Australian GP 2012 - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: Australian GP 2012 - Albert Park

Just watching the re run AGAIN on sky, and have just noticed you can still access the 9! camera angles,

I was watching the onboard speeds at the end of the pit straight

The cars i saw were as followed

Webber 304kph with DRS on the limiter
Maldonado 309kph with DRS on the limiter
Ricciardo 309kph with DRS on the limiter
Vettel 304kph on the limiter
Perez 310kph with DRS on the limiter
Hamilton 314kph with DRS on the limiter
Kobayashi 304kph appeared DRS was failing

So i would say IF Vettel has caught Lewis on track, he wouldnt have passed him, Vettel only passed Rosberg (a very good pass) because he had great traction out of turn 6/7.

Also, IF Lewis was able to use DRS after the safety car, he would have passed Vettel easy and been able to make use of the fact the Mclaren got heat into its Tyres much quicker.

Although the DRS for a second year, didnt seem very effecting in Oz.
Roll on Malaysia.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Onch

Pup wrote:It's possible but if you check the race progress chart at f1fanatic, and select Hamilton and Perez, you'll see that Perez' tires had gone and he was slowing tremendously. One more lap probably would have put Hamilton out in front and Vettel wouldn't have gained that much.
I have just done that (hadn't done before), and it shows that Perez was slightly faster on lap 15, and about 1.5s faster on lap 16. Perez's pace is constant, while Hamilton's laptime increases dramatically from lap 15. Or are we talking about different charts?

They had no choice but to call Lewis in the pits, hoping that he would come out *just* in front of Perez. Unfortunately it didn't work out...

NathanOlder

If Hamilton made it to turn 1 first, he would have had no troubles all race. Being 2nd to turn 1 he had to wait untill Jenson pitted, so Lewis had to do an Extra lap and we know Jenson is better on his tyres. When Jenson had to pit, Lewis was past his ideal stop.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Onch

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:...What really got me thinking was that Vettel's 2nd stint was longer than the Mclarens' 2nd stint. Despite being on a shorter-life tyre.
What really got me thinking was that Button's 2nd stint was easily as fast as Vettel's 2nd stint. Despite being on a harder tyre. :wink:

ArchAngel

So much discussion about Lewis, and he wasn't even involved in any racing incident this time. :mrgreen: At least he didn't get blown out of the water, unlike in Ferrari. How can Alonso monster the F2012 up to 5th where it doesn't belong, yet Massa's tyres were already fading badly only halfway into his stint? Differences in setup & driving style? Or just Massa finally completely losing the plot (and soon, his race seat)?

Lewis ought to just shake off the sulky mood and psych himself up to bounce back strongly in Malaysia. Although between the two, Jenson also seems to have the mental edge in terms of the ability to quickly recover from a disappointing race.

speedsense

Onch wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:...What really got me thinking was that Vettel's 2nd stint was longer than the Mclarens' 2nd stint. Despite being on a shorter-life tyre.
What really got me thinking was that Button's 2nd stint was easily as fast as Vettel's 2nd stint. Despite being on a harder tyre. :wink:
and low on fuel....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

raymondu999

speedsense wrote:
Onch wrote:
and low on fuel....
It's hard to say really. Vettel could have been managing his tyres while Button was flat out - given that they had the same target lap.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:Ah. Difficult to say though. The heavier fuel would have increased tyre wear and slowed them down by virtue of being heavier.

Wasn't Hamilton only keeping pace after the first 14 or so laps though? For the first 14 or so laps Vettel was mighty quick - quicker than Lewis - just that he couldn't pull the pass off. What really got me thinking was that Vettel's 2nd stint was longer than the Mclarens' 2nd stint. Despite being on a shorter-life tyre.
I can´t say Vettel was mighty quick. He was slightly quicker in the 3-4 final laps before a pit stop but in the beginning Hamilton was quickest then they were more or less even throughout the stint.

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

I say might quick because Vettel was biting 6/7 tenths out of the first two sectors a lot of the time - only to lose it in the final sector, possibly due to dirty air in the final sector.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zoro_f1

race incident between massa and senna.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V89IXK7 ... re=related[/youtube]
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

myurr

zoro_f1 wrote:race incident between massa and senna.
I'd love to know what the stewards know so that they see it as just a racing incident. Going into the corner both cars are side by side and yet Massa has all four wheels off the track pushing into the side of Senna.

Did Massa already have a puncture or other problem at that point and so wasn't able to make the corner? If not then that was dirty driving in my view and should have been punished.

beelsebob

myurr wrote:
zoro_f1 wrote:race incident between massa and senna.
I'd love to know what the stewards know so that they see it as just a racing incident. Going into the corner both cars are side by side and yet Massa has all four wheels off the track pushing into the side of Senna.

Did Massa already have a puncture or other problem at that point and so wasn't able to make the corner? If not then that was dirty driving in my view and should have been punished.
The Sky commentators asserted that Massa already had a puncture from the collision in turn 3, I'm not sure, I suspect he was just being Massa, and ramming into anything that tried to pass him. My bet re stewarding though is... They've decided not to be quite such cu*ts as last year, and not to penalise people for as many contacts, but to determine that most are racing incidents.

raymondu999

Or it could be Johnny Herbert
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ianwit

raymondu999 wrote:I say might quick because Vettel was biting 6/7 tenths out of the first two sectors a lot of the time - only to lose it in the final sector, possibly due to dirty air in the final sector.
If he was close to lewis that would be down to the DRS wouldn't it?
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

beelsebob

ianwit wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I say might quick because Vettel was biting 6/7 tenths out of the first two sectors a lot of the time - only to lose it in the final sector, possibly due to dirty air in the final sector.
If he was close to lewis that would be down to the DRS wouldn't it?
The DRS lewis couldn't use because he wasn't following anyone?