2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

It may rain during qualifying, and the race may start on a damp track, might stop raining half way through the race, though not sure if a dry line can form. It's going to be one of those races, the whole weekend bar Friday is likely to see some rain, either just before or during quali or race time.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

That sounds pretty perfect; worst thing is rain on Friday as no one runs, but a dry Friday followed by some rain in both quali and race - but with the track drying and some strategy calls needed - would be great. We still haven't actually seen proper wet running with these 2017 cars.

Let's hope you're right!

Juzh

Lets just hope for a wet race and dry qualli, i want to see some fast laptimes

Andres125sx

I do prefer a wet quali, if possible with wet track at the beginning, wich slowly dries up, to then get some more rain at the end of each Q so someone gets surprised can´t get a good time and is forced to start the race out of position.

Then on the race day some more rain will make it possible for these to recover so we can see an exciting race :mrgreen:

I can dream, can´t I? :p

garyjpaterson

The break has felt much shorter for me this year, I guess its just me personally being much busier and having less time to think about it.

Am looking forward to it starting up again, some weather could really bring a few more teams into play.

Stormy

Maybe Spa won't be that bad for Ferrari after all. According to some sources they have successfully tested a new diffuser and floor.

FrukostScones

Stormy wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 13:16
Maybe Spa won't be that bad for Ferrari after all. According to some sources they have successfully tested a new diffuser and floor.

low/er) temps and overinflated Pirellis won't help though
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TAG

In Hungary is was Ferrari/Vettel that was in a must win situation. I feel here in Spa it's now Mercedes/Hamilton that's in that same situation. I know a lot of where Hamilton is right now is not of his doing, Baku most of all. But there was no excuse for him to come in behind Bottas in Q in Hungary and Austria. He's given away points and Mercedes has given away points you can survive one but not both.

Can't have that the second half of the season. With the exception of Singapore though there should be no other circuits where Mercedes are on the back foot. They should be even or better suited than Ferrari on every circuit.

There's still 225 points left, a gap of points where it is now is meaningless, but they have to make sure the free kick points are over and done with.

Ferrari is going to be a read threat for the entire season, getting a whiff of something that's eluded them for a long long time now, they will not ease off.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Chuckjr

I just don't think Ferrari will be able to compete with Merc's, quali mode and will be consistently starting 2nd or more likely 3rd or lower he rest of the season. It's tough to overcome. They will have to find time in quali or consistently not getting pole will likely be the difference in winning the WDC & WCC. Securing pole is a winning formulae and served Ferrari well during its heyday of 2000-2005.

Just my 2 cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

f1316

Chuckjr wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 19:12
I just don't think Ferrari will be able to compete with Merc's, quali mode and will be consistently starting 2nd or more likely 3rd or lower he rest of the season. It's tough to overcome. They will have to find time in quali or consistently not getting pole will likely be the difference in winning the WDC & WCC. Securing pole is a winning formulae and served Ferrari well during its heyday of 2000-2005.

Just my 2 cents.
Actually, from 2003-2008 onwards, Ferrari didn't get as many poles as their ultimate pace deserved, as teams would qualify with race fuel and do a short first stint to gain grid position. Schumacher won a lot of GPs from outside Pole and it's part of the reason why he has 91 wins but only 68 poles (and why that record is in reach).

Different situation now, of course, but not true that Ferrari prioritised Pole in their heyday, as Schumacher usually gained position by running long and going faster on low fuel.

TAG

f1316 wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 10:22
Schumacher won a lot of GPs from outside Pole and it's part of the reason why he has 91 wins but only 68 poles (and why that record is in reach).
And having his teammate give up the win for him, It's been the Ferrari way.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

JonoNic

I would love to have those RBR transporting wheels for my cross kart.
Always find the gap then use it.

ChrisDanger

Part 1: Max Verstappen (Red Bull), Stoffel Vandoorne (McLaren), Esteban Ocon (Force India)

Part 2: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) , Felipe Massa (Williams)

Steven
Owner

I'll be at Spa tomorrow for the free practice sessions.

Here's the hourly forecast for Spa btw, for the next 5 days:
https://www.buienradar.be/weer/spa/be/2786318/5daagse