Brazilian GP 2011 - Interlagos

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Brazilian GP 2011 - Interlagos

You guys realise that Button just drives to what the car can do? Statistically he should finish third and that's exactly what he did.

Vettel's gearbox problem was real. I could hear the gearbox clunking when he came into the pits.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:You guys realise that Button just drives to what the car can do?
That's always kind of been Button's style though hasn't it. The rare-ish times when you see him transcend the car are more born out of opportunistic moments rather than speed/racecraft.

Vettel's gearbox problem actually reminded me of that race in Spain... with Schumacher finishing 2nd, I think? Was that 1994? 1996? Schumacher I think was stuck only in 5th and he switched strategies immediately; using a very weird line to save fuel and tyres. Nowhere near as impressive, obviously.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:I think he's speculating that sluggish up/downshifts might explain why he seemed to drop performance between practice and qualifying.
There were sluggish shifts? As in, are you speculating that that is what happened, or was it actually announced on commentary? I don't remember that happening... but I could be wrong.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

WhiteBlue wrote:
ringo wrote:Conclusion: ... Webber kicked Vettel's but, case close. ...
I nominate ringo for the "joker of the race" award.
:lol: Ok , jokes off. Love sticking it to the vettel fans. :wink:

Vettel did well to finish with the problem. Reminds me of 2009 and 2010 when he seemed to have more bad luck than Webber reliability wise.

[...]

Anyhow I'll be in the silly season thread. Sutil is the man of the match and Shumacher is the clown of the match. Though i don't blame him since he has a racer's instinct. He probably saw Ayrton's ghost in Bruno.
Last edited by Steven on 28 Nov 2011, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed racist remarks
For Sure!!

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

WhiteBlue wrote:For me the wrong man won, if you go by personal performance. On the other hand Webber had enough bad luck this season. So Vettel's technical glitches in Abu Dhabi and Interlagos were a bit of an equalizer for him. This time Mark fought his way up to P2 in qualifying which he did not do consistently this year and was in a perfect position to capitalize from Vettel's gearbox problem. So he deserved to win this race.

I think it is nonsense to call this team order. Webber did not benefit in the championship against Button and Alonso. So Red Bull had no reason to issue team orders, but they had a perfect reason to worry about the loss of a one-two finish if Vettel and Webber had fought very hard on track. Vettel did the right thing to concede the position to Webber and give his team a perfect finish.
Technically it can be seen as a team order (just like "save fuel"). And Webber gained a position in the championship so Red Bull did have a reason to issue the team order.
Senna and Schumacher got it both wrong and both suffered. It was not necessary to have two collisions in one corner. Particularly the second could have been avoided. I hate to see Michael getting involved in such actions. It is nice to see that he is still 100% committed but one has to ask the question why he does not use his considerable advantage of experience to keep out of collisions. Button is a guy who demonstrates that skill and he gets a lot of respect for it.
Did Button not have 2 collisions in Cananda, where he could easily have been on the wrong end of either of them.

As Brundle said, i don't think Schumacher was at fault here.

raymondu999

Gerhard - Button got a drive through for his collision with Hamilton, did he not? He didn't get anything for his collision with Fernando though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S

If they would have let Webber & Vettel race then it would have been touch & go anyway. Webber was around 2-3 seconds behind,even before the pitstop he was not more than 5s behind.

Let's be honest,Webber is the No.2 & Vettel will always get the preference on strategy calls. Red Bull were quick to call Vettel & get him fresher tyres before Webber when they could have let Webber undercut Vettel easily if they wanted. They could have Webber pull a couple of Qyalifying style laps on a clear track when Vettel made his pit-stop. Maybe he would have lost time or maybe he could have pulled a couple of tenths. Who knows???

I never see Webber getting the preference in any stategy calls. Understable anyway since Vettel is younger,quicker,the best qualifier out there & a great racer too. But Webber is capable of pushing vettel.

raymondu999

Mr.S wrote:I never see Webber getting the preference in any stategy calls.
Most teams allow the guy in front to always pit first regardless of what happens.

As an aside, here's BBC's season ending credits. I preferred last year's ending credits though, with Just Drive.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h90G6EeodME[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:
Mr.S wrote:I never see Webber getting the preference in any stategy calls.
Most teams allow the guy in front to always pit first regardless of what happens.

As an aside, here's BBC's season ending credits. I preferred last year's ending credits though, with Just Drive.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h90G6EeodME[/youtube]
Yeh last years was much better, also because it was a truly epic season. Still nothing will beat ITVs 97 ending credits (I miss Murray):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbT_0fb7Wg[/youtube]

raymondu999

For those who have no idea what Gerhard and I are talking about in terms of 2010 ending credits:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzAQCdwEfQM[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

multisync

[quote="ringo"]

Sutils male friend in the pits was wiggling his little girly hands in delight. That's how good the drive was. dwl. :lol:

quote]

That was his brother.. :roll:

Tyler

ringo wrote:Conclusion:

Sutil driver of the race. Give him Massa's seat for 2012!!

Webber kicked Vettel's but, case close. End of season.
See you next year folks!! :lol:
Agreed!!!!!
Nice to see the Force India's doing so well.
At the hands of Sutil, the Force india was the fourth quickest car today and di Resta wasn't far behind him.
I was worried for FI when James Key left for Sauber and I think they lost some other key staff too, didn't they?
Amazingly though they just seem to slowly get better and better each year.
Anyone got any explanations how they're doing so well and managed to get ahead of Sauber and co.?

ell66

Things of note for me:

Vettel would of obviously walked the race and won by 8-10 seconds with out his problem

Alonso was very impressive at the start, shame his car just cant get the harder tyres to work.

wasnt impressed by jenson, alonso showed him up on the first stint, and was actually lapping slower than lewis who had a gear box shift issue, only able to pass alonso as he was over a seond faster on the harder compound.

Before the BBC confirmed I did wonder why hamilton kept falling so far back from alonso/button when coming out of the final turn, but the gearbox was failing early on meaning he wasnt accleating as well, he had very impressive speed all things considered.

I thought senna was completely at fault for his incident with schumacher, was hilarious listening to coulthard trying to lay the blame on shumi.

And a great drive from sutil, his pace was extrmely impressive, done a far better job than than the vastly over rated di resta.

Overall a boring race, shame it didnt rain.