Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ral
Ral

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

raymondu999 wrote:Not to mention Hamilton probably had a hell of a victory shot without his penalty
Which flies in the face of the "random" argument, and partly against yours about the elite not being able to win because of the tyres. I'm with you, and in fact I don't think a lot of people would try to argue that Hamilton didn't have the best chance of anyone winning the race if he hadn't been penalised. But why was that?

Because Hamilton did the best job setting his car up to use the tyres on that track. Of anyone, by far with the exception perhaps of Maldonado. The Lotus cars had some issues with the temperatures and you could argue the Ferrari was running a bit better on Sunday than it had done in qualifying. But Hamilton was flying on Saturday and Sunday both, in both conditions on both tyre compounds.

So, Hamilton, in what so far has arguably looked like the best car in the field, did the best job setting it up and would probably have lapped the field, right up to and including his team mate had it not been for the penalty. Proving that it was him, Hamilton who did that job with his engineers, regardless of the tyres. Because his team-mate went nowhere in the same car with the same tyres. That elite enough for you? How about Alonso consistently out-performing his team mate every single time they've been on the track? How about Raikkonen's 14 point advantage over his team-mate in the championship standings, despite all his qualifying mishaps and mistakes?

The cream still comes to the top. They just have to work a bit harder for it, especially because there are more competitors now close enough to take advantage of any mistakes.

kemalcan

Did anyone notice this or any news about Vergne starting on different compounds?

image from reddit

Nando

what the?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

i70q7m7ghw

That's illegal...

Just to add to the devalued GP victories discussion. When an underdog won a race, Vettel in Monza in a Torro Rosso, it was an indication of a true talent, something remarkable. Does anyone here believe Pastor Maldonado or Nico Rosberg are going to go on to dominate F1 for 2 seasons after showing they can win a race?

I've got no problem with a more level playing field, but in my opinion we don't have a level playing field, there seems to be some strange handicapping going on.

raymondu999

Diesel wrote:That's illegal...

Just to add to the devalued GP victories discussion. When an underdog won a race, Vettel in Monza in a Torro Rosso, it was an indication of a true talent, something remarkable. Does anyone here believe Pastor Maldonado or Nico Rosberg are going to go on to dominate F1 for 2 seasons after showing they can win a race?

I've got no problem with a more level playing field, but in my opinion we don't have a level playing field, there seems to be some strange handicapping going on.
Aye - My whole discussion really is saying that the midfield cars that get their tyres right seem QUICKER than top teams that didn't get them right. Case in point - I don't believe for one bit that Maldonado as a driver is quicker than Alonso. But he was able to so easily stay ahead of a charging Alonso doing qualifying laps (causing his tyres to go off after something like 9 laps?) while managing tyres. It's abso-mega-lutely absurd.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

And people believe the FIA are effective when policing the rules... That car fails scrutineering pure and simple, and yet it wasn't even detected!?

FW17

raymondu999 wrote:

Aye - My whole discussion really is saying that the midfield cars that get their tyres right seem QUICKER than top teams that didn't get them right. Case in point - I don't believe for one bit that Maldonado as a driver is quicker than Alonso. But he was able to so easily stay ahead of a charging Alonso doing qualifying laps (causing his tyres to go off after something like 9 laps?) while managing tyres. It's abso-mega-lutely absurd.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

ArchAngel

Perhaps someone could verify from a different feed whether Vergne's mixed-compound stunt actually happened during the race?

I know it's illegal as per current rules, but frankly i don't see why teams shouldn't be allowed to mix compounds any which way they see fit to achieve their target setup.

Mr Alcatraz

Pierce89 wrote:so.. The championship leader(tied) only has the 7th fastest car, and Sauber is the best. I know things have been wild, but, in Charles Barkley's words: "Come on, man"
Word up bro 8)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

i70q7m7ghw

ArchAngel wrote:Perhaps someone could verify from a different feed whether Vergne's mixed-compound stunt actually happened during the race?

I know it's illegal as per current rules, but frankly i don't see why teams shouldn't be allowed to mix compounds any which way they see fit to achieve their target setup.
Says 'Lap 5/66' which to me is clear it's the race.

Mandrake

I guess Vergne had some contact at the start, rubbing off the paint from the rear tire.

motobaleno

raymondu999 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
Don't you really think that your picture is a little bit too static?
following strictly your logic it will be meaningless to do the races allover the year. After the presentation of the cars you do some tests in 2 or 3 tracks and that's all: you know which is the fastest car and you have your championship winner.

raymondu999

I don't mind mixed results - but cars can seem to fluctuate over 6/7 wcc positions race by race in terms of speed.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Intego

I didn't find a picture of the starting grid, but here's picture from right after the start where you can clearly see the yellow markings on Vergne's left rear. And the FIA race chart tells us thae he pitted in lap 11. So Mandrakes guessing seems to be right even though the contact must have happened between laps 1 and 5.

"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

MrBlacky