2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

Diesel wrote:I don't agree Massa should have yielded, it was a good bit of racing, I honestly don't understand why everyone is crying for a penalty. Don't we want to see this kind of on-track action?
The question is not why this, the question is why not this but others. Rosberg and Vettel got penalized for divebombing and not being able to turn in even without contact. Magnussen was penalized for going off at his DRS attack unless he rejoined miles away from Kvyat...Alonso rejoined right at the front wing of Sainz.
I do not like this type of overtaking, but if FIA thinks it is ok, then they need to officially allow divebombing and pushing off. At the moment it is not allowed, but they fail to judge it similar in a single race.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Godius

First of all, it think that Verstappen is a very talented driver. But he has to learn that there is no point to continuously push and hurt his tires when he is behind an other driver who can match the pace of the driver behind him or defend strategically. It is pointless.

Whe have seen it multiple times now; Australia (Sainz vs Verstappen), Singapore (Kvyat vs Verstappen), Malaysia (Ricciardo vs Verstappen) and now in USA (Rosberg vs Vesrtappen).

ClarkBT11

basti313 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Massa should have yielded the position. Alonso already got inside and significantly alongside.
Yield the position like on a zebra crossing? Stop, wave him by and once Alonso has crossed the track to the runoffs get going again?
Yes, that would have been a smart solution.
Your right Alonso needed all the track to complete his move. There's nothing Masa could of done to avoid contact.... What's Masa doing taking the racing line... How dare he.

ME4ME

Godius wrote:First of all, it think that Verstappen is a very talented driver. But he has to learn that there is no point to continuously push and hurt his tires when he is behind an other driver who can match the pace of the driver behind him or defend strategically. It is pointless.

Whe have seen it multiple times now; Australia (Sainz vs Verstappen), Singapore (Kvyat vs Verstappen), Malaysia (Ricciardo vs Verstappen) and now in USA (Rosberg vs Vesrtappen).
What you are saying makes sense, but it reduces a racing driver to merely a driver, or a manager as Martin Brundle likes to call it. It's all what's wrong with current Formula 1. Hopefully next years Pirelli tyres are more suited for actual racing. One can hope.

Godius

ME4ME wrote:
Godius wrote:First of all, it think that Verstappen is a very talented driver. But he has to learn that there is no point to continuously push and hurt his tires when he is behind an other driver who can match the pace of the driver behind him or defend strategically. It is pointless.

What you are saying makes sense, but it reduces a racing driver to merely a driver, or a manager as Martin Brundle likes to call it. It's all what's wrong with current Formula 1. Hopefully next years Pirelli tyres are more suited for actual racing. One can hope.
I agree with you. It is primarily due to the rapid degradation of the tires but Verstappen should have known about this and he probably does. Because in other races he does a perfect job in managing his tire wear. So the only reason that he keeps making these 'errors' is I think his inexperience. Maybe these things are a side effect of him being separated from his dad from Barcelona onwards.

But that is a good thing because now he can develop himself as driver from learning from his own mistakes.

basti313

Godius wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

I agree with you. It is primarily due to the rapid degradation of the tires but Verstappen should have known about this and he probably does. Because in other races he does a perfect job in managing his tire wear. So the only reason that he keeps making these 'errors' is I think his inexperience. Maybe these things are a side effect of him being separated from his dad from Barcelona onwards.

But that is a good thing because now he can develop himself as driver from learning from his own mistakes.
He was separated from his dad? How that?

I think the many faults clearly show, that he was promoted too fast. He went too fast to F1 and he went too fast to a top team. At least there is no discussion about the championship, but for example Lewis killed his first WDC with equally stupid faults.

By the way: I would have voted him the driver of the day. Pitting on his own and then driving half a lap just to put the car into the outside gravel, one corner away from the pitlane to cause a harmful safety car, is the most stupid thing I can remember in the history of F1. At least something to remember from this race.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Andres125sx

basti313 wrote:
Diesel wrote:I don't agree Massa should have yielded, it was a good bit of racing, I honestly don't understand why everyone is crying for a penalty. Don't we want to see this kind of on-track action?
The question is not why this, the question is why not this but others. Rosberg and Vettel got penalized for divebombing and not being able to turn in even without contact. Magnussen was penalized for going off at his DRS attack unless he rejoined miles away from Kvyat...Alonso rejoined right at the front wing of Sainz.
I do not like this type of overtaking, but if FIA thinks it is ok, then they need to officially allow divebombing and pushing off. At the moment it is not allowed, but they fail to judge it similar in a single race.
Disagree, IMO there´s an obvious difference wich is if the driver in front have a chance to avoid contact or not. Massa could have avoid it. It is as easy as what most drivers do, let him pass and go off-track, and then recover position as you´re in the racing line with good traction and heading, while the car wich is off-track with poor traction and need to turn before hitting the throttle

Massa didn´t see Alonso and turned in trying to take the inner kerb, causing the colision himself. Yes it was Alonso who did divebomb, but at that point Alonso had no option while Massa had. We´ve seen tons of attempts to overtake where the driver at the inside was at the inside because he did brake too late (like Alonso) but normally the driver at the ouside simply let him pass and go off-track. Massa didn´t and turned in like if he was alone in the track, but he wasn´t and collided with Fernando

Andres125sx

ClarkBT11 wrote:
basti313 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Massa should have yielded the position. Alonso already got inside and significantly alongside.
Yield the position like on a zebra crossing? Stop, wave him by and once Alonso has crossed the track to the runoffs get going again?
Your right Alonso needed all the track to complete his move. There's nothing Masa could of done to avoid contact.... What's Masa doing taking the racing line... How dare he.
Yes, trying to take the racing line when there´s another car in the racing line is quite dare, agree :roll: :mrgreen:

ClarkBT11

Andres125sx wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
basti313 wrote: Yield the position like on a zebra crossing? Stop, wave him by and once Alonso has crossed the track to the runoffs get going again?
Yes, trying to take the racing line when there´s another car in the racing line is quite dare, agree :roll: :mrgreen:
Like you said Alonso dive bombed. I wouldn't call that a racing line. :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

ClarkBT11 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
Like you said Alonso dive bombed. I wouldn't call that a racing line. :mrgreen:
He was when they collided. Massa could have waited until Alonso lose it, but he didn´t and collided with Alonso when trying to take the occupied racing line :wink:

BanMeToo

LMAO. "Alonso was on the racing line" ? What??? You need to re-watch qualifying, dude. Study that complex a little bit more. Massa was on the racing line, not Alonso. Alonso was on line to careen off the track, which he did.

Look I don't necessarily think Alonso should have got a penalty but these arguments are coming from outer space. :shock: :?

strad

I think a much of the abhorrent behavior we see these days is a result of so many of the young drivers coming up from karts where they let them get away with more banging than British Touring Car, then from what I have seen of F2 they continue to get away with all kinds of bad driving so they bring that mindset with them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Edax

ME4ME wrote:)

Agree. Perhaps they should take example of the WTCC. They don't care about the tires. They just drive them to shreds. And if the tires don't last, bad luck. We have seen races in the past (Eg monza, hungary) where half the field ended up in the wall with blown tires. And in these cases the drivers were not blamed for their management skills, but the tire manufacurer for its tire manufacturing skills. And they changed the tires.

Perhaps we need more drivers like Ves. At least he shows how bad the current setup is. 5 laps just being behind an opponent and you see the tire falling apart. Same with Massa. I think they do the sport a favor by making this visible.

Perhaps bad "management" but I am not here to watch managers, I can do that at my job all day long. I' m here to see racing.

i70q7m7ghw

I don't like the word "dive bomb" been thrown around. That was by no means a dive bomb.