Chinese GP 2012 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: Chinese GP 2012 - Shanghai

I could be doing him a disservice if my memory is faulty, but isn't that the ex-Ferrari engineer who analysed the pre-season testing and predicted Red Bull would be half a second ahead of Renault and Ferrari with McLaren and Mercedes another half second behind them?

If so, and my often flaky memory is somehow correct on this occasion, then I wouldn't put too much faith in his analysis.

Yups

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Ferraripilot wrote: Will Buxton on Speed's coverage of the GP stated he spoke with Brawn earlier who advised him Nico was more harsh on tires than Michael.

In the first stint Rosberg had the better tyre management.

Ferraripilot

Yups wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote: Will Buxton on Speed's coverage of the GP stated he spoke with Brawn earlier who advised him Nico was more harsh on tires than Michael.

Nico ran faster because I believe Michael was trying to allow Nico to build a gap, running tail-gunner for Nico so they could gaurantee the win. Michael's start was clearly a tiny bit delayed to Nico and Michael purposely drove behind Nico's racing line to keep other cars at bay into the first turn. Clearly a team effort IMO. Michael was very wise in making sure no one got within a second of him all the while allowing Nico to build a gap. For this, Michael was given priority for first tire change as their strategy. Michael was probably on a 3 stop strat had the race ran.

libano

Ferraripilot wrote:
Yups wrote:

Nico ran faster because I believe Michael was trying to allow Nico to build a gap, running tail-gunner for Nico so they could gaurantee the win. Michael's start was clearly a tiny bit delayed to Nico and Michael purposely drove behind Nico's racing line to keep other cars at bay into the first turn. Clearly a team effort IMO. Michael was very wise in making sure no one got within a second of him all the while allowing Nico to build a gap. For this, Michael was given priority for first tire change as their strategy. Michael was probably on a 3 stop strat had the race ran.
doesn't sound like a 7 time world champion mentality to me. neither one of us knows the answer but to me your theory sounds highly unlikely. would you hold back at the start with a whole pack of world class drivers going after you?

Maelstrom

libano wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:

doesn't sound like a 7 time world champion mentality to me. neither one of us knows the answer but to me your theory sounds highly unlikely. would you hold back at the start with a whole pack of world class drivers going after you?
If Nico didn't have time to build a gap the McLarens would have rapidly overtaken both of them and they might have not even finished on a podium. Also Schumacher has enough experience to delay the cars without losing his track position. He did something similar to ensure Barrichello won. It's possible that the situation could have been reversed if Michael had got a better start and passed Nico for P1 at the race start.

Ofcourse its all speculation. None of it can be proved.

Yups

Ferraripilot wrote:
Nico ran faster because I believe Michael was trying to allow Nico to build a gap,
Surely not because we are still early in the season, both are treated equally and of course Schumacher drove as fast as possible in a clean air. Also it seemed to me Button couldn't take a pressure on Schumacher, so why Schumacher should slow down deliberately in a good position for himself? The reason is simple: He wasn't fast enough in the first stint, he admitted it after the race. And his tyres were finished 1-2 laps earlier than Rosbergs.

ivand911

Both drivers were with the same strategy( 2 stops). Confirmed on TV. Also both put mediums. I don't think MS keep other behind Nico, he just drive with his own speed. Before the stop he was 6 sec behind Nico, not bad. I think he was looking good for podium(P2) with Button problems. We don't know his medium tyre pace, can he challenge Nico I don't know. But ,before there was races where he can close gap from 6-7 seconds. But, P2/P3 was still beautiful result and P3 in WCC. :roll:

Yups

ivand911 wrote:Before the stop he was 6 sec behind Nico, not bad.

He was 7 seconds behind.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:I'm not sure if there has been - but my source is Sean Kelly; who is the official F1 statistician anyways. He's also the one who supplies stats to all the different broadcasters so they can add stuff in during on-track lulls
Link?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

myurr wrote:I could be doing him a disservice if my memory is faulty, but isn't that the ex-Ferrari engineer who analysed the pre-season testing and predicted Red Bull would be half a second ahead of Renault and Ferrari with McLaren and Mercedes another half second behind them?

If so, and my often flaky memory is somehow correct on this occasion, then I wouldn't put too much faith in his analysis.
haha =D>

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I'm not sure if there has been - but my source is Sean Kelly; who is the official F1 statistician anyways. He's also the one who supplies stats to all the different broadcasters so they can add stuff in during on-track lulls
Link?
It was a conversation we had a long time ago. He was telling me that had Hamilton nabbed P1 in India qualifying, he would not have been the pole position man/polesitter.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

strad

Who is this guy?
β€œThe front wheel got loose,”
Schumacher said when analysing his
race. β€œWe need to check why and
exactly what happened. I feel a bit sad
for one of our boys, but I will hug him
later on and calm him down.
And what did they do with the real Michael Schumacher?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

It's called the "hug of disapproval". It's Mafia lite.

volarchico

strad wrote:Who is this guy?
And what did they do with the real Michael Schumacher?
Maybe he grew up?

PlatinumZealot

NonNewtonic wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQZ0LQZ ... ure=relmfu[/youtube]

A very good comparison indeed the only difference between the 2 drivers is that Rosberg is more aggressive in tackling the kerbs while Michael made a few mistakes that cost him a few tenths
Quite the contrary. This video only shows that Mike is not up to scratch in keeping his lines, and his throttle application.
Back in his ferrari days he was KING of steering input and throttle application. God hand and God foot all in one. now, it's obvious that Nico has him beat in those areas plus DRS usage.