2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
strad

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

I'd like to see the telemetry...I still think Pastor, however inadvertently, cut a perfect light...It appears worse because everyone else was slow getting away.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

amouzouris

strad wrote:I'd like to see the telemetry...I still think Pastor, however inadvertently, cut a perfect light...It appears worse because everyone else was slow getting away.
Sky F1 analysed it after the race an he started before the red lights where off

stefan_

Telemetry bullcrap - if you see Charlie shake his head or point the finger, then it's a jump start.

Or you can look here. Nowhere near the lights, and Pastor himself told the media that "the hand slid off the clutch leiver" before the lights went off and if Pastor admits it, than it really happened.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_CBeq01OoU[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Richard

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

gilgen wrote:Oh Richard. This is a McLaren thread and here you are trying to turn it into a Maldonado subject. Have to report this 'off topic' comment!
oops! I had too many tabs open and clicked on the wrong one - this conversation should be in the race thread.

... it is now ;)

myurr

strad wrote:I'd like to see the telemetry...I still think Pastor, however inadvertently, cut a perfect light...It appears worse because everyone else was slow getting away.
Sky had an overhead shot that showed Pastor was already a couple of metres out of his pit box by the time the lights went out. It was a lot closer than it first appeared, given the size of his advantage, but it was clear cut. He had a couple of metres of movement PLUS the time it took everyone else to react to the lights going out.

The starts are electronically monitored so if someone jump starts the FIA know about it with a very high degree of accuracy.

Dragonfly

myurr wrote: ............
The starts are electronically monitored so if someone jump starts the FIA know about it with a very high degree of accuracy.
This is really clear cut and any doubt is just a fan frustration.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

beelsebob

You can see in the video above that his wheels start to move 1-2 frames before the lights change. He was *really* close, but he did jump it by about 0.04 seconds.

Richard

As I recall from Alonso’s jump start in China 2010, there are sensors in the grid under each car that are used to monitor jump starts. It’s a pretty clear cut decision for the stewards & teams.

The jump start is based on car movement relative to the tarmac, the driver can do whatever they want with the brakes and clutch, as long as the car doesn't move.

raymondu999

Interestingly - if you move before the lights go out, but stop yourself while you're still behind the box - ie you gained no position, track position wise, I believe it's no penalty. Watch Suzuka 2010 - Vettel rolls off pole before the lights go out, but he stops himself before the car leaves the grid slot (his front wing is still behind the white line). He did the stop before the red lights disappeared. No penalty.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

I guess it is because he was stationary when the lights went out - noting wrong with that.

Shrieker

Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

andrewf1

Shrieker wrote:How Maldondo retired:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/09/05/f ... ash-glock/
Oh Maldonado.... :roll: lol

RB7ate9

It annoyed me so much how poorly Spa was covered by SpeedTV. Lap after lap of procession was shown, then cut to Maldonaldo on the side of the track and THEY NEVER SHOWED WHAT HAPPENED. Ridiculous. On top of that, with the last half-dozen laps left in the race, Webber leads Massa, then Massa LEADS Webber? How did that happen? When did that happen? With so little actually happening on the track, how could they not bother to show Massa gaining a position on #2 in the WDC?

Aggravating.

NonNewtonic

RB7ate9 wrote:

It annoyed me so much how poorly Spa was covered by SpeedTV. Lap after lap of procession was shown, then cut to Maldonaldo on the side of the track and THEY NEVER SHOWED WHAT HAPPENED. Ridiculous. On top of that, with the last half-dozen laps left in the race, Webber leads Massa, then Massa LEADS Webber? How did that happen? When did that happen? With so little actually happening on the track, how could they not bother to show Massa gaining a position on #2 in the WDC?

Aggravating.
The broadcast of the F1 races are not contolled by SpeedTV its directed by a team under Formula One so you can't blame SpeedTV for that

RB7ate9

NonNewtonic wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:

Aggravating.
The broadcast of the F1 races are not contolled by SpeedTV its directed by a team under Formula One so you can't blame SpeedTV for that
Roger that. Aggravated at SOMEONE!