Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gerhard Berger

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2011 - Yas Marina

Shrieker wrote:Hamilton sets a new precedent by driving the fastest lap around the track and failing to get pole. A question of 'when it matters' ? I personally think he could've repeated his Q2 time had he been the first driver to start the final lap instead of 3rd. Alonso was a few seconds up the road, it might've affected his concentration a bit, if not cause any aero loss. Looked like he was far away so as not to cause any aero loss though.
I always found it quite silly how the Ferraris and Mclarens are almost always the first to cross the line and are jostling for position amongst each other in order to get a clean lap, whilst Vettel is always last over the line and avoids the traffic in front of him.

lebesset

Re: Lewis Hamilton's practice start at Abu Dhabi P3

I noticed this and wondered....maybe on this track a lower 2nd gear make this a possibility with the merc engine torque band so they tried it

notice vettel used 1st
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

scotty86

Just_a_fan wrote:The slight oddity of the current qualifying system is that the fastest lap in qualifying was in Q2, not Q3.
Surely a product of the changing track temp?

This is all getting TOO predictable now. Vettel to cruise off to a 5 second lead tomorrow and just hold station til the flag... :|

ell66

As the drivers said, the conditions changed as qually went on, and by his own admission lewis didnt quite hook it up in q3, would be nice to see him in free air at the front or last to cross the line like seb allways is.
Good job by button to find some extra pace.

For the start tomorrow with it being a very short run to the first corner i expect that everyone will maintain position unless someone gets a very poor start.

Also from watching the race pace times yday, its not clear how strong the bulls are compared to mclaren, they seemed to be running less fuel, well at least i hope they were.

ringo

Shrieker wrote:Hamilton sets a new precedent by driving the fastest lap around the track and failing to get pole. A question of 'when it matters' ? I personally think he could've repeated his Q2 time had he been the first driver to start the final lap instead of 3rd. Alonso was a few seconds up the road, it might've affected his concentration a bit, if not cause any aero loss. Looked like he was far away so as not to cause any aero loss though.
Using button as a yard stick, Hamilton could have beaten Vettel by 2 tenths if he held his form.
But that's how it is with Vettel, he may not be the absolute fastest, but i think he is the best when it comes to qaulifying composure.
For Sure!!

tok-tokkie

Both Virgins & HRTs are outside the 107% rule. Does Charlie Whiting just ignore the rule nowdays?

Sean H

tok-tokkie wrote:Both Virgins & HRTs are outside the 107% rule. Does Charlie Whiting just ignore the rule nowdays?
actually, they are not outside the 107%, so Charlie is doing just fine.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

scotty86

tok-tokkie wrote:Both Virgins & HRTs are outside the 107% rule. Does Charlie Whiting just ignore the rule nowdays?
107% time: 1m46.766s

20. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m44.515s + 4.733
21. Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1m44.641s + 4.859
22. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m44.699s + 4.917
23. Tonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 1m45.159s + 5.377

107% is determined by the best Q1 time...

PlatinumZealot

ringo wrote:
Using button as a yard stick, Hamilton could have beaten Vettel by 2 tenths if he held his form.
But that's how it is with Vettel, he may not be the absolute fastest, but i think he is the best when it comes to qaulifying composure.
Yes, vettel is consistent. Hamilton should have beat him to pole by about 2 tenths, but the conditions were not right for the two Mclaren drivers.

From the conference, Vettel said his car balance got better, while the mclaren's said their car got worse as the night came down.

Vettel deserves it. Still raises the question if the RBR being the most consistent car too.

Nip and tuck.. but i am expecting a close race tomorrow. All Hamilton has to do is stay behind Vettel by about 1.5 seconds for all but 3 laps in the first stint.. then pile on the qually laps for the undercut.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

simieski

I know it's important to Button's driving style to have the car set exactly how he wants it, but does anyone else get bored of every Fri/Sat interview with him moaning and whinging about the balance of the car. I can't help but think the guy sometimes is in need of a nice warm mug of harden the hell up.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:Yes, vettel is consistent. Hamilton should have beat him to pole by about 2 tenths, but the conditions were not right for the two Mclaren drivers.

From the conference, Vettel said his car balance got better, while the mclaren's said their car got worse as the night came down.
Button actually enjoyed his balance better
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66

simieski wrote:I know it's important to Button's driving style to have the car set exactly how he wants it, but does anyone else get bored of every Fri/Sat interview with him moaning and whinging about the balance of the car. I can't help but think the guy sometimes is in need of a nice warm mug of harden the hell up.
Extremely boring, its the only thing he ever mentions, casual fans dont really get it, and hes the only one who always brings it up.

btw has anyone seen the latest bbc video interviews? was quite interesting listening to what hamilton had to say about the start, could be interesting lol.

WhiteBlue

Amazing qualifying for me. I did not think that Seb would be able to turn it around after the first and second qualifying sessions went to the McLarens and particularly Hamilton. But the Vettel factor interfered once again. Seb is so enormously focussed on the technical side that he anticipated the changing track conditions and had his setup prepared for the very last run. Bloody marvellous, I say.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

WhiteBlue wrote:Amazing qualifying for me. I did not think that Seb would be able to turn it around after the first and second qualifying sessions went to the McLarens and particularly Hamilton. But the Vettel factor interfered once again. Seb is so enormously focussed on the technical side that he anticipated the changing track conditions and had his setup prepared for the very last run. Bloody marvellous, I say.
Do you have a source on that? I know he touched on the changing conditions in the post qualifying press conference, but I wasn't aware of any setup changes he made to compensate for that. Would be interested to hear about it.