2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

So much easier to just look at what drivers do behind the wheel. everything is is just an opinion, an often very biased opinion. Let's get back to racing talk at COTA. Unlike most GPs I get to have a beer and a burger while watching this one, instead of coffee and buttered toast.

Friday practice session look to be a wash, with a potential dry Saturday, but perhaps changeable conditions. Sunday will start out with full wets, with inters for the first stint ending on slicks for the second stint. That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it. We may yet get our race of the year.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

It will be interesting to see whether changeable conditions bring a new COTA winner. ISTR that only Vettel (1) and Hamilton (4) have won here in F1 so far.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

If there are changeable conditions, surely it will be between Max and Lewis. So i think only Max can be a new winner.

If its dry then Lewis or Seb or maybe Max or Ricciardo can win.

So a new winner would be

Max 40%
Ric 25%
Bot 20%
Kimi 10%
Rest 5%

Max being higher due to chances of wet race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 17:56
It will be interesting to see whether changeable conditions bring a new COTA winner. ISTR that only Vettel (1) and Hamilton (4) have won here in F1 so far.
Based on the performance of the cars, only the top three teams are capable of winning a GP, regardless of what the conditions are. Of the top 3 teams, only 5 drivers are capable of winning races and of them, only 3 have a great feel for wet and changeable conditions. So, if it is indeed going to be wet/changeable, the best bets are Hamilton, Verstappen and Vettel. If anything, the wet weather diminishes the possibilities of engine issues by helping the components to remain cooler.

RPieter

US tire strat:
Lewis Hamilton 1 3 9
Valtteri Bottas 2 2 9
Daniel Ricciardo 3 4 6
Max Verstappen 3 4 6
Sebastian Vettel 1 5 7
Kimi Raikkonen 2 4 7

Soft // SuperSoft // UltraSoft

Why MERC so aggresive on UltraSoft? I thought their car generally don't like them?

TAG

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 17:56
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GrandAxe

The gradient to turn one must be the steepest incline of all F1 circuits. The start wouldn't be easy for teams that are down on engine grunt, that short climb would put a strain on the most powerful engines too.

Zynerji

With the win Talley, is safe to say COTA is Lewis' living room.

George-Jung

Zynerji wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 02:46
No.

Then you should call it a Mercedes living room.

GPR-A duplicate2

George-Jung wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 05:48
Zynerji wrote:
No.

Lewis managed to win in COTA with two different teams and in two different era of cars (pre-2014/2014 and beyond). Two of his team mates in those two different teams (both champions), having same equipment, did not manage to win it even once. So, it would be safe to say, it is a track where Lewis performs very well. If he wins this year, then he would have won in three different configurations of cars, matching so many other circuits where he has achieved it.

Restomaniac

GPR-A wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 06:41
George-Jung wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
No.

Lewis managed to win in COTA with two different teams and in two different era of cars (pre-2014/2014 and beyond). Two of his team mates in those two different teams (both champions), having same equipment, did not manage to win it even once. So, it would be safe to say, it is a track where Lewis performs very well. If he wins this year, then he would have won in three different configurations of cars, matching so many other circuits where he has achieved it.
Indeed. Hamilton in a McLaren that was nowhere in the sister car was clearly the fastest in the race in Hamilton's hands. This when up against the current and soon to be again WDC and a car that was already nailed on as WCC again.

He also put his new car 4th in 2013 when his team mate who had been there far longer could only manage 9th. In qualifying he had dragged it into 5th when Rosberg could only manage 12th.

Sometimes a driver is just totally in tune with a track.

drunkf1fan

GPR-A wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
No.

I always think back to 2012 Fp1. I remember crofty and someone else, forget who talking about how much everyone went off in that 2nd last corner as it was fast but people weren't getting it right. Everyone was going off, everyone was losing a lot of time, the times were slowly improving over time.

Hamilton came out and absolutely destroyed his first timed lap, got that corner perfect and jumped a second or two clear. I think Alonso did similarly but was slower by a margin and I think more cautious in that corner.

It just always stood out, first fast laps at a completely new track and how Hamilton and Alonso made a corner the commentators were rightly pointing out that everyone else was screwing up lap after lap, just showed for me the different level those two were above everyone else in ability to read conditions and a brand new corner, but also how Hamilton was able to be that fast on his very first lap. This has been a Hamilton track from day one, only slightly tempered by Rosberg outqualifying him a couple of times but for me that is largely down to Rosberg being one to set up for qualifying, he beat Rosberg in both races he started behind and relatively comfortably, with the fairly usual gain, pass cleanly then just control the race against a Rosberg he did so often in the past 3 years.

PlatinumZealot

zioture wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 19:57
Video preview #USAGP Ferrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOVPmAuioM
That music gets me pumped! 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Edax

GPR-A wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
No.

I think that should not be a surprise. The track lends a lot of design elements from other classical tracks. Actually it is more or less a cut and paste job. That may sound disrespectful but I like the result.

Incidentally most of them are taken from tracks where Ham excells and which he likes. So i think it would be pretty close to what Ham would draw himself when asked to draw a track.