2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ced381

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

Mr Alcatraz wrote:I'm hoping for Grosjean to pull off the victory so Quebec will have someone to talk about beside Jacques Villeneuve.
So because he's from France, people from Quebec will talk about his win (if he wins) more than anyone else's win..?! Makes sense I guess... Actually I can't recall the last time someone spoke about Villeneuve around here, nobody gives a s**t anymore... And yeah we spoke a lot about him a few years ago; he's the only Canadian WDC, the last North American WDC, and the only North American WDC of the last 34 years. ;)

Rant over.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Gridlock

raymondu999 wrote:The Lotus people apparently have a theory that it's the smooth asphalt in Monaco that caused their severe rear tyre destruction (as opposed to degradation) - and if that were true, then good luck for the race to Lotus.
This would fit with the theory that wheelspin is terminal for these tyres.

Gridlock

ced381 wrote:So because he's from France
He's from Switzerland!

clipsy1H

Re: 2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999 wrote:Bets on first person into the wall of champions? Having said that I don't remember many in the last two years. Kobayashi early in the race in 2010, then Vettel in Free Practice in 2011.
Grosjean push Michael into wall for sure!! Will be funny to see another fresh-meat ruine a reace. But nevermind !! in qualiyfing Mercedes and McLaren fight for pole.

1.Hamilton
2.Rosberg
3.Button
4.Grosjean
5.Michael
6.Kimi.
7.Alonso
8.Perez
9.Massa
10.Maldonado.

G37Sam

What sucks is that a Euro 2012 game starts 45 mins into the Canadian GP, that is going to start wars in the bars here in Dubai

Mr Alcatraz

ced381 wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:I'm hoping for Grosjean to pull off the victory so Quebec will have someone to talk about beside Jacques Villeneuve.
So because he's from France, people from Quebec will talk about his win (if he wins) more than anyone else's win..?! Makes sense I guess... Actually I can't recall the last time someone spoke about Villeneuve around here, nobody gives a s**t anymore... And yeah we spoke a lot about him a few years ago; he's the only Canadian WDC, the last North American WDC, and the only North American WDC of the last 34 years. ;)

Rant over.
For starters I am a Franco-American and damn proud of it.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/80648.html
This is the 11th anniversary of a feud between Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya after they clashed with blocking moves in practice.

“Do that again and I will put you in the wall,” Montoya told Villeneuve, who replied: “Yeah, and I will put you in the trees”.

He even grabbed the Colombian by the throat at one point.

“There is no respect amongst them and they do things that you would see in Formula Four and that should never happen in Formula One,” added Villeneuve. “They don’t even realise it. So there seems to be little common sense. But it’s also down to stewards who don’t seem to punish that, or when they do they punish it the wrong way round. Everybody has fallen asleep on the fact that F1 is dangerous and not a video game
Like it says.....

http://www.jv-world.com/news_detail.htm ... ge-team-59

And last but not least:
http://jv-lounge.forum-phpbb.ca/f5-worl ... ional-talk

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnap for the win

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Mestrades

Saturday:
-Michael
-Rosberg
-Hamilton
-Button
-Alonso
-Vettel
-Massa
-Grosjean
-Webber
-Vergne

Just_a_fan

G37Sam wrote:What sucks is that a Euro 2012 game starts 45 mins into the Canadian GP, that is going to start wars in the bars here in Dubai
If you lived in the UK you wouldn't have that problem as we're having to watch a "highlights" race at midnight unless we pay even more money to the Aussie scumbag... :(

I watched the last highlights programme - it was mostly the hired talking heads rabbiting on with about 30 minutes of actual cars-on-track highlights. Pointless.

I'm still looking for a pub hereabouts that shows F1 so I can at least have a pint or two whilst watching it live...

I love the Canadian GP too, it's one of the better ones in my view.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FrukostScones

dry and warm 23-27°C weekend predicted, Lotus 4stopper win or dominant Red Bull, that is the question right now (for me). :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Chuckjr

Does anyone here know which cars work best in that temperature range? I'm curious which teams should go well in that weather condition.
Watching F1 since 1986.

beelsebob

Chuckjr wrote:Does anyone here know which cars work best in that temperature range? I'm curious which teams should go well in that weather condition.
Australia suggests McLaren.

FrukostScones

Australia: 19°C quali: 1/2 HAM/BUT ........... 22°C race: 1/2 BUT/VET.....................tyres: soft/medium, grip-level: low
Malaysia: 31-32°quali:1/2 HAM/BUT............ 26°C race (wet/dry): 1/2 ALO/PER.......tyres:medium/hard, grip-level: high
China: 20-21°C quali: 1/2 ROS/HAM.............22°C race: 1/2 ROS/BUT..................tyres: soft/hard, grip -level: high
Bahrain: 30-31°C quali: 1/2 VET/HAM.............31-33°C race: VET/RAI..................tyres: soft/medium: grip-level: medium
Spain: 28°C quali: 1/2 HAM/MAL/ALO..............22-23°C race: MAL/ALO................. tyres: soft/hard...grip-level: high
Monaco: 23°C quali: 1/2 MSC/WEB/ROS............. 21°C race: WEB/ROS.............tyres:supersoft/soft....grip-level: medium

(Canada: 23°quali: 1/2 ROS/GRO....................27°C race: GRO/VET).............tyres: supersoft/soft....grip-level: medium
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ced381

Gridlock wrote:He's from Switzerland!
Thanks for enlightening me. I didn't know that, all I knew is that his current nationality is French.
Mr Alcatraz wrote:For starters I am a Franco-American and damn proud of it.
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/80648.html
This is the 11th anniversary of a feud between Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya after they clashed with blocking moves in practice.

“Do that again and I will put you in the wall,” Montoya told Villeneuve, who replied: “Yeah, and I will put you in the trees”.

He even grabbed the Colombian by the throat at one point.

“There is no respect amongst them and they do things that you would see in Formula Four and that should never happen in Formula One,” added Villeneuve. “They don’t even realise it. So there seems to be little common sense. But it’s also down to stewards who don’t seem to punish that, or when they do they punish it the wrong way round. Everybody has fallen asleep on the fact that F1 is dangerous and not a video game
Like it says.....

http://www.jv-world.com/news_detail.htm ... ge-team-59

And last but not least:
http://jv-lounge.forum-phpbb.ca/f5-worl ... ional-talk

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnap for the win
You seem a lot more interested in reading J. Villeneuve-related stuff than most Quebecers are... ;)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Gridlock

ced381 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:He's from Switzerland!
Thanks for enlightening me. I didn't know that, all I knew is that his current nationality is French.
There's 2 things French about him: His racing licence (and I don't think Switzerland even has a racing org to issue them) and his TOTAL sponsorship.

He may have acquired a French passport recently (his website says he is "French-Swiss") but he was born and raised in Switzerland. They're a discreet bunch.

I only point all this out in advance of all the commentary talking about how a Canadian race is "as close to a home race as he'll get".

fiohaa

Ive never rated him as a driver, but
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... eneuve-Q-A

100% agree with every single thing Jacques says here.
Not only is it just refreshing to hear someone in the press speak like this, against the grain, against the usual anodyne PR dribble, but he justifies all his answers properly with examples.

amazing.