European GP 2011 - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Fil

Re: European GP 2011 - Valencia

djos wrote:
Mandrake wrote: I don't remember it exactly, but wasn't Webber having a surgery or went to promote his book? It wasn't Vettel wanting to do all the running with the new tires.
No he hasnt needed surgery for well over 12 months, that was just a rumour someone started. The book was launched in Australia and Webber was in the UK relaxing.
Actually Mark was in Melbourne for his book launch in December. But the Abu Dhabi test in late November anyway.
And whilst his fractured shoulder couldn't be operated on, he was getting pre-race injections to cope with it.

Surely pre-season testing on new tyres would have helped any driver get up to speed on them, and it can be argued that Seb testing & Mark not proves this, one look at Heidfeld's season counters this very much!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

djos

Fil wrote: Actually Mark was in Melbourne for his book launch in December. But the Abu Dhabi test in late November anyway.
And whilst his fractured shoulder couldn't be operated on, he was getting pre-race injections to cope with it.

Surely pre-season testing on new tyres would have helped any driver get up to speed on them, and it can be argued that Seb testing & Mark not proves this, one look at Heidfeld's season counters this very much!
Ah yes but as you say the timing could have allowed him to do a day out of the 2 that Vettel got - imo Driving a fully known, developed RB6 on the new tires would have been a huge boost to Vettel understanding the Pirelli's simply due to it removing the Car from the equation vs Mark learning a new car and New tires at the same time.

Heidfeld doesnt count, he drove a Toyota on the Prielli's which couldnt be more different from the current Renault and besides he's not all he's cracked up to be, if it wasn't for BMW he would have been out of F1 years ago!
"In downforce we trust"

Mandrake

Diesel wrote:You keep bringing this up and it's a void point. Why? because neither of the McLaren race drivers tested at the first Pirelli test.
I you were talking specifically to me, you're wrong ;) I just took this up from someone else, used that point for the first time ;)

The thing is, the tires at the first test were different to the ones we've seen during winter testing. There were 3 months of development inbetween....

Surely, the feedback of the drivers, of Vettel has led to certain developments, but I doubt you could take too many conclusions from the Pirelli test into the new season.....no DDDs anymore, DRS, refined cars AND refined tires.....I doubt that any Pirelli Test Day driver had a benefit lasting longer than 30 minutes!

McLaren did not attend the Pirelli test, but tested the final spec tires with the old car, getting back to back comparisons....I think this is even more valuable. Still, they're not the new Pirelli masters....although I think on most tracks, the McLaren is quickest with the hard tire.

If Webber really doesn't get behind the tires he might just be getting old, just as MSC said the tires are a mystery to him in 2010.

djos

Mandrake wrote: If Webber really doesn't get behind the tires he might just be getting old, just as MSC said the tires are a mystery to him in 2010.
Webber seems to have gotten his head around them now imo based on his race pace and qually in Valencia.
"In downforce we trust"

Mandrake

That's very well possible :) His drive in Valencia was very good up his stratetic mistake and of course the gearbox problem.

Still, I think his relative performance to Vettel was slightly better last year than this year, it was just masked by Vettel's numerous breakdowns which let him fall back in the standings.

PlatinumZealot

Is it just me, or did Webber slide off the track at the last turn, collect the car then fortunately drove into the pits? He then covered it up as a "strategic mistake?"
I think it was a driving mistake! lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

waynes

can we get rid of Valencia? its the worst race on the calender

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

waynes wrote:can we get rid of Valencia? its the worst race on the calender
You forget this is F1 and the fans have no say. If we did the calander would consist of Spa, Suzuka, Monza and Imola. :mrgreen:

djos

n smikle wrote:Is it just me, or did Webber slide off the track at the last turn, collect the car then fortunately drove into the pits? He then covered it up as a "strategic mistake?"
I think it was a driving mistake! lol
He did do that however the strategic mistake was coming in too early for Primes when the Options where still faster and he still had laps left in the set he was on.
"In downforce we trust"

waynes

andrew wrote:
You forget this is F1 and the fans have no say. If we did the calander would consist of Spa, Suzuka, Monza and Imola. :mrgreen:
good point :D

seriously though, I detest this race, its boring, the track is soulless and its only there because of Alonso.

2 of the most boring races in the same country, get rid of Valencia

djos

Bring back Adelaide instead and have it as an "Asian GP" :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Street_Circuit

"In downforce we trust"

waynes

loved Adelaide, ditch Malaysia for that :D

anyway enough about Valencia being ditched

rfs

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... gp-in-2012

:P

Lorenzo_Bandini

zeph wrote:I wouldn't want to say that RBR is deliberately sabotaging Webber's season, so as for him not to mess with Vettel again, but it is remarkable how he has had car problems in every race this year whereas Vettel has not even had one.

Amazing how they get it right for Vettel everytime, but never for Webber.

That sort of thing does feed into the theory that they want to avoid a repeat of last year.

Where were you last year, when Vettel car was unreliable, and on Webber car there was no problem ?

LionKing

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:
zeph wrote:I wouldn't want to say that RBR is deliberately sabotaging Webber's season, so as for him not to mess with Vettel again, but it is remarkable how he has had car problems in every race this year whereas Vettel has not even had one.

Amazing how they get it right for Vettel everytime, but never for Webber.

That sort of thing does feed into the theory that they want to avoid a repeat of last year.

Where were you last year, when Vettel car was unreliable, and on Webber car there was no problem ?
Absolutely.

On top of that, Vettel's problems last year were much more serious than intermitent KERS issues,etc this year. They were terminal.