2012 European GP - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 European GP - Valencia

myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:When does this race actually see rain on the calendar year? I mean, what months generally? The race should be moved to then.
If we have to keep this race then that would be one way to try and inject some interest in it!
I'm serious though - that's what they did to China, remember?

And my sentence was worded rubbish. I meant when does this REGION see rain.
@FrukostScones - they've been running around several threads insulting anyone who disagrees with them, just ignore them and maybe they'll go away.
I resent that. All I said was that it wasn't exactly PR-smart of Hembery to voice out such definite predictions. I made no remark on lottery/luck/etc. etc.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall

That's of no consequence at all.

At any rate, Valencia sees the most rain from September to December according to WikiPedia, around 2" per month, and I like the idea of rescheduling the race to try to take advantage of that. A sprinkle or two of rain wouldn't be a disservice this circuit at all.

When does it start alternating with Barcelona?

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:
myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:When does this race actually see rain on the calendar year? I mean, what months generally? The race should be moved to then.
If we have to keep this race then that would be one way to try and inject some interest in it!
I'm serious though - that's what they did to China, remember?

And my sentence was worded rubbish. I meant when does this REGION see rain.
I was serious too! I really think it's a good idea. If we have to keep that circuit then at least try and make the races a little more unpredictable and dull.
raymondu999 wrote:
@FrukostScones - they've been running around several threads insulting anyone who disagrees with them, just ignore them and maybe they'll go away.
I resent that. All I said was that it wasn't exactly PR-smart of Hembery to voice out such definite predictions. I made no remark on lottery/luck/etc. etc.
Really wasn't directed at you!

myurr

bhallg2k wrote:At any rate, Valencia sees the most rain from September to December according to WikiPedia, around 2" per month, and I like the idea of rescheduling the race to try to take advantage of that. A sprinkle or two of rain wouldn't be a disservice this circuit at all.

When does it start alternating with Barcelona?
Perhaps if one of the asian races moved to the front of the calendar around the Malaysian GP, then Valencia could slot in after Monza towards the end of September.

i70q7m7ghw

Hail22 wrote:As much as i find it amusing I doubt that will happen...however if we were to entertain this idea and Schumacher wins...Not only would Pirelli be called upon by the WMSC to defend themselves over "fixing" the races with bias, but the FoM and FIA would be equally accountable (As the FIA check tyres to make sure they're legitimate for that race via barcodes on the sidewall of the tyres).
Because printing a barcode on the sidewall of a tyre makes it legit #-o

raymondu999

myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Really wasn't directed at you!
Apologies. Just had to indemnify myself. Just in case :mrgreen:
bhallg2k wrote:When does it start alternating with Barcelona?
Next year I think. I think next year we don't see Valencia, and in 2014 we don't see Catalunya?
Diesel wrote:
Hail22 wrote:As much as i find it amusing I doubt that will happen...however if we were to entertain this idea and Schumacher wins...Not only would Pirelli be called upon by the WMSC to defend themselves over "fixing" the races with bias, but the FoM and FIA would be equally accountable (As the FIA check tyres to make sure they're legitimate for that race via barcodes on the sidewall of the tyres).
Because printing a barcode on the sidewall of a tyre makes it legit #-o
From a tyre science point of view, actually, what CAN the FIA do? I mean, I'd imagine they can stick a spindly ruler into the wear-measurement holes and find the same amount of tread. Sure. But how can the FIA ensure that it's the same compound, short of taking a sample of rubber from each tyre and playing with it? Honest question as I know nothing about this.

In other news, has anyone played around with the James Allen strategy calculator before? He claims to have it up to date every race with tyre data straight from Pirelli. I doubt it would be super accurate, given that each car would have different difficulties and strengths in heating vs preserving the tyres, but it's fun to play with nonetheless.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/race-strategy-calculator/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SeijaKessen

myurr wrote:

I apologize for sometimes expecting more out of what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport...

...even though Le Mans has already taken that title away.

myurr

SeijaKessen wrote:
myurr wrote:

I apologize for sometimes expecting more out of what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport...

...even though Le Mans has already taken that title away.
One poor circuit doesn't make for a poor season. And how would an LMP1 car stack up against an F1 car round a circuit like Spa, for example? The F1 car would thump it! And you can't be talking about the close competition between Audi and Audi and Audi....

Steven
Owner

May I kindly ask to discuss the European GP instead of ranting on about how Pirelli have or have not made this season a lottery? This has been discussed tirelessly and it seems nobody is going to change opinion anyway...

Anyway, my bet for Valencia is Alonso, if only for his home crowd to finally see their man flourish there. Furthermore, Ferrari have announced they will have yet another upgrade package on their car, and if it proves as efficient as the last updates, it could well help the Spaniard achieving his goal.

I'm not sure what McLaren will do for Button though, I'm unaware of any major car updates or changes for them, so it could be another struggle for the Brit.

SeijaKessen

I don't think Button's problem can be solved through a package upgrade or anything of that nature.

Some drivers need to learn how to function without a car that may be perfectly suited to their utmost liking.

Alonso did a pretty good job of making do with what the F2012 started out as.

ajdavison2

I think Hamilton mentioned that they were bringing significant updates to Valencia as they didn't bring anything to Canada. Can't remember which interview it was in though.

myurr

ajdavison2 wrote:I think Hamilton mentioned that they were bringing significant updates to Valencia as they didn't bring anything to Canada. Can't remember which interview it was in though.
If I remember correctly he said something more along the lines of they need to bring significant updates as they didn't for Canada. Could be mistaken though.

For Button my belief is that it's a setup issue for him and that it's up to him and his engineer to sort it out. It's a bit mean to compare him to Alonso though, as in my opinion Alonso and Hamilton are on another level compared to the rest when it comes to driving around the problems with a car. All the others are world class drivers, but those two stand head and shoulders about the others when the car is not to their liking.

QLDriver

raymondu999 wrote:From a tyre science point of view, actually, what CAN the FIA do? I mean, I'd imagine they can stick a spindly ruler into the wear-measurement holes and find the same amount of tread. Sure. But how can the FIA ensure that it's the same compound, short of taking a sample of rubber from each tyre and playing with it? Honest question as I know nothing about this.
I'd have thought it wouldn't be difficult to get enough rubber to run some testing on. Given that the sample sizes for the kind of thermal-analytical testing that you need are usually measured in tens of mg's, even a few pieces of molding flash would probably suffice to get a good analysis of the properties and composition.

PlatinumZealot

QLDriver wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:From a tyre science point of view, actually, what CAN the FIA do? I mean, I'd imagine they can stick a spindly ruler into the wear-measurement holes and find the same amount of tread. Sure. But how can the FIA ensure that it's the same compound, short of taking a sample of rubber from each tyre and playing with it? Honest question as I know nothing about this.
I'd have thought it wouldn't be difficult to get enough rubber to run some testing on. Given that the sample sizes for the kind of thermal-analytical testing that you need are usually measured in tens of mg's, even a few pieces of molding flash would probably suffice to get a good analysis of the properties and composition.
FIA can so some sort of scientific analysis I think. Or FIA could just randomly mix the tyres up before they assign them to teams. I think that ensures that any "winning" tyres get spread around like Dominoes. I don't know if they do that though, but they should.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall

I don't believe this is actually happening, but Pirelli has tire data from every team and every driver, and if they wanted to influence the finishing order, they could provide tires that would tend to cater to a specific data set. I think that's as much of a nudge as they could give, and it's by no means a guarantee. (Again, it's also very likely not happening.)