British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Poleman

Re: British GP 2011 - Silverstone

ElleMarie wrote:So the main straight its not the same as the last year???? :shock:
(in that case T1 is left corner)

Did i get it wrong?
T1 (Abbey) remains a right hander with the new pitlane layout :wink:

Any info about the DRS zone(s)? in this circuit? My guess is thats going to be the Hangar Straight but im not sure about where the detection zone will be.Possibility is for the detection to be just after Village and the DRS zone on the new back straight.

EDIT: Diesel beat me to it.
Last edited by Poleman on 27 Jun 2011, 00:10, edited 4 times in total.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

wtf didn't noticed that the start/finish line has changed it's position.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I'll write this again in big letters for those who can't see too well or decided to ignore the original request.

If you have any comment about a thread I open, like a race thread, please send me a PM.

I am sure I am not the only one who is bored to death with threads becoming cluttered. The topic is the British GP, not the content of the thread about it!

@TheRMVR - The information in the opening post is taken direct from the FIA website. I did not create it so am not responsible for its content. If there are mistakes, take it up with the FIA. You cannot seriously expect the FIA to get things right 100% of the time(!)

@Poleman - No sign of the DRS zone info on the FIA website. I imagine it won't be until the end of the week/start of next week until the DRS zone(s) is/are confirmed. If the DRS activation zone is on the Hanger Straight, I suspect the the detection zone will be Maggots, however as this is a pretty fast section I doubt DRS will be of too much use. I'll put my money on the dectection zone being Becketts and the activation zone being on the straight down to Brooklands.

@ElleMarie - Find me a flux capacitor and I will be able to get an embedded graphic for 2012. :roll:

Poleman

andrew u mean after Village (as i suggested too)i suppose because Becketts is on the other side! :mrgreen: Misleading graphic :P

andrew
andrew

I'll butcher a graphic in a minute to show exactly where I mean.

EDIT: Crudely butchered graphic added.

DRS zone in purple.
Dectection zone orange.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Detection zone in to club and activation on the pit straight is possible, they seem to prefer using the pit straight. If they do a double zone then the second could the straight you've highlighted.

ElleMarie

andrew wrote:@ElleMarie - Find me a flux capacitor and I will be able to get an embedded graphic for 2012. :roll:
:lol: hahaha, sorry i mixed up the numbers, i meant 2011 and not 2010
sorry for that :roll:

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Detection: Maggots
Zone 1: Hangar Straight
Zone 2: Brookland Straight

haha

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Okay the two DRS-Zones "will be" the Wellington straight and the old start/finish straight after Woodcote, according to MST.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Your first guess is a good one Blacky, although too far away from Pitstraight etc. Dunno if they'd go for it.

If they went for solution 1, then the detection zone would be too far away from the second activation zone imo. Let's rather have 2 detections zones then ;)

andrew
andrew

I think it was the FIA's plan to use the Canadian and European GP's as an experiment with 2 DRS zones and thereafter return back to just 1 DRS zone.

On the strength of the 2 zones in the last to races I would be surprised if they decide on 2 zones again. To be honest, having 2 zones was a joke.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

andrew wrote:I think it was the FIA's plan to use the Canadian and European GP's as an experiment with 2 DRS zones and thereafter return back to just 1 DRS zone.

On the strength of the 2 zones in the last to races I would be surprised if they decide on 2 zones again. To be honest, having 2 zones was a joke.
My second post was not a joke, they will:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 62702.html

It's like I said on the last previous page. Wellington Straight and old S/F-Straight.

andrew
andrew

That's interesting. The 2 zones didn't really add anything so I am surprised that they are sticking with te 2 DRS zones. Thanks for the link.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I can't help but feel that the double DRS zones are designed to cut the lap times for all drivers behind the leader : One zone for overtaking and one zone for playing catchup ...

To me, it looks like the FIA are desperate to do ANYTHING to reduce the field-spread, in the hope that someone might catch Vettel on track (if not in the championship).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

andrew wrote:On the strength of the 2 zones in the last to races I would be surprised if they decide on 2 zones again. To be honest, having 2 zones was a joke.
andrew wrote:The 2 zones didn't really add anything so I am surprised that they are sticking with te 2 DRS zones.
=D>