Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for Vettel to clinch the title here. Will he?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 82

volarchico

Re: Singapore GP 2011 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

MAS has exactly 1/2 the points that HAM currently has. Even with all the "silly mistakes" HAM has made this year, he is still 2x as good as MAS. And yes, some of this has to do with their respective cars but then you compare ALO and MAS and the comparison gains even more credibility.

vall

volarchico wrote:MAS has exactly 1/2 the points that HAM currently has. Even with all the "silly mistakes" HAM has made this year, he is still 2x as good as MAS. And yes, some of this has to do with their respective cars but then you compare ALO and MAS and the comparison gains even more credibility.
what exactly is your point?

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Diesel wrote: So your being sexist now?
So your saying you have to treat women like men, or your being sexist?

Im not so sure diesel....Besides thats off topic.

In context of what happened out on track, I see little wrong with Massa interrupting Hamilton. It was uncouth, yes. But its not as if Massa was reacting over a touch of wheels.
Double standard. If it were the other way round. You'll be the first to say Hamilton physically assaulted Massa.

Massa should apologize publicly.
For Sure!!

wesley123

vall wrote:
volarchico wrote:MAS has exactly 1/2 the points that HAM currently has. Even with all the "silly mistakes" HAM has made this year, he is still 2x as good as MAS. And yes, some of this has to do with their respective cars but then you compare ALO and MAS and the comparison gains even more credibility.
what exactly is your point?
what I think Volarchico was trying to say is that even without the puncture Massa would have finished in the same position, thus he hadnt actually lost anything, so the 'tap' and words are actually pointless.

I actually liked it when I saw it afterwards, adds a bit of much needed rivalry in the paddock, the 'fight' between Massa and Hamilton over the whole weekend makes formula 1 actually interresting, and the tap of Massa was actually the highlight of the weekend. Also really cool to see how Hamilton holds in, his expression really showed him he wanted to hit Massa, but held in. Hamilton (and sure I will be a fanboy here again) really shows to have grown in personality over the pat year. He still shows the same person, but holds in and acts more mature, even when he is furious. From the post race interview it was pretty clear Hasmilton was furious, probably een more at Monazo, yet he holds in.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vall

apologize for what?

I think LH needs another 2009-like year, but this time without the huge advantage he had with KERS and the F-duct.

vall

wesley123 wrote:what I think Volarchico was trying to say is that even without the puncture Massa would have finished in the same position, thus he hadnt actually lost anything, so the 'tap' and words are actually pointless.

I actually liked it when I saw it afterwards, adds a bit of much needed rivalry in the paddock, the 'fight' between Massa and Hamilton over the whole weekend makes formula 1 actually interresting, and the tap of Massa was actually the highlight of the weekend. Also really cool to see how Hamilton holds in, his expression really showed him he wanted to hit Massa, but held in. Hamilton (and sure I will be a fanboy here again) really shows to have grown in personality over the pat year. He still shows the same person, but holds in and acts more mature, even when he is furious. From the post race interview it was pretty clear Hasmilton was furious, probably een more at Monazo, yet he holds in.
I don't think would have finished 9th if it was not for the silly Hamilton mistake.

As for the other point, I totally agree. We need more of this stuff.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ringo wrote:
Double standard. If it were the other way round. You'll be the first to say Hamilton physically assaulted Massa.

Massa should apologize publicly.
Thanks for assuming what I would and wouldnt say :D

If it was physical assault, the world would be in prison by now. Thank the lord there is still a modicum of common sense in this PC world of ours that Massa isnt a criminal for patting a bloke on the shoulder.

Massa will not apologize publicly, and in my book he has nothing to apologise for.
My 2 cents. The end.
More could have been done.
David Purley

JMN
JMN

On a side note. Considering the 2009 formula to some extend was implemented to improve the racing experience, I'm wondering just how beneficial these wider and lower wings are. I know there was a lot fo discussion about this when the formula was just introduced and to all intends and purposes, the wings does contribute more to overall downforce. However, it seems to be the distance a car is able to follow a car in front has not been significantly reduced. You do however see alot more top and midfield drivers dropping more or less out of the game following front wing damage caused by the close quater racing we love to see and hope to facilitate through the rules.

My question is this. Do you reckon the racing would be better with wings and winglets akin those of 2008?

i70q7m7ghw

JMN wrote:On a side note. Considering the 2009 formula to some extend was implemented to improve the racing experience, I'm wondering just how beneficial these wider and lower wings are. I know there was a lot fo discussion about this when the formula was just introduced and to all intends and purposes, the wings does contribute more to overall downforce. However, it seems to be the distance a car is able to follow a car in front has not been significantly reduced. You do however see alot more top and midfield drivers dropping more or less out of the game following front wing damage caused by the close quater racing we love to see and hope to facilitate through the rules.

My question is this. Do you reckon the racing would be better with wings and winglets akin those of 2008?
This year the 'turbulent air zone' has definately been reduced. It didn't work as it should have in 2009 because of the double diffuser. But now that's gone we are actually seeing the true 2009 regulations. In my opinion this and the new tyres have been the main reason for the increase in overtaking this year. KERS helps a bit, and DRS... well it's like marmite.

The wider wings are an issue though. GP2 has adopted them now which I assume is to get drivers ready for the F1 wings. None of the current F1 drivers would have had that benefit, and they would never have driven a car with such a wing. With the increased in overtaking this year, should we be suprised so many wings have gone flying? With a 2008 spec wing Lewis probably wouldn't have made contact with Massa, or it would have been much lighter.

gridwalker

That wasn't assault, it was a wind-up! I do stuff like that all the time and most people can relax and have a laugh about it at a later date.

Much like the racing incident that precipitated the shoulder slapping, maybe emotions led to people taking actions without really thinking them through in advance BUT nobody was hurt and it is time to move along.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Mr Alcatraz

vall wrote:
wesley123 wrote:what I think Volarchico was trying to say is that even without the puncture Massa would have finished in the same position, thus he hadnt actually lost anything, so the 'tap' and words are actually pointless.

I don't think would have finished 9th if it was not for the silly Hamilton mistake.

As for the other point, I totally agree. We need more of this stuff.
Massa likely lost out on two positions. Sutil finished .3 ahead of Massa and Rosberg was only .3 ahead of Sutil. Not only did he waste time getting to the pits added to the total time for a Singapore pit stop (30 seconds in and out) he lost valuable unused rubber from the set that was cut. But much more importantly it changed his track position, and strategy for undercuts and so forth etc.
Those are points Ferrari could really use. Boss should get a 5 spot grid drop in Japan to boot. :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ringo

Massa would have crashed any way. He always does.
Either that or Ferrari botch his pitstop.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

That's not a valid way of reasoning though. Think about it; that way, murder should be legal, as the person would have died anyway.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

komninosm wrote:
Mandrake wrote: tbh I was concentrating on polishing my car and didn't take too many looks to the screen, I must've missed the interview or at least the critical parts of it. Maybe I shouldn't take Singapore as an example for his maturity then, but everywhere else he admitted his faults which was refreshing to see.

I feel if Hamilton did the same he would get a totally different perception.
When did Schumacher ever admit his faults? When he parked his car on last turn in Monaco or when he crashed into other cars on purpose? Or ever really?

Besides Hamilton said it was his fault last race when he touched Kobayashi so there goes your theory out the window.
Again, confirmation bias.
Being fighty are you? After Schumacher's return to F1 he has accepted blame for almost every incident he was involved where he was actually guilty. Take Silverstone vs Kobayashi for example. He wasn't so in his first career, but now he is. The MSC - Perez incident was not 100% MSC, but more MSC's fault......
raymondu999 wrote:I think it's fair to point out that again, he can't see his front wing, and so he wouldn't know if he was behind/ahead of the SC line that time. But that's a topic for another day.
Today's road cars are built in a way which makes it hard to see where the cars end. Can I still say I didn't know I was hitting the other parking car because I didn't see where my car ends?

These drivers must have a clue where their cars end....and if they don't they should leave the extra 10cm for your own safety. Not seing where my front wing is is not a valid point to me, not for a driver that has driven with those large wings from when they were introduced.

ringo

Well revenge was being justified just a moment ago.
That was the reason people think Massa had all right to touch Hamilton, which is BS.
Look on this guy, still has the anger in him:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8HEIDHULQ[/youtube]
Massa shouldn't be putting his hands on anyone, he's not their wife, father, or mother.

Guy's a chump. After this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaoNMFfFFhs[/youtube]
From you own teammate?
He did nothing, sucked it all in, tail between the legs and swallowed his spit.
And he wants to get physical with a competitor?

I can't wait till the next race. lewis should barge past him again in Q1, then Alonso should do the same exact thing in Q2 and see if he shoves Domenicali or Alonso on the shoulder.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKjaBdCa ... re=related[/youtube]
[...]
Last edited by Steven on 28 Sep 2011, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate parts removed
For Sure!!