we are racing and to also ensure the circuit is safe. I believe the new surface is a lot smoother and less aggressive which will help improve tyre wear and better conditions for racing in the wet."
Watching F1 since 1986.

RedNEO

Longest fire in f1 history!

Now put a halo on it and poor Kevin would have been in serious trouble trying to get out. He even had to run across the bonnet of the car to show the violence of that escape and with a halo it would have been a huge disaster. Scrap that ugly monstrosity from existence F1!

RedNEO

Nice lap ALO. 1.2 seconds off Merc on S

dans79

Nico took a nice walk through the gravel!
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

Nice FP1 session, an uncontrolled fire, Alon5oth right on the heels of the Ferrari and in front of Red Bull. If both McHondas start finishing races in the points that's a good chance they can overtake Williams. Mercedes untouchable as usual, seems the difference between the soft and medium is .5 around this track, maybe another .3 or .4 to the Hard tire. Will be interesting to see what kind of degradation there is. I have a feeling it's going to be crazy weather for the race, I can sense it, with instruments.
Saishū kōnā

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:Nice FP1 session, an uncontrolled fire, Alon5oth right on the heels of the Ferrari and in front of Red Bull. If both McHondas start finishing races in the points that's a good chance they can overtake Williams. Mercedes untouchable as usual, seems the difference between the soft and medium is .5 around this track, maybe another .3 or .4 to the Hard tire. Will be interesting to see what kind of degradation there is. I have a feeling it's going to be crazy weather for the race, I can sense it, with instruments.
I really enjoyed this session, seeing ALO so high was a nice touch. That fire was probably more entertaining than some races this year :lol:

ChrisDanger

Video of the incident pictured below: https://streamable.com/yqsq

lio007

godlameroso wrote:Nice FP1 session, an uncontrolled fire, Alon5oth right on the heels of the Ferrari and in front of Red Bull. If both McHondas start finishing races in the points that's a good chance they can overtake Williams. Mercedes untouchable as usual, seems the difference between the soft and medium is .5 around this track, maybe another .3 or .4 to the Hard tire. Will be interesting to see what kind of degradation there is. I have a feeling it's going to be crazy weather for the race, I can sense it, with instruments.
But you have to admit that RIC for example did his fastest lap on the hard compound while ALO's Lap was on soft.

RedNEO

lio007 wrote:
But you have to admit that RIC for example did his fastest lap on the hard compound while ALO's Lap was on soft.
You could say the same thing about the Ferrari's who were also on softs. I don't think redbull is that much quicker than Ferrari but they do seem to be slightly ahead at this stage. Still a great lap by Alonso to get that close to Ferrari. That gap will widen once the others turn up there engines though but still looking promising.

iotar__

- 0,7 s to Ferrari = not exactly close, there goes brilliant prediction. Must be car designing thing, you know Merc designed for tracks like that whereas their competition the opposite: one odd street circuit ;-) which they weirdly dominated too.

- Mercedes practising Rosberg's bad pitstop (I thought they were doing fine with those) or 'let's help Hamilton by C.W.' penalties. Probably checking if iphone measures correct amount of extra delay too, like in Germany.

RedNEO

iotar__ wrote:- 0,7 s to Ferrari = not exactly close, there goes brilliant prediction. Must be car designing thing, you know Merc designed for tracks like that whereas their competition the opposite: one odd street circuit ;-) which they weirdly dominated too.

- Mercedes practising Rosberg's bad pitstop (I thought they were doing fine with those) or 'let's help Hamilton by C.W.' penalties. Probably checking if iphone measures correct amount of extra delay too, like in Germany.
Who predicted anything?