Australian GP 2012 - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

ianwit - Vettel would take 3 tenths in S1 with DRS. Then in S2 he would take another 3 tenths; WITHOUT DRS.

beelsebob - we're talking of the 2nd stint with Vettel just behind Hamilton
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ArchAngel

Re: Australian GP 2012 - Albert Park

beelsebob wrote:...My bet re stewarding though is... They've decided not to be quite such cu*ts as last year, and not to penalise people for as many contacts, but to determine that most are racing incidents.
What about the new rule regarding going back to the racing line in time for corner entry just after the driver moved once to defend against an overtaking attempt?

raymondu999

If they decide to move back towards the racing line; they have to leave a car's width between themselves and the track boundary
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:If they decide to move back towards the racing line; they have to leave a car's width between themselves and the track boundary
All four wheels off the track would seem to violate this rule... :P

I think we're just due for more inconsistency from the FIA. They have history.

GrizzleBoy

raymondu999 wrote:ianwit - Vettel would take 3 tenths in S1 with DRS. Then in S2 he would take another 3 tenths; WITHOUT DRS.

beelsebob - we're talking of the 2nd stint with Vettel just behind Hamilton
If this is the case then why are you ignoring the fact that Hamilton on slower medium tyres to Vettels softs, opened up and maintained 2 second gap over Vettel after they both passed Perez on the same lap for a good few laps?

How much of Vettel taking all those tenths was while Hamilton was behind Perez, because as soon as they got by Perez, Vettel was no longer threatening Hamilton due to the aforementioned 2 second gap.

FrukostScones

myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:If they decide to move back towards the racing line; they have to leave a car's width between themselves and the track boundary
All four wheels off the track would seem to violate this rule... :P

I think we're just due for more inconsistency from the FIA. They have history.

isnt it only the defending car that has to leave space after a direction/lane change...

Massa just ran him off the road, still punishable in my opinion but not because of the new "racing line" rule (but maybe Massa was already past Senna..., so racing incident might be justified because it is a situation difficult to judge)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jeffsvilleusa

From the F1 website:
Senna: "My race was looking better but then I had a tangle with Massa so luck wasn’t on our side today. That’s racing though, and we now look forward to making up for it in Malaysia next weekend."

Massa: "As for the contact with Senna, I think we can consider it a racing incident. A Toro Rosso tried to pass me on the outside of Turn 3 and Bruno had better traction on the inside, so we went into Turn 4 side by side: that where we tangled and it ended as you saw it did."

Both drivers call it a racing incident.

My first impression is Massa was being overly aggressive, so much so that I have never really seen anything like that (bar Alonso on Hamilton Spa 07 minus the contact), I am surprised no penalty was applied. However, seeing the video posted above, perhaps the cars did become literally entangled so they just sort of ran off the road together. You can see Massa's front left appears broken when it returns to view from the camera angle, so it's possible he wasn't in full control during contact.
Box! Box!

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:I say might quick because Vettel was biting 6/7 tenths out of the first two sectors a lot of the time - only to lose it in the final sector, possibly due to dirty air in the final sector.
I don´t know. Vettel said he probably held up Hamilton once he was past so i´m sure there is performance from the car.

You know how Hamilton is when there´s fuel saving going on. Speed just plummets.

Silverstone last year was a good example. I think Button can cope with it and probably uses slightly less fuel over a lap anyways.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I say might quick because Vettel was biting 6/7 tenths out of the first two sectors a lot of the time - only to lose it in the final sector, possibly due to dirty air in the final sector.
I don´t know. Vettel said he probably held up Hamilton once he was past so i´m sure there is performance from the car.
Vettel held Hamilton up in stint 3. I'm talking of stint 2
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pup
Pup

Onch wrote:
Pup wrote:It's possible but if you check the race progress chart at f1fanatic, and select Hamilton and Perez, you'll see that Perez' tires had gone and he was slowing tremendously. One more lap probably would have put Hamilton out in front and Vettel wouldn't have gained that much.
I have just done that (hadn't done before), and it shows that Perez was slightly faster on lap 15, and about 1.5s faster on lap 16. Perez's pace is constant, while Hamilton's laptime increases dramatically from lap 15. Or are we talking about different charts?

They had no choice but to call Lewis in the pits, hoping that he would come out *just* in front of Perez. Unfortunately it didn't work out...
You're correct. I must have been looking at it wrong.

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:
Vettel held Hamilton up in stint 3. I'm talking of stint 2
read grizzleboy´s post regarding Stint 2.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

GrizzleBoy wrote:If this is the case then why are you ignoring the fact that Hamilton on slower medium tyres to Vettels softs, opened up and maintained 2 second gap over Vettel after they both passed Perez on the same lap for a good few laps?
I'm not. I'm putting it down to Vettel maintaining a steady pace. A lap later - which is typically the amount of time team radios are delayed by - Seb said on the radio, "If it is good for the strategy - I can do it." Which reads like he was told to maintain the tyres a bit to stop after Lewis. He was quicker than Lewis in the first two sectors of his inlap IIRC; and was going quicker still in the first two sectors of Seb's inlap.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SiLo

At the end of the day, Button showed the true pace (or as close to it) of that car, which was easily a lot faster than Vettel.
Felipe Baby!

speedsense

raymondu999 wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:If this is the case then why are you ignoring the fact that Hamilton on slower medium tyres to Vettels softs, opened up and maintained 2 second gap over Vettel after they both passed Perez on the same lap for a good few laps?
I'm not. I'm putting it down to Vettel maintaining a steady pace. A lap later - which is typically the amount of time team radios are delayed by - Seb said on the radio, "If it is good for the strategy - I can do it." Which reads like he was told to maintain the tyres a bit to stop after Lewis. He was quicker than Lewis in the first two sectors of his inlap IIRC; and was going quicker still in the first two sectors of Seb's inlap.
Wasn't this the lap that had full course yellows and SC signs? Whitmarsh made some comments about Vettel's speed under yellow? I went back and watched this a second time.. sure enough Vettel spent almost the whole lap at speed. Seems the steward's missed that one.
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

raymondu999

speedsense wrote:Wasn't this the lap that had full course yellows and SC signs? Whitmarsh made some comments about Vettel's speed under yellow? I went back and watched this a second time.. sure enough Vettel spent almost the whole lap at speed. Seems the steward's missed that one.
The SC light came on as Vettel was braking for T11. The first time we see an SC light on track, it's a shot of Vettel braking for T11. Even then it was next to him - he might not have been able to catch the light.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法