Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MrBlacky

Re: Belgian GP 2011 - Spa-Francorchamps

beelsebob wrote:I wonder, will they put the DRS zone on the start/finish straight or in blanchimont, given that the kemmel straight already provides lots of overtaking.
DRS is after Eau Rouge: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 73004.html

raymondu999

I don't like that in the slightest. Anyone else think that it will make things too easy for the overtaker?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:I think the biggest question is; will the pole lap do Eau Rouge with DRS engaged? :mrgreen:
In a driving rainstorm :mrgreen:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

Hate to break it to you Alcatraz, but I don't think Eau Rouge can be driven in a T-storm flat out, let alone with DRS :wink:

This race reminds me of a rumor we had last year that a team was going to do a one-off race deal with Kimi; seeing his track record here. Heh. How I'd love to see that happening
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:Hate to break it to you Alcatraz, but I don't think Eau Rouge can be driven in a T-storm flat out, let alone with DRS :wink:

This race reminds me of a rumor we had last year that a team was going to do a one-off race deal with Kimi; seeing his track record here. Heh. How I'd love to see that happening
Thanks for hip-ing me up, like I was totally serious dude! :? :lol:

raymondu999

I know you were sarcastic. So was I :wink:

Also; slightly off-topic, but just thought I'd love to get some opinions here. I think we've seen that after Valencia, Red Bull never really regained anything close to their pre-Silverstone form. Do you folks think that the Renault engine can't stand a race-long stint using off-throttle blowing, and so they have stopped using that, at least at Red Bull? McL, for example, seems comfortable running it in quali + the race
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:I know you were sarcastic. So was I :wink:

Also; slightly off-topic, but just thought I'd love to get some opinions here. I think we've seen that after Valencia, Red Bull never really regained anything close to their pre-Silverstone form. Do you folks think that the Renault engine can't stand a race-long stint using off-throttle blowing, and so they have stopped using that, at least at Red Bull? McL, for example, seems comfortable running it in quali + the race
Not an expert Ray, but I don't think any of the teams can. That may be why we have seen quali times not approaching the track records after they made that setting a parc fermé requisite. I think they have all had to ease off their quali setting, and be more creative with the exhaust affect. If I'm right (which I am not in any way sure of) it would make sense that Red Bull err on the conservative side with the lead they have. It would be interesting to see it go down to the wire and see who has the nuts to chance a blown engine for the WDC and to a lesser degree the WCC.
Just a guess bro!

raymondu999

I agree completely with what you said. But watching quali, you can actually hear the gurgling noise from the McLarens as they go through slow corners, and I can't seem to hear that from the Red Bull now
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

You could also hear it on the Ferrari, I wasn't really listening that closely to the RB Renault, but they never sounded as off-song as the other two do. I'm not saying your wrong. You may be on to something; something over my head :-#

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:I don't like that in the slightest. Anyone else think that it will make things too easy for the overtaker?
Actually I think it's just 100% pointless. You get a lot of chances to pass down the Kemmel straight anyway, because it's dominated by whether you hit the rev limiter or not.

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:This race reminds me of a rumor we had last year that a team was going to do a one-off race deal with Kimi; seeing his track record here. Heh. How I'd love to see that happening
As much as I love Kimi, were he to come back for just one race then he'd totally suck. These cars and tyres are so different to the last F1 car he drove that he'd be chasing the setup and confidence all weekend, and would be lucky to get within 0.5s of his team mate let alone the front of the grid. The same is true for any ex-F1 driver returning to these cars after a couple of years away.

ajdavison2

raymondu999 wrote:I agree completely with what you said. But watching quali, you can actually hear the gurgling noise from the McLarens as they go through slow corners, and I can't seem to hear that from the Red Bull now
Maybe because the RBR's use cold blowing and the McL's use cold blowing? Just a guess.

ell66

donskar wrote:I hope is does NOT rain. I want to see a pure head-to-head race ON THE TRACK. I think it will be Alonso, Vettel, Button, Webber, and Hamilton battling at the at the end. And tifosi will increasingly be asking, "Who replaces Massa next year?"
button very rarley challenges for wins in normal conditions, and he doesnt go that well at spa.

anyone know what compounds are being used?

raymondu999

He's gone out the last two Spa GPs; though not quite his fault, so that's not entirely fair. 2009 Gross jeans took him out, and the 2010 WDC-elect took him out
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jekenev

I hope vettel can actually RACE this time instead of playing bumper cars with jenson!